ADVERTISEMENT

Woad, Williams lead FSU at Annika Intercollegiate

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Sophomore Lottie Woad and junior Kaylah Williams are tied for 12th place in the individual standings, and the No. 10 ranked Florida State Women’s Golf team is tied for seventh place in the team standings after the first round of the Ninth Annual ANNIKA Intercollegiate presented by 3M at the Royal Golf Club. Woad and Williams carded scores of 70, while senior Charlotte Heath totaled a first round score of 71. The Seminoles counted three of their four scores at under par to finish with a 1 under par team score of 287.

Florida State closed the round with a flourish – seven total birdies on their final two holes (10 holes total) to finish under par as a team.

Both Woad and Heath were named to the ANNIKA Award Preseason Watch list just before the tournament began with nine of the nation’s top-25 teams in the field.

South Carolina, which had each of its five golfers finish under par in the first round, holds the team lead after the first of three rounds were played. The Gamecocks hold a four stroke lead over Wake Forest and San Jose State. Louise Rydqvist of South Carolina shot a 6 under par score of 66 and leads the field by one stroke. Lucia Lopez-Ortega of San Jose State, Kiara Romero of Oregon, and Maylis Lamoure of South Carolina are all tied for second place in the individual standings with 5 under par scores of 67.

“Each of the girls’ attitudes were great, they battled throughout the round, and we made up six shots on the final two holes,” said Head Coach Amy Bond. “We shot 1 under par as a team, and I’m really proud of our finish. We are looking to gain experience, get comfortable and figure out where we need to improve in all aspects during the fall. I am pleased with how the team played today for the first round of the year.”

Woad, who was named a First-Team All-American and the National Freshman of the Year (co) by the WGCA in 2023, picked up right where she ended her freshman season. She totaled a team-leading four birdies, was never above par following a birdie on her first hole, and is just four strokes out of the lead heading into the second round of the tournament on Tuesday.

Woad totaled 14 rounds scored at 70 or lower in her first season as a Seminole, and added to her career total in the first event of her sophomore season. She has now carded 10 consecutive rounds scored at 74 or lower.

Williams, in her third season as a Seminole, finished with her career-best single-round score of 70 in the first round. She carded three birdies and the second eagle of her Florida State career. Williams was 5 strokes under par on her final 10 holes of the round with her eagle, three birdies, and six of her final nine holes scored at par. She was one of four players in the field of 60 to card an eagle in the first round.

“I felt really good in the first round,” said Williams. “I got off to a rough start, but told myself that there were so many holes left and that I can pull this back. My best shot today was hitting my 3 wood to seven feet on hole No 2 and sinking that for eagle. I also made a 36 footer for birdie on hole No. 8.”

Heath, a National Player of the Year finalist as a junior, is just five strokes out of the lead after firing a 1 under par score of 71. She’s in a tie for 19th place in the individual standings. Following a nearly clean card (only one bogey) over the course of her first 16 holes, Heath birdied her final two holes of the round to finish under par. Heath was never more than one stroke over par at any time during the first round.

The Seminoles will play with Texas and Virginia in Tuesday’s second round.

9th Annual ANNIKA Intercollegiate/Sept. 11-13, 2023

Royal Golf Club/Lake Elmo, Minn./Par 72

T7/12. Florida State 287

T12. Lottie Woad 70

T12. Kaylah Williams 70

T19. Charlotte Heath 71

T53. Alice Hodge 76

T59. Bella Bugg 79

9th Annual ANNIKA Intercollegiate/Sept. 11-13, 2023

Royal Golf Club/Lake Elmo, Minn./Par 72

1.-South Carolina, 273

T2.-Wake Forest, 277