ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup 2014 Draw

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Here's to hoping we end up in England or France's group of the Pot 4 teams. And one of Colombia/Uruguay/Switzerland from Pot 1! Oh, and if we can avoid Ghana/Ecuador/Chile from Pot 2, that would be nice as well

OUCH!!
blackeye.r191677.gif
U.S. gets worst travel schedule, Germany, Portugal, and our nemesis Ghana (in our opener). Could it be any worse??

Worst travel and draw i'd ever imagine. That travel alone makes no sense, then two top 5 teams and Ghana who owns us. Yet a few wild cards from our region get easy groups. par for the course with FIFA.

I will say Brazil should be envious of Argentina. Blatter's boy toy Messi got the easiest group and the easiest 2nd round matchup with perhaps France. Brazil will get loser of Netherlands/Spain in 2nd round, unheard of for a host power.

We'll beat Ghana and beat/draw Portugal, and make it through.

Chile will advance over the Netherlands.

Originally posted by minernole:
We'll beat Ghana and beat/draw Portugal, and make it through.

Chile will advance over the Netherlands.
I'm also leaning toward this the more I digest the draw. Overall, we are Group of Death, but I'd rather face Ghana and Portugal than the Dutch and Chile, or England and Italy in the other tough groups. I think we can beat Ghana because our mental game is improving and they are not more talented than us, and I just don't think highly of Portugal. It will be very tough but we do have a chance.The worst thing is the travel, we have the most remote and northern cities and a game (maybe the pivotal game against Portugal) in the middle of the freaking rain forest.

We're used to playing in Central America and Portugal has probably not experienced anything like it. Advantage USA

Climate wise Portugal will be fine, but the Germans can't be happy about the potentials 90/90 for this tourney IMHO.

I wonder where June camp will be? My guess is Dallas or Miami.

Ghana hasn't beaten the us last two world cups because player for player they were better. They've simply outrun the slow USA team in midfield and defense. Donovan was our only player who could run with them 4 years ago, as a result no surprise if a Shea makes this team, or a Chandler, even if they're not playing much for club.

Must get 3 vs Ghana to have any shot the hope for draws when opponents play each other.

I could see Chile advancing too but at expense of Spain, they match up horribly with Netherlands. I expect Spain's run to end early by 2nd rd at latest.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Question - the more i pay attention to international soccer, the more it sounds like the ultimate corrupt good ol' boys club, on par with the IOC. Is that a fair perception? Do teams outside traditional powers get screwed over or do they get a fair shake?

How does Mexico get a better group then us?

Former ntnole,
Loaded question, more of a whoever is in power now has way too much power and money but definitely a bit of old boys for sure. It will be that way until a fair pres takes over or a USA or Ivory Coast wins a World Cup. Then Europe will have to listen.

Originally posted by Formerly Rockymtnole:
Question - the more i pay attention to international soccer, the more it sounds like the ultimate corrupt good ol' boys club, on par with the IOC. Is that a fair perception? Do teams outside traditional powers get screwed over or do they get a fair shake?
Corruption. They just changed the USA/Portugal game to 3 hours earlier due to "heat concerns". Why didn't they make that time-change for that match prior to the 2 teams being announced? It's pretty obvious heat favors USA in that match.

agreed, They actually moved it back 3 hours which hurts us and screws Portugal on tv but i think you meant that too.

England and Italy got all emotional and got their games moved moved up so they don't have to stay up too late in Europe, boo hoo. more us fans need to tune in, tv money talks eventually and unless we want to see USA play bad slots in Russia and Qatar we need more viewership!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT