ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup Of Hockey

Rishi

Contributor
Mar 31, 2002
anyone been watching the pre-tournament exhibition games?

Canada/U.S.A. were some pretty intense games. Lot of edge there. Both teams showed that they are true contenders IMO.

Team North America (NA) has made Team Europe look like they were skating in sludge. Chara looks done. Josi looks like the only D who can play with the speed that NA has. In today's (Sunday's) 2nd game b/w the 2 teams NA finally had to do some work in the 3rd period as Europe finally showed some pride and came back from 5-1 down to 5-4. MacKinnon has been NA's best Forward so far IMO. Ekblad the best D (which was to be expected).

I didn't watch any of the other games as a whole, but have seen highlights and there have been ups and downs from the other 4 squads (as expected) with them all splitting their first 2 exhibition games. Biggest surprise I guess is that Ovechkin is on the 3rd line for Russia.

Looking forward to the real games starting on Saturday - I'm going to the Canada/Czech Republic game.

Hope some of the other hockey guys on here are as interested as I am and we can have some good discussion on here for the next couple of weeks.

I watched most of the 1st US/Canada game. I watched some of the 2nd game after the fact. I also watched some of the NA game. They are unbelievably fast. If they can gel, I think they can actually make some noise in this thing. Goaltending will be the teller there, but the goaltenders then have played in some pretty big games in their young careers. I really like this format with the NHL rules. Should be fun to watch. I just wish no Bolts were on the teams so we could avoid possible injuries and get some rest, but I will root on my guys.

On a side note, I really want a Hedman Sweden jersey, but I'm not paying $220 for it. They have some star players already made up for $189 on the nice jersey. Kind of surprised they don't have a Stamkos, but I guess the Canadians are pissed that he chose to stay in Tampa!!!

The thing that is gonna make this WCOH hard to watch in the commentators. Melrose and Levy are horrible. Then they go to the studio and you got Hull and Chelios. As much as I hate Melrose he is not a bad studio guy, but he is not good at play by play. I hung out with Hull some last year and he is a great guy but him and Chelly are horrendous. Good thing hockey will be good. May watch it on mute.

What a disappointing showing by the U.S. First loss was bad, last night they were dominated by the Canadians for most of the game. There were times in the game when it was even strength that the Canadians looked to be on the PP. Bolts in the tourney are looking very good with everyone but Sustr already getting on the score sheet I believe. Should be an interesting rest of the tourney. Even without the US, I will still be watching.

The thing that is gonna make this WCOH hard to watch in the commentators. Melrose and Levy are horrible. Then they go to the studio and you got Hull and Chelios. As much as I hate Melrose he is not a bad studio guy, but he is not good at play by play. I hung out with Hull some last year and he is a great guy but him and Chelly are horrendous. Good thing hockey will be good. May watch it on mute.

NBC was pissed when ESPN was awarded the TV rights, especially where NBC has been real good for the NHL and ESPN has all but given up on the NHL. NBC has been great with their production of hockey games.

Bruins in the tourney have also looked good, minus Chara.

The US being ousted is an embarrassment, but I'll still be watching, also. It's almost like watching the Stanley Cup playoffs.and the crowds have been sold out and loud.

What a disappointing showing by the U.S. First loss was bad, last night they were dominated by the Canadians for most of the game. There were times in the game when it was even strength that the Canadians looked to be on the PP. Bolts in the tourney are looking very good with everyone but Sustr already getting on the score sheet I believe. Should be an interesting rest of the tourney. Even without the US, I will still be watching.

Has that ever happened before where the US team has not won even one game in this tournament?

This is the first time that the US hasn't made the semis.

If you include the Canada Cups, the States didn't make it in 1987 either. But did make the semis in 81 and 84 (76 was round robin and finals only), and made the finals in 91.

If you include the Canada Cups, the States didn't make it in 1987 either. But did make the semis in 81 and 84 (76 was round robin and finals only), and made the finals in 91.

Know it all!

I was just going by what the ESPN commentator stated (Steve Levy?), I think he was basing his lack of knowledge based on the WCOH only.

Know it all!

I was just going by what the ESPN commentator stated (Steve Levy?), I think he was basing his lack of knowledge based on the WCOH only.

:)

I only included the Canada Cups to add to the sample size (still not big), especially since this is only the 3rd World Cup of Hockey.

Shocker.....Canada wins. Europe didn't play bad, and matter of factly dominated in parts of game 1. But they did not win and that's what matters. Of course they give the MVP to the douchebag Crosby. A much as I dislike him I think Marchand should have won that. The other good news for the Bolts is I don't think there were any injuries that came out this tourney. Now on to the NHL season!!!!!

Shocker.....Canada wins. Europe didn't play bad, and matter of factly dominated in parts of game 1. But they did not win and that's what matters. Of course they give the MVP to the douchebag Crosby. A much as I dislike him I think Marchand should have won that. The other good news for the Bolts is I don't think there were any injuries that came out this tourney. Now on to the NHL season!!!!!

Crosby was the best player for Canada IMO throughout the tourney. Price was next best. There were portions of games that the Getzlaf/Stamkos/Tavares line were thoroughly dominant but just couldn't score (eg. the Russia game). Interesting that they had Toews between those 2 in the pre-tournament games and then put him back there in the middle of the final game again.

I wish we could've seen Canada vs Team North America for at least 1 game - even if it was pre-tourney. I bet if the organizers had to do it again they would've scheduled them either in the same division or at least in the pre-tourney just b/c from the moment Team North America touched the ice they were who everyone wanted to see Canada play (at least here in Canada) even ahead of the U.S. which is the matchup everyone was salivating for eg. in June. when the rosters were filled out.

Crosby was the best player for Canada IMO throughout the tourney. Price was next best. There were portions of games that the Getzlaf/Stamkos/Tavares line were thoroughly dominant but just couldn't score (eg. the Russia game). Interesting that they had Toews between those 2 in the pre-tournament games and then put him back there in the middle of the final game again.

I wish we could've seen Canada vs Team North America for at least 1 game - even if it was pre-tourney. I bet if the organizers had to do it again they would've scheduled them either in the same division or at least in the pre-tourney just b/c from the moment Team North America touched the ice they were who everyone wanted to see Canada play (at least here in Canada) even ahead of the U.S. which is the matchup everyone was salivating for eg. in June. when the rosters were filled out.

Completely agree. Team NA was fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT