ADVERTISEMENT

Would you fight Mike Tyson in his prime for $1 million?

Lurker1999

Starter
Jul 6, 2018
Near Washington D.C.
Here's the deal:

You get 6 months to train with a professional boxing trainer. You can't take a dive. If you take a dive, you get nothing.

If Tyson knocks you out, you get $1 million cash.

If you knock Tyson down, you get $5 million cash.

If you knock Tyson out, you get $10 million cash.

Would you take the fight? Why or why not?

Reactions: 12Nole
I'd want much more $$$ if I knocked him down or out. Of course, there's a 0.0% of it happening, but in the event he stumbled after swinging on me, pay me!

I'd prob do it for a mil though. I assume one of his initial lighter punches would knock the wind out of me, so wouldn't even have to get to a real power punch.

Of course. You wouldn't have had a chance to take a dive, he would have knocked you out before you could. Easiest million anyone could make. The rest of your post is pointless.

I'd want much more $$$ if I knocked him down or out. Of course, there's a 0.0% of it happening, but in the event he stumbled after swinging on me, pay me!

I'd prob do it for a mil though. I assume one of his initial lighter punches would knock the wind out of me, so wouldn't even have to get to a real power punch.

Did you ever watch Tyson in his prime? He was a combination king.

He would hit you with three solid punches before you hit the ground...

No. I sparred years ago, even with gloves you can still get your bell rung. With a guy who has Tyson's prime power and ability to throw body shots you'd be lucky as a non- boxer to get out of the cage and only be pissing blood for a couple weeks within the first 60 seconds of round 1. Even with a year training. If you ever watch the guys they use to fill in a MMA card when legit fighters get injured, you'd know you wouldn't want to go up against Tyson.

No chance. Good chance I would get hurt badly, possibly killed or end up with brain damage.

Reactions: Lurker1999
To clarify, would this fight happen in the year in which he's in his prime? If so I'd be like 16yo, so that wouldn't be good.

And is it me as I am I? Or do I get to pick the year I was in my prime also, and the two of us meet each other at our best?

It might not make a difference in the outcome of the fight, but it might make a difference in the lingering effects of the fight. 20yr old me would be in a lot better shape and could take more advantage of the training, and I might be able to get damaged a little less and recover a little better.

To clarify, would this fight happen in the year in which he's in his prime? If so I'd be like 16yo, so that wouldn't be good.

And is it me as I am I? Or do I get to pick the year I was in my prime also, and the two of us meet each other at our best?

It might not make a difference in the outcome of the fight, but it might make a difference in the lingering effects of the fight. 20yr old me would be in a lot better shape and could take more advantage of the training, and I might be able to get damaged a little less and recover a little better.

It's 21 year old Mike Tyson vs Russ age as of today.

You would be in the best shape you could possibly be in now.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Why cardio?

You wouldn't have to run around the ring for more than a minute...
I wouldn't be running around - getting KO'd would be embarrassing enough. If I'm going to get knocked out, I might as well go out throwing punches to try and hit him. I tried boxing once before - it takes a lot out of you quick. I don't need to get gassed before he even bothers to hit me.

I will take the deal. I beat him years ago in Mike Tyson’s Punch Out so I could probably do it in real life too.

I will take the deal. I beat him years ago in Mike Tyson’s Punch Out so I could probably do it in real life too.

Completely off topic, but reminds me of a funny story. I was at Whistling Straits last month and one of my caddies told me about a guy he'd had earlier in the week who refused to listen to any of his advice. The golfer told him that he'd been playing the course on Tiger Woods golf every day for the last couple of months to get ready for the trip and he knew exactly what to do.

Completely off topic, but reminds me of a funny story. I was at Whistling Straits last month and one of my caddies told me about a guy he'd had earlier in the week who refused to listen to any of his advice. The golfer told him that he'd been playing the course on Tiger Woods golf every day for the last couple of months to get ready for the trip and he knew exactly what to do.

:Face with Tears of Joy
Show up, keep up, and shut up. I've shot the course record at this joint every day for the last two weeks.

Yeah, probably. There would probably be some risk involved, but not as much as you might think. It's very rare in boxing for permanent damage to be done from a single knockout event. Most of the serious brain damage or deaths occur over sustained beatings in competitive fights.

It's very hard to imagine taking more than a single punch, and certainly not more than a 2-3 punch combo before you were knocked out. The chance of ending up with debilitating damage from that is very small.

If you went ten rounds with a light puncher like Paulie Malignaggi it would be much more dangerous than getting knocked out by Tyson. But the reality is that for a non-boxer with six months of training, even the least powerful world class fighters would knock you out in the first round, the only question is how many punches you would take.

Yeah, probably. There would probably be some risk involved, but not as much as you might think. It's very rare in boxing for permanent damage to be done from a single knockout event. Most of the serious brain damage or deaths occur over sustained beatings in competitive fights.

It's very hard to imagine taking more than a single punch, and certainly not more than a 2-3 punch combo before you were knocked out. The chance of ending up with debilitating damage from that is very small.

If you went ten rounds with a light puncher like Paulie Malignaggi it would be much more dangerous than getting knocked out by Tyson. But the reality is that for a non-boxer with six months of training, even the least powerful world class fighters would knock you out in the first round, the only question is how many punches you would take.
To me - in my own mind at least - I'd be more scared of him taking me out by body blows and somehow messing up my organs. I'd much rather have Tyson hit me in the head and knock me out, than have him screw up my kidneys and/or liver.

I would as long as I can use Floyd Mayweather gloves to hide behind.

boxing%20ring%20in%20action(1).jpg

Pfftttt..for a million bucks? Screw the training, let's go..I'd take an ass whippin for less

Hell, make it interesting...you have to last longer than Michael Spinks did...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/4344-boxing-match-turns-fatal.html

There was a study on fatal boxing matches and it showed that they had over 2.5x the number of punches as an average match. So what you DON’T want is to get peppered with a bunch of light blows if you want to live.

But, what if it did?
But what if aliens blew the ring up during the fight?

Do you expect someone to say they would take the fight knowing they'd be put into a coma? I don't get what you are trying to say.

Would....right after raising questions about his ancestry.

I would even bite off part of his ear for a smooth 1/2 mill to boot.

Gotta go skrong!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/4344-boxing-match-turns-fatal.html

There was a study on fatal boxing matches and it showed that they had over 2.5x the number of punches as an average match. So what you DON’T want is to get peppered with a bunch of light blows if you want to live.

Absolutely. I believe what happens is a blow causes a hemotoma, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a hard blow. It could even be from a fender bender or your wife hitting you with a rolling pin a couple weeks before a fight. But if you then take a considerable amount of punches, even if they're not devastating, it can cause irreparable brain bleed.

Many of the fighters who have "killed" an opponent in the ring are very unintimidating punchers.

The important thing is to get to the center of the ring immediately and start winging punches. The only real opportunity for a devastating outcome is to get driven into the corner and held up on the ropes while you are already out and take 7-8 unprotected blows before the ref can get between you. You want it to end in the center of the ring.

I'd say the point of the six month training is to be credible enough throwing punches that his normal instinct kicks in and he just takes you out in the center of the ring. You don't want to be flailing or turtling up such that he just pushes you into the corner. You'd still probably be fine, but there is still some chance of getting held up even after you're out and taking a lot of blows.

What you want to avoid is what Ray Mercer did to Tommy Morrison (about 2:40 in):

Too old to fight so I would have to alter the deal that would force me to hook up with that jilted hot weather chick Yanet Garcia for a million dollars.

A million would be too much for me to pass on such a deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT