ADVERTISEMENT

Would you live in St. Louis?

EconSean

All-ACC
Apr 1, 2002
Washington University is recruiting my wife. I've emphatically said no, but they're relentless. Anyone ever lived there? I love living in Pittsburgh, so it would take a lot to get me to consider moving (including money). I work from home, so I can be anywhere. We considered Nashville for a while (Vanderbilt), but it wasn't a good enough deal.

I'm familiar with the bad stuff that is in the media lately, but are there strong "positives" in its favor?

St. Louis sucks. Don't even want to visit there. However, I am a very big Cubs fan and that has something to do with my hatred for that putrid city. Smells like Hogville.

From traveling throughout the country I've found that there are nice areas in every town.

I would imagine that St. Louis would be the same.

From traveling throughout the country I've found that there are nice areas in every town.

I would imagine that St. Louis would be the same.
There are very nice areas in St Louis. With that said, I wouldn't want to live there. I would pick Nashville in a landslide between those two

Washington University is recruiting my wife. I've emphatically said no, but they're relentless. Anyone ever lived there? I love living in Pittsburgh, so it would take a lot to get me to consider moving (including money). I work from home, so I can be anywhere. We considered Nashville for a while (Vanderbilt), but it wasn't a good enough deal.

I'm familiar with the bad stuff that is in the media lately, but are there strong "positives" in its favor?

Where in Pittsburgh do you live? My wife has lived in St Louis and Pittsburgh. She definitely prefers Pittsburgh.

I would. The city has grown on me. The main downtown area is pretty nice. I know there are some nice areas one of my classmates lives in one of them. I could ask her what all there is to do there. I honestly hadn't done too much exploring when I've been there. But I have been told there are a bunch of farmers markets and some hippy areas that are nice

Where in Pittsburgh do you live? My wife has lived in St Louis and Pittsburgh. She definitely prefers Pittsburgh.
We live in Jefferson Hills. We were in Squirrel Hill for several years, but wanted more yard. I really like the 'burgh.

There are some very nice neighborhoods in East St. Louis.

In all seriousness, St. Louis does not have much to offer. Lived there for a few years when I was young and there are some nice areas mostly on the west side of the city. Everyone lives outside of the city and apart from the stadium area downtown, the city itself sucks. Some parts of the city look deserted. The only time we ever went downtown was to go to the Cardinals or Rams game. Plus you have the typical crappy Midwestern winter, cold and gray. We moved to Nashville from STL and there is no comparison, Nashville is much better. I still go back occasionally to see friends and go to Cardinals games but would not move there again.

Thanks, all. I was okay with the notion of heading to Nashville, but I can't see making this move.

We live in Jefferson Hills. We were in Squirrel Hill for several years, but wanted more yard. I really like the 'burgh.

Jefferson Hills is close to us. We are in South Park. We used to live in Mt Lebo but also wanted more yard.

Jefferson Hills is close to us. We are in South Park. We used to live in Mt Lebo but also wanted more yard.
We spend a lot of time in the park (6-year old son pretty much demands it). Nice area, and some spectacular hills for sledding in the winter.

Have you got together with the local alumni club?

GVcHEU8.jpg

Visited for 4 days about 2 yrs ago. it was one of the few times where I've visited somewhere and thought "if I don't ever go back, I'm ok with that. "

We spend a lot of time in the park (6-year old son pretty much demands it). Nice area, and some spectacular hills for sledding in the winter.

Have you got together with the local alumni club?

We love the Park too. I haven't met the local club yet.

We love the Park too. I haven't met the local club yet.
I lived near Pittsburgh while getting my masters. Loved the city and would move back if not for the winters. Went to one Seminole Club meeting before the basketball game in 2014.

St. Louis is a great city. Always tons of things to do. Great food everywhere especially the Hill. A great sports town. It has it's bad areas but every major city does. The area around Washington Yniversity is pretty nice

So here are my $.02
I wouldn't take advice about living in a city from anyone who just visited there. I've been to lots of places as a visitor and there is no way to get a feel for anyplace through that method.

So I grew up in St. Louis but haven't lived there for quite a few years. Still have friends and family there. I have lived all over the country and have found things to like about every place. You also need to consider your wife's career. If this is her "dream job" and you are in her way you may pay a higher price for that decision than you bargained for.

Overall, St. Louis has what any big city has. Arts, sports, good restaurants, good schools, good airport, good infrastructure, good location. Would help to know about what "floats your boat" I guess. Otherwise, I would say be careful of stopping your wife if this is a good career move for her.

Reactions: booker20
Im sure there were some wtf's when I posted this, glad some were able to get it. I did this for the mspaint thread on here a few yrs ago, where we drew pics of posters' stories. This was my interpretation of little itch's story of his childhood, road trip, family vacation where he felt up his aunt in the car seat.

I was recruited by Centene for a leadership position with a new division they were starting. I asked if I could work from home and they said no. I told them hell no then. I wanted nothing to do with St. Louis. I have been there many times for work and for conferences. It was miserable. Downtown is deserted in lots of places.

Live out west. Relatively easy drive to Washington's campus.
Yes. If you are looking at he burbs Chesterfield is as nice as anywhere. Wash u is a great institution in a nice area as well (forest park/Clayton). Love the quality of life in STL. Great beer town too.

Reactions: booker20
My wife went to college in STL, and we have family that lives just West of the city (St. Charles), and they live in a very nice area. Lots of kids activities there. If you are in to concerts, they get all the major bands. If you like sports, it has NFL (currently), MLB, NHL. Washington U is very prestigious... and being on the faculty there is an amazing thing!

They are famous for their toasted ravioli's and murder rates.

I wouldn't move their for 500k signing bonus.

For the opportunity your wife has been presented, yes, I'd move there. I certainly would not move to St. Louis otherwise.

I've been a Steelers fan since I was little so it was a bucket list item when I moved to Pittsburgh, but a year later I moved out and was damn glad to. Even though the Stillers went 15-1 the fall I was there, I was still miserable. I just didn't fit in.

If it's a good gig and you don't go, she may resent you for holding her back. For the next 50 years every time her career comes up you may hear "Well, I had an opportunity of a lifetime at Washington University but Sean was scared to move..."

I have been there once, and didn't like it at all. I am from Florida, and we went to STL during the summer. It was the hottest place I have ever been (granted I was intoxicated the entire week I was there but that is beside the point). Yeah if the money doesn't seem worth it, I don't really see the point in moving there was not impressed AT ALL.

I lived in the "west county" area for 10 years from the late 80's to late 90's. Chesterfield is a very nice area of town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT