ADVERTISEMENT

“Yes ma’am, we do sell cars, but we are gonna have to charge you a higher

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
commission since our expenses will be increased for your transaction. We normally bring them in thru our bay door, but since you drove thru the side of the building, this will require a bit more work on our part to consummate the sale.”
Jeez, poor lady mashed the wrong thing and drove her Lexus deep into the side of our building today, taking out a couple of floor to ceiling windows and in the process trashed some $15K or so of consigned art, furniture, porcelain, etc... that was set up for preview at our upcoming sale. We have a high deductible and will have to negotiate with the consignors as to what the payout will be for destroyed items.
Thankfully, nobody was hurt and we were able to build a temporary wall this afternoon in 15 degree temps to keep out the weather and burglars. One of the firemen who showed up said it happens daily somewhere and in fact someone did the same thing in the next county over on Tuesday, pinning a doctor and patient inside of an examination room until the po po pulled them to safety.
Never a dull day...

Should there be a link here?
Naw, we did not publicize anything. We have a lot of stuff in the building on consignment and did not want the press to let people know the building is compromised. Thankfully we just lost one motion detector from the alarm, but were able to set the system without that zone.

Last edited:
Sucks, and I know it is disruptive. But with reasonable insurance you should be made reasonably close to whole. Good luck to you.

Sucks, and I know it is disruptive. But with reasonable insurance you should be made reasonably close to whole. Good luck to you.
Crazy thing is, in that same area, we had over $500 K worth of maps displayed in mid November. That would have been a total !?~~!!?

My folks had that happen to their house. Neighbor up the hill drove her car down the driveway to get the paper one am when it was raining. Leaned out to pick it up....and fell out. Car went over her foot, across the street, over a curb, then down the hill and thru my folks living room. They were in Hawaii so I get a call from the alarm company. Figured it was a false alarm as they had had several and went back to sleep. Then I get a call from the neighbor...
I drove up and found a Lexus suv in the living room, cops, fire department, local security. Zoo. Had to wake up my folks who were couple hours early in Hawaii and try to explain what was going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My folks had that happen to their house. Neighbor up the hill drove her car down the driveway to get the paper one am when it was raining. Leaned out to pick it up....and fell out. Car went over her foot, across the street, over a curb, then down the hill and thru my folks living room. They were in Hawaii so I get a call from the alarm company. Figured it was a false alarm as they had had several and went back to sleep. Then I get a call from the neighbor...
I drove up and found a Lexus suv in the living room, cops, fire department, local security. Zoo. Had to wake up my folks who were couple hours early in Hawaii and try to explain wft was going on.
That blows!

Bill, shouldn't the driver's insurance have to pick up the tab for all the damage?
Yep, and the lady who messed up is a very professional personal friend who will do her best to make things right.
So, the repairs to the building are gonna be pretty straight forward. Several 5’ wide double pane glass panels and the aluminum frame, a 12’ stretch of sheet rock and a stretch of commercial carpet. Not a huge expense.
The challenge is managing expectations those who had items up for auction. If we suggest your painting might sell for $2,000 to $4,000, many people only hear the higher number. Sometimes things go for below estimate, sometimes within range, and sometimes for above range. On a given day, who knows what happens.
Our insurance policy would pay mid range of the estimate, or $3K in this example. What the other insurance crowd wants to do is unknown.
Whether the consignors of the property accept that number is also unknown. Common practice in our field if there is a disagreement is to get three independent appraisals and to then pay out the mid range number, although in 34 years we have never had to go that route. We are very careful handling things we don’t own...
All things considered, we are very lucky. Minimal property damage, no bodily injury, and good procedures in place. Besides that, this is the weekend!!

Man just another example of why women shouldn't be driving and spend their time focusing on cooking and cleaning. You don't hear about these horrible things happening in the ME. ;)

As suggested in the title, what kind of cars do you sell?
Mostly estate cars from time to time, once a confiscated street racer for a sheriff’s office. We once had a Ford version Jag that sold for over the retail price, a sweet little Karmann Ghia, a Rolls from time to time, etc... It is not a big part of what we do.
Of possible interest to some on this board however, we picked up two from the horse country near Middleburg, Va. recently that will be in our May sale. One is a ‘30s Chrysler coupe in need of an overhaul, but the other is a sweet 1964(?) ‘vette with something like 12,000 miles on it. The lady bought it new and drove it around the farm and sometimes to “town”. Nice. Once we get it cataloged and ready to go, I will post a link, but it will be in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: F4Gary and DFSNOLE
Mostly estate cars from time to time, once a confiscated street racer for a sheriff’s office. We once had a Ford version Jag that sold for over the retail price, a sweet little Karmann Ghia, a Rolls from time to time, etc... It is not a big part of what we do.
Of possible interest to some on this board however, we picked up two from the horse country near Middleburg, Va. recently that will be in our May sale. One is a ‘30s Chrysler coupe in need of an overhaul, but the other is a sweet 1964(?) ‘vette with something like 12,000 miles on it. The lady bought it new and drove it around the farm and sometimes to “town”. Nice. Once we get it cataloged and ready to go, I will post a link, but it will be in May.

Karmann Ghia, now there is a car I had almost forgotten about.

Karmann Ghia, now there is a car I had almost forgotten about.
Fun little ride. One of our neighbors had one as a kid. He showed me what “speed shifting” was all about. When he tried it in my 3 on the tree Ford pickup, it hung him up. Not syncronized...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT