ADVERTISEMENT

12-year-old Florida girl charged after allegedly pinching boy's butt in school

alaskanseminole

Seminole Insider
Oct 20, 2002
LINK: 12-year-old Florida girl charged after allegedly pinching boy's butt in school

A 12-year-old girl was arrested and booked into juvenile detention after she allegedly pinched a boy’s butt in school during what she described as a popular game at her Florida school.

The girl is facing misdemeanor battery charges after the incident at Milwee Middle School, which is outside Orlando, and was reportedly read her Miranda Rights, put in the back of a patrol car and later charged.

“Lord, lord, lordy. . . what has this world come to?” asked the girl’s father, whose first name is Ray. “Kids can’t even be kids, and that’s basically what it is. She’s 12 years old, she was acting like a 12-year-old child.” Fox News typically neither names minors charged with crimes, nor reveals the last names of their parents, to fully protect the identities.

The boy’s mother apparently disagrees, ClickOrlando.com reported. The boy reportedly told the school’s resource deputy that he did not want to press any charges. The accused, who said she didn’t know the boy, was suspended. The boy’s mother, however, asked that the girl be prosecuted for battery.

“I regret it,” the girl reportedly said in an interview. “I didn’t know it’ll lead to this.”

Authorities said the pinching incident occurred in March. KABC reported that the state attorney said the charge will be dismissed once the girl completes a diversion program that includes community service and a drug test.

The girl's father offered some parenting advice to the boy’s mother.

“I’m sorry my kid touched your kid. But I’m sorry because you need some help, I think -- too overprotective -- let your kid be your kid. He might get some friends, and that’s all I have to say.”

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I have kids that age and I've talked to them repeatedly about keeping your hands to yourself and your words tame. How you might think something's no big deal but you never know what kid or parent is going to blow something out of proportion.

It's strange to think we've gotten to this point. In my schools growing up we had enough fights and drugs that the staff didn't have time for little things like this.

I have kids that age and I've talked to them repeatedly about keeping your hands to yourself and your words tame. How you might think something's no big deal but you never know what kid or parent is going to blow something out of proportion.

It's strange to think we've gotten to this point. In my schools growing up we had enough fights and drugs that the staff didn't have time for little things like this.

When I was a kid and a girl bit, pinched or pulled my hair on the playground it was a sure sign she liked me. Who knew I should have been charging her with assault.

'Murca...

im-offended-by-this-potato-meme-1434571729.jpg

The law enforcement involvement in this is totally absurd. There should be no criminal charges, arrest, etc.

HOWEVER...12 years old is way too old for this. At 7 or 8, this might be pretty meaningless, but at 12, kids best be keeping their hands off each other. My son is 12, and in middle school, and some of those eighth graders damn well could pass as college freshmen. You definitely don't need kids in middle school grabbing each others butts, boobs, etc like it's no big deal. It's totally inappropriate. Would you want a 14 year old, 6 foot boy grabbing the butt of your 11 year old daughter during school? Not an acceptable environment.

Way out of line. A warning is appropriate, and a detention/suspension is totally reasonable if it's an ongoing issue.

But police involvement? Totally ridiculous and a major failure all around. I don't know if it's a failure of the school to deal with the matter, or a crazy parent that went straight over the top because they're batty.

World has gone mad. I hope she did not use the imaginary "finger pistol" at any time during this, um, er, "controversy." If you are looking for common sense, you'll have a hard time finding it in our public school system. Layers and layers of dysfunctional bureaucrats who seem to enjoy coming up with nonsensical policies. All while complaining about being underpaid, etc.

Reactions: NY_22_Nole
I think the issue is the overreaction...police, arrest, charges, battery, Juvenal court, etc. What a waste of taxpayers $$ and the time of others with MUCH more important things. Bring the kids in, discuss the situation (what's appropriate what's not), then send them on their way. If it happens again, suspend the kid.

BATTERY!? Seriously?

I think the issue is the overreaction...police, arrest, charges, battery, Juvenal court, etc. What a waste of taxpayers $$ and the time of others with MUCH more important things. Bring the kids in, discuss the situation (what's appropriate what's not), then send them on their way. If it happens again, suspend the kid.

BATTERY!? Seriously?

Spot on, Brother. But it's "low hanging fruit" for everyone involved, which is easier than dealing with the many "real issues" out there. Plus, some of the participants can bang some politically correct drums, which appeases many. Absurd beyond description, but this is how we roll in 2016.

My most recent butt pinching story-
When my son was in 7th grade a girl accused him of pinching her butt. She made a huge deal about it. The school admin. was involved and the girl/parents made comments about pressing charges. My son vehemently denied doing it to the point of nearly crying. After talking to a few teacher friends at the school, I was informed he was the 3rd boy accused of this by the same girl, all within a couple weeks. For the 3 accused, this was not typical behavior so it started raising some questions. All 3 boys denied doing anything to the girl. It so happened one of the boys' uncle was an attorney and he began the process of defending the kid in any legal action. The girl ended up admitting she was accusing them for attention. The 1 boy's parents pursued punishment against the girl. I never did hear what the outcome was.

As far as the original story- absolutely ridiculous to have police involved unless there were multiple incidents in which the school wasn't doing anything about it. At that point, there isn't much one can do except maybe a little schoolyard justice...From the details provided, I'll go with a waste of time for the police and ridiculous charge on a12 yr. old.

Last edited:
My most recent butt pinching story-
When my son was in 7th grade a girl accused him of pinching her butt. She made a huge deal about it. The school admin. was involved and the girl/parents made comments about pressing charges. My son vehemently denied doing it to the point of nearly crying. After talking to a few teacher friends at the school, I was informed he was the 3rd boy accused of this by the same girl, all within a couple weeks. For the 3 accused, this was not typical behavior so it started raising some questions. All 3 boys denied doing anything to the girl. It so happened one of the boys' uncle was an attorney and he began the process of defending the kid in any legal action. The girl ended up admitting she was accusing them for attention. The 1 boy's parents pursued punishment against the girl. I never did hear what the outcome was.

As far as the original story- absolutely ridiculous to have police involved unless there were multiple incidents in which the school wasn't doing anything about it. At that point, there isn't much one can do except maybe a little schoolyard justice...From the details provided, I'll go with a waste of time for the police and ridiculous charge on a12 yr. old.
Was the girl's name "Erica" by chance?

World has gone mad. I hope she did not use the imaginary "finger pistol" at any time during this, um, er, "controversy." If you are looking for common sense, you'll have a hard time finding it in our public school system. Layers and layers of dysfunctional bureaucrats who seem to enjoy coming up with nonsensical policies. All while complaining about being underpaid, etc.

I am not sure why you are blaming the school system in this instance. The boy's mother was the one who way over reacted by insisting that charges be brought, even though her son did not want to press charges. Please tell me what the school system did wrong.

I am not sure why you are blaming the school system in this instance. The boy's mother was the one who way over reacted by insisting that charges be brought, even though her son did not want to press charges. Please tell me what the school system did wrong.

"The accused was suspended." But-for the school "dignifying" this ridiculous incident with a suspension, I suspect it stops right there. I will venture to guess that you know nothing about Milwee....one of the worst public schools around.

As someone who's spent my entire career in law enforcement (20 plus years), I must say that the SRO at that school needs to grow a pair. LEO's have lots of discretion as to making arrests. I would have told the mother I will write a report documenting the incident, but I'm not arresting the kid. If she was that adamant she could go straight to the State Attorney's Office and see if they would pursue. Could I have gotten in trouble with my boss? Maybe. I've always been of the belief that people need to do what is right, and to me this is just a LEO that is afraid to stand up for what is right and reasonable. Now because of that ridiculous decision, it's putting an undue and unnecessary burden on an already overburdened criminal justice system. Wasting taxpayer dollars.

But, I guess I'm just old school.

"The accused was suspended." But-for the school "dignifying" this ridiculous incident with a suspension, I suspect it stops right there. I will venture to guess that you know nothing about Milwee....one of the worst public schools around.

You are right, I know nothing about Milwee. While it may be one of the worst schools around, you were condemning the entire public school system. While it does appear to be a overreaction by everyone involved, I think it is unfair to single out the school. Also, there may be some details missing from the story that would have made the suspension/arrest more reasonable.

As someone who's spent my entire career in law enforcement (20 plus years), I must say that the SRO at that school needs to grow a pair. LEO's have lots of discretion as to making arrests. I would have told the mother I will write a report documenting the incident, but I'm not arresting the kid. If she was that adamant she could go straight to the State Attorney's Office and see if they would pursue. Could I have gotten in trouble with my boss? Maybe. I've always been of the belief that people need to do what is right, and to me this is just a LEO that is afraid to stand up for what is right and reasonable. Now because of that ridiculous decision, it's putting an undue and unnecessary burden on an already overburdened criminal justice system. Wasting taxpayer dollars.

Common sense. In short supply sometimes, it seems.

Reactions: Scalphunter

According to the KABC story (which is linked in the middle of the original thread), the SRO did not make an arrest at the time the incident occurred because the boy did not want to press charges. The girl was then suspended from school. It was the week after the incident that the mother got involved and called "deputies" and said she wanted the girl to be charged. So, we really don't know who actually made the arrest, but I am not sure that it really matters.

According to the KABC story (which is linked in the middle of the original thread), the SRO did not make an arrest at the time the incident occurred because the boy did not want to press charges. The girl was then suspended from school. It was the week after the incident that the mother got involved and called "deputies" and said she wanted the girl to be charged. So, we really don't know who actually made the arrest, but I am not sure that it really matters.

That's why this is so crazy. Milwee is the kind of school where some serious stuff goes down. On a scale of 1-to-100, this "incident" is easily in the single digits. Maybe lower than "5." Yet the school suspends the "pincher," setting the other dominoes in motion. Tax money being well spent, as usual.

That's why this is so crazy. Milwee is the kind of school where some serious stuff goes down. On a scale of 1-to-100, this "incident" is easily in the single digits. Maybe lower than "5." Yet the school suspends the "pincher," setting the other dominoes in motion. Tax money being well spent, as usual.

According to the KABC story, the girl (she is identified in the story as Breanna) would pinch students on the butt and laugh at their reaction. She did not know the boy in this incident. What we don't know is if she had previous disciplinary issues or not. What she did was inappropriate, and I think you can argue that a suspension was warranted. It definitely did not warrant her being arrested, which I blame on the boy's mother.

If you were the school administrator, what kind of discipline would you think is appropriate in this case? Also, would you feel any different if it was a boy pinching a girl on the butt?

According to the KABC story, the girl (she is identified in the story as Breanna) would pinch students on the butt and laugh at their reaction. She did not know the boy in this incident. What we don't know is if she had previous disciplinary issues or not. What she did was inappropriate, and I think you can argue that a suspension was warranted. It definitely did not warrant her being arrested, which I blame on the boy's mother.

If you were the school administrator, what kind of discipline would you think is appropriate in this case? Also, would you feel any different if it was a boy pinching a girl on the butt?

Nothing a stern lecture could not fix. Totally ridiculous. Silly/childish behavior like this has gone on for centuries.

Ridiculous. Society has gone in this direction (over-reaction, everyone offended at the drop of a hat...) for a while and I really cannot say I am surprised.

I do think there might be a slight double standard here as a boy pinching a girl's butt might be considered a little more offensive to a lot of people.

You're splitting hairs. A Cop made an arrest. SRO or another Deputy later on. That LEO is either a complete idiot or a coward. At least that's my opinion as a veteran LEO.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Guaradamntee you if the roles had been reversed, the girl's dad would have been all over this looking for revenge...errr, "justice".

A suspension is definitely warranted if this is more than a one time incident. If it happens one time, a warning to stop doing it is probably sufficient. After that, if she doesn't stop, a suspension is definitely in order. I can't believe anyone with kids in middle school would want kids touching each other unwanted this way. So what are you going to do, set down gender/body part rules? It's ok for a girl to pinch a boy's butt...but not ok for a boy to grab a girl's boob...It's ok for a girl to grab a girl's boob, but only if they are hot...A boy can pinch a 6th grader's but, but not an 8th grader...but only if they are in 7th grade...

This behavior should be definitely dealt with, but there's no reason law enforcement should be involved.

That being said, if the genders were reversed, and the school was refusing to deal with it...I would consider my options. I can't believe it would come to that though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT