ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Music Festivals and Concert Series

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
So Universal just released most (still two TBA) of their Mardi Gras concert series so I thought I’d post it here. And then see if anyone else has some great upcoming music festivals or concert series to let us know about.

So the Universal Mardi Gras Lineup is currently

Feb. 10: The Beach Boys

Feb. 17: Kelsea Ballerini

Feb. 18: Andy Grammer

Feb. 24: Macklemore

March 3: 311

March 4: Phillip Phillips

March 10: TBA

March 11: Fitz and the Tantrums

March 17: Foreigner

March 18: Fifth Harmony

March 24: TBA

March 25: Bush

I’m definitely going to the Beach Boys, Macklemore, 311 and Bush this year. I did Foreigner last year and they actually put on a great show which you never know with the geezer bands, sometimes they’re great (America, Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Huey Lewis) and are radio perfect, sometimes they’re just decent (Heart, Lynyrd Skynyrd) and sometimes they are terrible (Three Dog Night, Aretha Franklin, Paul McCartney). But Foreigner did a great job last year. I might also show up for Fitz and the Tantrums, it depends on who the TBA materializes into.

The Strawberry Festival in Plant City actually has a handful of decent acts even for us non-country fans. In particular I like that DNCA and the I Love the 90s Tour is showing up, but it stinks they’re on Thursday for those of us too far away to get back to work on Friday.

• Thursday, March 1
  • 10:30 a.m. Jimmy Sturr & His Orchestra
  • 3:30 p.m. Oak Ridge Boys
  • 7:30 p.m. DNCE
  • Friday, March 2
  • 3:30 p.m. Jerry Lee Lewis
  • 7:30 p.m. Justin Moore and Dylan Scott
  • Saturday, March 3
  • 3:30 p.m. Cam
  • 7:30 p.m. The Band Perry
  • Sunday, March 4
  • 3:30 p.m. Lee Greenwood
  • 7:30 p.m. Reba McEntire
  • Monday, March 5
  • 3:30 p.m. Jimmy Fortune
  • 7:30 p.m. Josh Turner
  • Tuesday, March 6
  • 3:30 p.m. Gaither Vocal Band
  • 7:30 p.m. Casting Crowns
  • Wednesday, March 7
  • 3:30 p.m. Engelbert Humperdinck
  • 7:30 p.m. Trace Adkins
  • Thursday, March 8
  • 10:30 a.m. The Lettermen
  • 3:30 p.m. Drifters, Platters and Cornell Gunter's Coasters
  • 7:30 p.m. I Love the 90s Tour featuring Vanilla Ice, Tone Loc and Salt-N-Pepa
  • Friday, March 9
  • 3:30 p.m. Charley Pride
  • 7:30 p.m. Earth, Wind & Fire
  • Saturday, March 10
  • 3:30 p.m. Sawyer Brown
  • 7:30 p.m. Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds and Anthony Hamilton
  • Sunday, March 11
  • 3:30 p.m. Chase Bryant
  • 7:30 p.m. Brad Paisley

So far other than Rockville in Jacksonville which has a GREAT lineup (Foo Fighters, Billy Idol, Ozzy Osbourne, Queens of the Stone Age, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Stone Temple Pilots, Godsmack, The Used, Bullet for My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Sevendust, Five Finger Death Punch,Hollywood Undead, Andrew W.K. etc..) I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with the music festivals.

The Hangout over in Gulfshores has a couple of nice headliners in the Chainsmokers, Killers, Kendrick Lamar, Foster the People, Awolnation, Portugal the Man and a few others but that’s spread over three days and not a lot of medium quality bands.

Bonnaroo is also pretty boring this year once you get past some really good headliners (Muse who I definitely want to see but will probably go somewhere else on their tour, Eminem, the Killers, Alt J, Sheryl Crow, Old Crow Medicine Show, T-Pain, Bon Iver, and Future). So far no truly great lineups worth the trouble of camping out.

I do like the Shaky Knees lineup in Atlanta a fair amount with the headliners being Queens of the Stone Age, Jack White, Tenacious D, The National and Cake and they’ve got some decent mid level bands like Jimmy Eat World, Fleet Foxes, Japandroids etc... But I’m already seeing Queens of the Stone Age in Jax, so we’ll see. It depends on where else Cake is going for me.

Last edited:
The kid and I went to see Macklemore last month and it was a lot of fun.

I’m not a big rap fan, but I’ve seen him enough on tv appearances to think he’ll do a great live show. I like rap about the same level as modern country ie I’ll see the big acts or a handful I’ve learned to like by accident. But Macklemore is one I’ve accidentally learned to like.

Avoid chicks like this at all costs, or you may get arrested for harassment:

Tell me about it. The last time I went to Bonnaroo the “paint your boobs” tent was doing gangbusters so everywhere you looked there were 14-18 yo girls with their boobs hanging out. I’m thinking they need to ban underage girls from music festivals so that we old geezers don’t become accidental perverts. My inner old British Chap (not a euphemism for penis, although that WOULD be a good one) came out and I kept thinking “Dearest little girls, would you ever so mind putting those things away, some of us are trying to enjoy the music without being accused of sexual misconduct. Harrumph!”

Last edited by a moderator:

The American-born woman was seen walking through a field with her chest covered in glitter at the Rhythm and Vines festival in Gisbourne, on the east coast of the North Island, when the man ran up behind her.

He grabbed her breast before running off and taking a seat on the grass. She retaliated by hitting him across the head and back as her friend poured a drink over him.

“There’s been a tonne of controversy over my actions as well as what I was wearing that day,” she said the in the six-minute video.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/0e8d8d2f0ae455c235ed0127ec9a9575

I did Foreigner last year and they actually put on a great show which you never know with the geezer bands, sometimes they’re great (America, Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Huey Lewis) and are radio perfect, sometimes they’re just decent (Heart, Lynyrd Skynyrd) and sometimes they are terrible (Three Dog Night, Aretha Franklin, Paul McCartney). But Foreigner did a great job last year. .
Last time I saw Foreigner, I couldn't figure out why Grandpa Munster was playing guitar.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Last time I saw Foreigner, I couldn't figure out why Grandpa Munster was playing guitar.
Did you see his grandson?

Billy+and+Eddie+Munster.jpg

Reggae Rise Up is now 3 days at Vinoy Park in St. Pete. This has grown quite a bit over the last few years.

March 16th (Friday): Rebelution, Tribal Seeds
March 17th (Saturday): Damian Marley, Matisyahu
March 18th (Sunday): Soja, Nahko & Medicine for the People, Collie Budz, The Expendables

Many more, but those are the bigger names

BTW, Fitz and the Tantroms are playing a free show at Curtis Hixon Friday, Jan 26th as part of the NHL All-Star weekend. Tampa is pretty good at getting some named bands/groups for free during these big sporting events.

Reggae Rise Up is now 3 days at Vinoy Park in St. Pete. This has grown quite a bit over the last few years.

March 16th (Friday): Rebelution, Tribal Seeds
March 17th (Saturday): Damian Marley, Matisyahu
March 18th (Sunday): Soja, Nahko & Medicine for the People, Collie Budz, The Expendables

Many more, but those are the bigger names

BTW, Fitz and the Tantroms are playing a free show at Curtis Hixon Friday, Jan 26th as part of the NHL All-Star weekend. Tampa is pretty good at getting some named bands/groups for free during these big sporting events.
Nice. I live in Skypoint so will be watching Fitz and the Tantrums from the balcony.

The full lineup hasn’t been released to my knowledge, but the headliners at 98 Rockfest in Tampa on April 20th looks pretty good.
  • Shinedown.
  • Three Days Grace.
  • Seether.
  • Starset.
  • Fozzy.
  • 10 Years
Starset is a band I somehow had never heard of until I caught them early in the day at Rockville last year. Now I’m a huge fan, they’re like a more talented Linkin Park minus the mediocre rapper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT