2020-21 ACC Swimming Championships

Bo_Knoles

Starter
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I came here to post a detailed update on how the team has done, but given conversations about cutting swimming, I'm not sure it's worth my effort. From a high level"

- the Women finished 7th in the ACC and CollegeSwimming currently has them ranked 17th overall
- the Men are currently 5th in conference with more events to swim, and CollegeSwimming has them ranked 15th overall

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Is there serious talk about dumping the S&D program?

It is a little discouraging to read something like "so and so set an FSU record in the ______. They finished 7th in the A finals. Our ____ relay team set an FSU record and finished 5th.
Now assuming we keep the program, please comment on the current status of our program and your expectations going forward.

Last edited:

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I enjoy swimming and diving and appreciate the updates.

giphy.gif

Bo_Knoles

Starter
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Is there serious talk about dumping the S&D program?

It is a little discouraging to read something like "so and so set an FSU record in the ______. They finished 7th in the A finals. Our ____ relay team set an FSU record and finished 5th.
Now assuming we keep the program, please comment on the current status of our program and your expectations going forward.

Hey Tom,

The program appears to be making huge strides. Being ranked by college swimming at 15 is miles for where we were just a few years ago. I was real pleased with our recruiting prior to last year, but I must admit that I didn't follow it that closely last year and I haven't gotten much information this year either. Typically, I can find some information that breaks down our performances by class, I'll see if I can find that, plus a summary on the 2021 class.

Reactions: fsufool

Bo_Knoles

Starter
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Tom,

Another note...It's interesting to look at the team over the last few years. As recently as last year we had some real top of the conference swimmers that allowed us to score a good bit of points in the conference championships, but we had very little depth, which prevented us from finishing higher. This year appears to have flipped that recipe, as most of our points appeared to come from depth. I could be wrong about that, but from watching, my recollection was that I saw quite a few B and C finalists that we hadn't had in recent years. Hopefully, they develop into A and B finalists.

S.E.M.I.Nole

Freshman
Sep 19, 2010
On paper, we only lose 37 points from seniors at ACC championships.
Which all were from diving.
Not sure if the diver can come back due to Covid red shirt year.
And, Freshman contributed 149 points from swimming and 73 from diving out of 495 total individual points.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Tom,

Another note...It's interesting to look at the team over the last few years. As recently as last year we had some real top of the conference swimmers that allowed us to score a good bit of points in the conference championships, but we had very little depth, which prevented us from finishing higher. This year appears to have flipped that recipe, as most of our points appeared to come from depth. I could be wrong about that, but from watching, my recollection was that I saw quite a few B and C finalists that we hadn't had in recent years. Hopefully, they develop into A and B finalists.

Bo, you are right. We had a very productive upper classmen class that graduated over the last couple years. This year we only had 4-5 upperclassmen at ACCs. But we did have a very productive freshman and sophomore class. I had some issues following the team because there seemed to be inconsistencies in who was on the team this year with opt outs. Coach Sludd's did mention that we had several internationals and opt outs that weren't here this year for various reasons and it seemed several elite swimmers on the women's side were missing. Covid largely, but training in your home country for the Olympics is another reason.

I second the opinion that Coach Studd's has turned the program around dramatically. We finished 12th on the men's side at NCAAs last time there was a competition. I don't think we finish as high this year because we are really young. Women's team needs those elite international swimmers back to be able to score some points.

One major plus for me, is that the majority of the swimmers seem to get personal best times once they are at FSU. That wasn't happening just a few years ago.

We compete in the toughest conference for swimming, the ACC. I have been comparing times between conferences and the ACC has surpassed the SEC recently and this year is deeper than the PAC12 for the first time ever. Next year, post Olympics and COVID I think the PAC12 might regain its status as the best swimming conference, but this year it was the ACC (men's side).

After seeing all the talk from some on here about dropping sports, I did e-mail FSU athletics and got back that they have no plans to drop sports at that time.

I don't think they can drop any women's sports because of Title 9, and doubt the savings from dropping men's swimming or tennis or golf or track and field is worth the bad publicity. Only track and field costs more than $500K, and with over a $100MM in athletic revenue, that would be a dumb move. The swimming complex was built with money from a large sponsor and then to turn around and drop the sport would only leave a bad taste in their mouths. Makes more sense to have a major outreach for each sport's coaches club fund raising.

Reactions: squiffynole

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
On paper, we only lose 37 points from seniors at ACC championships.
Which all were from diving.
Not sure if the diver can come back due to Covid red shirt year.
And, Freshman contributed 149 points from swimming and 73 from diving out of 495 total individual points.

I forgot about diving. It appeared that we got hit with Covid tracing on the diving team. We had no women diver's at ACCs and were missing a couple men. Had we had our normal contingent of divers and they dove as they had all season both men and women would have had many more points which should have pushed us up a couple of places in the women and 1 place on the men's side. Just a tough year all around to evaluate the team.

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
I came here to post a detailed update on how the team has done, but given conversations about cutting swimming, I'm not sure it's worth my effort. From a high level"

- the Women finished 7th in the ACC and CollegeSwimming currently has them ranked 17th overall
- the Men are currently 5th in conference with more events to swim, and CollegeSwimming has them ranked 15th overall

If FSU indeed has a $20MM to $50MM operating deficit in '20-'21 athletics, some VERY HARD decisions will need to be made. Cutting swimming & diving doesn't really move the needle, so the bigger question in my mind is "what else might be axed?"

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
NCAA update. FSU has 8 men swimmers qualify in individual events. 3 freshman, 3 sophomores and 2 juniors. 1 diver, a senior qualified.

Again, this is a very young team. None of the qualifiers are in scoring position entering the swimming meet. A few are close, so with good swims could score. Several relays should score points.

For comparison, UF has 12 swimmers going with only 1 freshman qualifying and half their swimmers being upperclassmen. However they have 4-5 swimmers in scoring positions with 3 seeded #1 in an event.

As I thought FSU will not repeat that #12 result this year. But, the future is bright.

Last edited:

Bo_Knoles

Starter
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Thanks for the details...I hadn't had time to dig in like I usually do. You saved me the trouble.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
fsufool, boy were you right on the ACC swimming in the women. UVA 1st and NCSt 2nd.
That's pretty tough comp.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
fsufool, boy were you right on the ACC swimming in the women. UVA 1st and NCSt 2nd.
That's pretty tough comp.

I was surprised with the 1-2 finish, don't think that has been done much, if ever, by any conference. But, looking at the times at conference I knew the ACC would do well.

Men are going to be different, but still think the ACC has more depth.

FSU men got DQ'd in the 800 Free Relay. They wouldn't have scored anyway, but had a better time than at ACCs.

Last edited:

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
I was surprised with the 1-2 finish, don't think that has been done much, if ever, by any conference. But, looking at the times at conference I knew the ACC would do well.

Men are going to be different, but still think the ACC has more depth.

FSU men got DQ'd in the 800 Free Relay. They wouldn't have scored anyway, but had a better time than at ACCs.

Peter Varjasi dropped time in the 50 to get in the "B" final. Nice swim.
Have an opportunity to score points in the 200 free relay; we are seeded 15th
Have our senior diver in the 1 M dive too.

Observation of morning prelims. Lots of slower swims for swimmers here. Don't know why???? Even many of the top swimmers seemed to have been off a little this morning. Best swim of the day for FSU was Varjasi.
Also noted a former FSU swimmer now swimming for Utah. He is in the "B" final along with Varjasi. I was wondering what happened to him. From Tahoe area of California, so maybe just wanted to be closer to home?

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Peter Varjasi dropped time in the 50 to get in the "B" final. Nice swim.
Have an opportunity to score points in the 200 free relay; we are seeded 15th
Have our senior diver in the 1 M dive too.

Observation of morning prelims. Lots of slower swims for swimmers here. Don't know why???? Even many of the top swimmers seemed to have been off a little this morning. Best swim of the day for FSU was Varjasi.
Also noted a former FSU swimmer now swimming for Utah. He is in the "B" final along with Varjasi. I was wondering what happened to him. From Tahoe area of California, so maybe just wanted to be closer to home?

For swimming fans looking forward to the Olympic Trials, here is an interesting race from St. Petersburg, FL yesterday .

Dressel versus 36 year old Lochte

03:24:2021 Caleb Dressel Ryan lLochte 200IM ISCA Senior Cup - YouTube

Lochte breaks 2 minutes. For those that don't know Dressel is the top male swimmer in the world and might have a chance at 7-8 gold medals at the Olympics. Dressel holds the short course American record in the 200 IM despite being a true sprinter. Lochte is trying to become the oldest male to make a USA Olympic Swim Team since 1904.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
For swimming fans looking forward to the Olympic Trials, here is an interesting race from St. Petersburg, FL yesterday .

Dressel versus 36 year old Lochte

03:24:2021 Caleb Dressel Ryan lLochte 200IM ISCA Senior Cup - YouTube

Lochte breaks 2 minutes. For those that don't know Dressel is the top male swimmer in the world and might have a chance at 7-8 gold medals at the Olympics. Dressel holds the short course American record in the 200 IM despite being a true sprinter. Lochte is trying to become the oldest male to make a USA Olympic Swim Team since 1904.

Started a new thread for NCAAs

Latest posts