2020/21 Women's Soccer

Sawyer55

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
looking at 10 bodies for Louisville defense in box. Totally packing it.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Were Newton and Bogren even present for the ND game? When will Payne be back?
Payne was not. Bogren was. Mark does not sub along the back line. I hope he has convinced Bogren to stick around b/c we lose MB and GC this year. Emily could also choose to leave if she wants.
She could also come back for probably 2 more years if she so choses.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Well, that was frustrating
to watch. But I have to llke our total domination and the players’ patience.

Reactions: billanole

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
I missed the first 50 minutes. Noles held the ball nearly nonstop vs an effective bunker defense. Several post clangs kept it to a single goal game. I was hoping to see Jody B and others show out, but win and advance is always good.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
We appear to be much improved this year in creating dangerous chances even when the defense is bunkered.
We need Jenna to quit trying to take 30 yard shots when there is more space to go forward of potential passes.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Agreed. Total domination on a day where we faced the likely defense we will see from many teams this year. Jenna seemed to be pressing. I like this freshman class.

fsugeo-2

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 18, 2017
Was the Clemson 3-0 win over UVA as surprising as it seems?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Yes! lt was not a fluke win either. It's not like either team dominated, but when Clemson
went forward, they were the more dangerous team.
UVA looked a little like us last year. Once they got forward they were not too dangerous.

Reactions: fsugeo-2

NoleFreak85

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2003
N. Virginia
www.fsusoftball.com
Does everyone think it's going to be another year (including the soon-to-be-approved spring season) of teams keeping all 11 inside their own 30 to neutralize our offensive plans?

I know it was 1-0, but there were a few shoulda been goals that the crossbar and a whiff canceled out. Just curious to see how we attack the soccer equivalent of the bear-front defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawyer55

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
I thought so. Clemmons scored early and were in control from then on out. UVA depth seems to be an issue.
I did not realize NC State is not playing this season. They don’t have enough players. Their star is fun to watch.

Reactions: fsugeo-2

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Does everyone think it's going to be another year (including the soon-to-be-approved spring season) of teams keeping all 11 inside their own 30 to neutralize our offensive plans?

I know it was 1-0, but there were a few shoulda been goals that the crossbar and a whiff canceled out. Just curious to see how we attack the soccer equivalent of the bear-front defense.
Yes we are going to face a lot of bunkering defenses. That said, this team has enough skill including at the wings to successfully attack those. If we played Louisville again we likely win three or four to nothing. Teams like UVA and North Carolina that don’t Bunker are going to risk some serious counter attack goals. Jody Brown and her exceptional speed and skill will really show well against teams like North Carolina and Virginia in my opinion

Reactions: NoleFreak85

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Looking back the 2019 team gave up an exceptionally high 27 goals. On the offensive end they would pass 18-times and still not get off a shot.

It's only two games in but this year's team has a much better dynamic.
A very succinct and accurate summary of last year.
I had no clue that losing Kuikka would impact us that greatly. Add to that the rash of injuries and Gloriana's early departure, and were porous on defense and plodding on offense.

Reactions: Sawyer55

Sawyer55

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
A very succinct and accurate summary of last year.
I had no clue that losing Kuikka would impact us that greatly. Add to that the rash of injuries and Gloriana's early departure, and were porous on defense and plodding on offense.

I think people knew Kuikka was great....but even that understanding may of been an underestimate of her value to the program. She was really one of the all time greats.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I think people knew Kuikka was great....but even that understanding may of been an underestimate of her value to the program. She was really one of the all time greats.
I agree. Not only was she smart with her angles, fast to the ball and aggressive, but she had her team mates backs and more than once got into an opposing player's face.
Any mock All Time FSU team has to have Natalia Kuikka!

Reactions: NoleFreak85

DrewSRQnole

Walk-on
Oct 15, 2019
Clemson just opened their new men’s/women’s soccer facility. Not sure how ours is at the moment but hope we can reward soccer/softball for how they’ve performed over the years. Looks like FSU soccer is currently raising money for a 2022 international trip on the coaches club website.

Reactions: NoleLizards

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I watched about 25 minutes of UVA vs VT last night.
Ugghh! VT was brave and played decent defense in the final third, but they lack quality in the midfield and up top. Their passing was high level high school at best.
UVA is experiencing injuries like we did the last couple of years. In addition to graduation losses, they have lost 3 key midfielders for an undetermined period of time.
I honestly believe we will smoke them.
The only thing that scares me about them is Ordonez and her heading prowess on crosses and set plays.
UNC is the only team that will challenge us IMO, unless you count bunkering as a challenge in which case several teams will challenge us.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I watched about 25 minutes of UVA vs VT last night.
Ugghh! VT was brave and played decent defense in the final third, but they lack quality in the midfield and up top. Their passing was high level high school at best.
UVA is experiencing injuries like we did the last couple of years. In addition to graduation losses, they have lost 3 key midfielders for an undetermined period of time.
I honestly believe we will smoke them.
The only thing that scares me about them is Ordonez and her heading prowess on crosses and set plays.
UNC is the only team that will challenge us IMO, unless you count bunkering as a challenge in which case several teams will challenge us.
992856_665196436853909_893313186_n.jpg

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
ND didn't park the bus. 'Ville did park the bus. VT didn't last night. Apparently UM isn't b/c they have been beaten by 3 ACC opponents 13-0 cumulatively. ND dropped 6 on them. UL (park the bus) dropped 3 on them. UVA will certainly not park the bus. Although we don't play them in the regular season UNC won't. Not sure about Duke, WF, Syr, BC etc.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Maybe talking soccer will take my mind off the football team.
I'm anxious to see how good Stanford, UCLA and USC are.
Can't wait to see what a spring schedule looks like.
I actually believe we will finish the 8 games undefeated.
Playing UNC in the tourney will reveal just how good we are.
Actually I should have said, playing UNC will give us a glimpse.
Losing Wuben Moy and Russo really hurts them.
It could be that the ACC is just waaay down and the PAC is the power again
this year.
Hope we schedule UCLA and or USC/Stanford in the spring.
Let's see what the standard is.

Last edited:

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Maybe talking soccer will take my mind off the football team.
I'm anxious to see how good Stanford, UCLA and USC are.
Can't wait to see what a spring schedule looks like.
I actually believe we will finish the 8 games undefeated.
Playing UNC in the tourney will reveal just how good we are.
Actually I should have said, playing UNC will give us a glimpse.
Losing Wuben Moy and Russo really hurts them.
It could be that the ACC is just waaay down and the PAC is the power again
this year.
Hope we schedule UCLA and or USC/Stanford in the spring.
Let's see what the standard is.
Don't forget - I believe the NCAA will be a reduced number. If we don't win the ACC Tournament, we ill have to fight it our for an at large bid (although I see this team getting one easily).

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
A burst of early action: VT with a speedy counter attack opportunity down the left side, Berkely limped off with an ankle/foot problem, Howell temporarily moved to backline, Noles nearly scored off a corner, Berkely back.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Still learning soccer - could a new player not come on for Berkely?
Me too! Basically yes, players can be substituted with some limitations that I don't fully understand.

3.4 Number of Substitutes
Either team may substitute up to 11 players at a time under the conditions
set forth in Rule 3.5.
3.5 When Allowed
Substitutes may enter the game under the following conditions:
3.5.1 On a goal kick;
3.5.2 On a team’s own throw-in;
Note: If the team in possession chooses to substitute, providing the requisites of Rule 3.7
are met, the opposing team also may substitute up to 11 players at that time.
3.5.3 On a team’s own corner kick;
Note: If the team in possession chooses to substitute, providing the requisites of Rule 3.7
are met, the opposing team also may substitute up to 11 players at that time.
3.5.4 After a goal has been scored;
3.5.5 Between periods;
3.5.6 When a player has been cautioned;
Note: In the case of a player(s) being cautioned, the coach may substitute for the
player(s) cautioned. If such a substitution is made, the opponent shall have the
opportunity to make an equal number of substitutions at that time.
A.R. 3.5.6. A player has been cautioned for misconduct. Before the kick is taken,
may a player enter the game as a substitute for the cautioned player? RULING: Yes,
and the opposing team may make an equal number of substitutions.
3.5.7 When a goalkeeper has been ejected;
Note: In the case of a goalkeeper being ejected, his or her team shall play short, and
the coach may substitute for the ejected goalkeeper only. If a substitution is made, a
field player shall be removed, and the opposing team shall not substitute at that time.
3.5.8 When a player has been instructed to leave the field for an equipment
change.
Note: In the event of an equipment change, only the player(s) with the equipment
problem may be replaced. The opponent may replace an equal number of players at
the same time.
A.R. 3.5.8.a. May a player who has been removed from the game for an equipment
change return? RULING: Yes, if the player was not substituted for while completing
the equipment change, the player may return at the next stoppage in play. No, if
another player was substituted for the player with the equipment change, the original
player may not re-enter the game in the period in which he or she was replaced.
Exception: The player is allowed one re-entry in the second period only. And, when
applicable, a goalkeeper shall be entitled to his/her re-entry in any period.
A.R. 3.5.8.b. A player from Team A is instructed to leave the field for an
equipment change and is not replaced at that time. Provided a player from Team B is
ready to enter the game, is it permissible for that player to enter the game when the
player from Team A returns? RULING: Yes, the player from Team B may enter the
game at the same time Player A returns to the game, provided the Team B player has
already checked in at the scorer’s table. If the player from Team A does not return to
20 RULE 3 / Playersand Substitutes
the game, the Team B player shall wait until the next allowable time for substitutions
set forth in Rule 3.5.
3.5.9 In the event of an injury.
Note: In the event of an injury, only the injured player(s) may be replaced. The
opponent may replace an equal number of players at the same time.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
VT did pretty well for a while but now they have collapsed. I liked their defensive strategy of initially falling back to protect the goal and then flexing out to cut off perimeter passing. They definitely have problems defending corner kicks, Howell was about two feet above everyone when she headed one in.

4 - 0 and counting.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I liked HP late in the game. Thought she was under control and aggressive in attacking.
Finally got a glimpse of what Mark likes about Flynn.
Brown being in the game and even near the ball is disruptive to the other team.
JN looked much better in the 2nd half. She was more aggressive.
I like Iwai.
Hope Jaelin is fine. Knee injuries are scary.
She is the single most important player we have.
Go Noles!
Did the ref not miss a handball in the box against VT late in the game?

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jaelin jumped high for the header following her injury. I took her exit after that to mean she was being taken out because the game is over and to rest her. I agree she is our most important player right now and we need her to make the best run we can.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jaelin jumped high for the header following her injury. I took her exit after that to mean she was being taken out because the game is over and to rest her. I agree she is our most important player right now and we need her to make the best run we can.
The knee must have been bothering her, because she almost never leaves a game.
I'll be on pins and needles until I hear more.

Sawyer55

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I know it isn't coaches style, but I like to see fresh faces in the game. Especially with blow outs. And there have been many blowouts this year.

Great win last night

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
If I had to guess, I'd say Jaelin tore a meniscus in her knee.
If that is the case, a knee scope could have her back in 3 or 4 weeks.
She's tough!
She will be our next national teamer if healthy IMO.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
If I had to guess, I'd say Jaelin tore a meniscus in her knee.
If that is the case, a knee scope could have her back in 3 or 4 weeks.
She's tough!
She will be our next national teamer if healthy IMO.
Do you have any inside info on that (or speculation)?