2020/21 Women's Soccer

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Ran Iwai is adroitly forward-moving with the ball, Jody Brown accelerates like a sports car, Cristina Roque just smothered a tough shot. The rookies are looking really good.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Made my day to see Howell and Berkeley out there today showing no signs of injury from the last game.

Reactions: Sawyer55

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Made my day to see Howell and Berkeley out there today showing no signs of injury from the last game.
Amen!
Nice to play a team that did not try and bunker.
We could have easily scored 6 or more.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Good deal. 4 - 0. Next up: at Pitt on Thursday at 6 then at Virginia Sunday at 3.

I don't understand the schedule, after the eight regular season games there will be ACC tournament with how many teams? Then how more games in the winter/spring and against who? When is the 48-team NCAA? Signed, Easily Confused.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I believe we are off again this week and then travel to Pitt and Virginia the following week.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Squiffy, my understanding is ACC tourney will be this fall and will include 8 teams. NCAA will allow a spring season, if Covid cooperates, followed by 48-team tournament, which probably means fewer ACC teams qualify. That shouldn't be a problem for our Noles.

I haven't seen details on the "regular" spring season.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This team has me excited.
They seem to be taking coaching.
When they get near the box they are passing it around with a purpose and find creative ways to attack.
I honestly think we go through the 8 games with no problem. Now UNC is athletic and deep enough to cause anyone problems.
I am hoping to see more of Payne. She looks so much better in the attacking 1/3.

Last edited:

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Good deal. 4 - 0. Next up: at Pitt on Thursday at 6 then at Virginia Sunday at 3.

I don't understand the schedule, after the eight regular season games there will be ACC tournament with how many teams? Then how more games in the winter/spring and against who? When is the 48-team NCAA? Signed, Easily Confused.
I resemble that remark. Wut, wut schedule wise?

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This team has me excited.
They seem to be taking coaching.
When they get near the box they are passing it around with a purpose and find creative ways to attack.
I honestly think we go through the 8 games with no problem. Now UNC is athletic and enough to cause anyone
problems.
I am hoping to see more of Payne. She looks so much better in the attacking 1/3.
I agree with you but whose time would you cut?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Do yo think the freshmen got the early playing time because Payne was playing for Ireland? I do. If she is back for good I see her playing time increasing.
Yes, but that's just my opinion.
Heck IMO Brown should also be seeing more time.
I'd start her in the 2nd half. Take her out after 15 minutes and reinsert her with about 10 minutes to go.
Payne looks dangerous and aggressive. Her passes are definitely more precise than the freshmen.
I trust Mark. He knows what he's doing.
p.s. I like how aggressive JN has been the last couple of games.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The Wake Forest coach (who has coached Wake for 23 of the program's 26 seasons) said after the match that this year's team is the best FSU team he has ever seen. In particular he thinks our depth is exceptional.
Wow! Hope he proves to be right!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
From UNC official athletic site, we get this. "Due to COVID and injury-related issues on University of Virginia's roster, the non-conference game will not be played. "

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
From UNC official athletic site, we get this. "Due to COVID and injury-related issues on University of Virginia's roster, the non-conference game will not be played. "
Why is this referred to as a "non-conference game?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Why is this referred to as a "non-conference game?
Some conference schools have scheduled games with other conference schools NOT set up by the ACC.
For instance, UVA has played VT twice. Apparently UNC and UVA setup just such a game.

Reactions: ranger43

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Some conference schools have scheduled games with other conference schools NOT set up by the ACC.
For instance, UVA has played VT twice. Apparently UNC and UVA setup just such a game.
Thank you. I was not aware of that. So, was there only one game between the two scheduled during the Fall and it is now cancelled?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Thank you. I was not aware of that. So, was there only one game between the two scheduled during the Fall and it is now cancelled?
Yes. Inexplicably the ACC has not matched up UVA with UNC the last 2 (this makes 3) regular seasons.
I checked out UVA's website.
https://virginiasports.com/sports/wsoc/schedule/
Before this cancellation they had 11 games scheduled. That means VT, UNC and one more were not scheduled by the ACC.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The bad news: Seminoles won't have Jaelin Howell available from October 18-28. The good news: she's been called up to the USWNT camp during that time period! That will be the first national team camp in seven months. Jaelin is one of 27 who will get a close look from our coaches.

NoleFreak85

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2003
N. Virginia
www.fsusoftball.com
The bad news: Seminoles won't have Jaelin Howell available from October 18-28. The good news: she's been called up to the USWNT camp during that time period! That will be the first national team camp in seven months. Jaelin is one of 27 who will get a close look from our coaches.
Time to play the subs!

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Time to play the subs!

Good for her. Plus, it looks like she will only miss Virginia (albeit our toughest regular season match).

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Quite frankly, I think we beat anyone on our current schedule even without Jaelin Howell. I will be interested to see how Mark changes his substitution strategy. I assume he will be playing Clara Robbins in the holding midfield, but not sure she plays all 90 minutes the way Jaelin normally does.
Now that we are having a spring soccer season and an NCAA tournament, is this still a redshirt year for everyone?

Reactions: NoleFreak85

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
What are everyone's thoughts on our entire team playing in the NCAA Championship that won't be held until May, or will some leave to play in the NWSL (National Women's Soccer League)?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I’m looking forward to Pitt and UVA this week Pitt should be a blowout, but UVA on the road will be our first real test in my opinion!

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I expect we will see much more substituting since this is not a championship run. I expect
we will see all players at some time. Hope this works well for the team and the players.
I'll be interested to see which seniors will come back for another season.
It has been suggested that MB and GC have done enough to move on to a pro career if they so choose.
Others may move on to their chosen career (outside of soccer).
The other side of the coin, is some of these same seniors can work on an advanced degree at FSU's expense.
It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Now that we are halfway thru the season and have a better idea about the championship quality of this team, what are your thoughts on who returns next Fall from the (5) seniors? Is it too unreasonable to think that all 5 will return? In softball, 4 of the five returned for this season and I assume are working on advanced degrees. That is a very sweet (and previously unexpected) deal for them. In soccer, you have to like their championship aspirations even more, but perhaps professional soccer will come calling for some.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I have no inside info.
That said, Gabby Carle and Malia Berkely may opt for pro soccer. Gabby is a Canadian NTer. MB should be a high draft choice. She is on the radar of the USWNT.
I have no idea about KMac, Clara or Emily.
I guess it comes down to how much they want to get on with their life, versus staying another year (advanced degree) and competing for a 3rd, or will it be 4th natty?

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I have no inside info.
That said, Gabby Carle and Malia Berkely may opt for pro soccer. Gabby is a Canadian NTer. MB should be a high draft choice. She is on the radar of the USWNT.
I have no idea about KMac, Clara or Emily.
I guess it comes down to how much they want to get on with their life, versus staying another year (advanced degree) and competing for a 3rd, or will it be 4th natty?
True. I guess only time will tell. Let's get the 2nd half of Fall started right with a great win tonight at Pitt. Do you think Jaelin is with the team? Pitt would be a great team to get some experience against for whoever starts in her place against Virginia Sunday afternoon.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I thought we were sloppy in the first half.
I saw glimpses of why Mark is starting Zipay. She has good pace, pretty good ball skills, she's not afraid
to unleash a shot and is a pretty good passer on end line runs.
Thought Jenna's passing was off in the first half.
Jody Brown missed a couple of very makeable shots. Gotta' bury those.
Clara is very good and doesn't make many mistakes.
She'll do fine covering for Jaelin against UVA.
Still like what Heather brings to the game. She penetrates and has very good touch passing skills.
Lynch is a battler. I mean that in a positive sense.
Jaelin is the most important player on our team.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
It was amazing how the crowd noise never stopped. I don't get into conspiracies but it sounded like a 10-second loop from a Premiere League game.