2021-22 Women's Basketball

benzynole

Star Player
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2003
Can Coach Sue keep her job with another season like this next year? I don’t see the Calvary coming to save the day.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Rough season that started with high expectations. I expect we will see some departures announced over the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to the future. We saw bright spots from Timpson and Gordon this season. I think the experience they got this year will be very valuable. Bringing in the nations top guard next season should help and I think she will pair well with Gordon. We Will have a nice young trio in Latson, Gordon and Timpson. This team needs another dominant big and a shooter.

Reactions: squiffynole

runningnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2003
I've been studying Greek Philosophers lately to help with my mental preparation for the inevitable tribulations. To wit:

“It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.”
― Epictetus
Absolutely true! Words to live by!

Last edited:

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Lets be honest, the reality is on paper this was the most talented team ever at FSU and the entire program woefully under performed this year. I believe they will actually be better next year, despite the losses, sometimes less is more.

dempman

Star Player
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Lets be honest, the reality is on paper this was the most talented team ever at FSU and the entire program woefully under performed this year. I believe they will actually be better next year, despite the losses, sometimes less is more.
This team played much harder and better for Brooke last year. Not a good sign for Coach Sue!

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
On paper this team appeared to be very talented and should’ve have been much better but this team was no where close to being better than that 2014-2015 team. Man that team was just another level. That was our best chance to get to a final four

I agree with less is more in regards to next season. The ham like substation doesn’t really fit Semrau’s style. Her success has come from 5 double digit capable scorers on the roster.

Reactions: squiffynole

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Just compare how the Basketball team plays as individuals and the Softball team plays as a team any you can see why the BB team did not win. Maybe we will finally hear about the issues in the locker room ( just maybe) and why they were not a cohesive team. One could see it as they warmed up, got behind to start many games. I don't know but the last two seasons they have had many open shots and did not take, run that circular offense but shooters are not ready to shoot until there are 10 seconds or less on the shot clock.

Don't know why but Sue needs to fix it. Is her heart really back into this team? I have not seen it this year.

CC0492

Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
We took 20 ft’s in the 1st half and only two in the 2nd half
Yeah that is highly suspect imo. Were they too one-sided and whistle-friendly in the 1st half; did they get a warning to knock it off at halftime? We'll never know.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Its just a shame, 10 - 9 last season and after a lousy start a shockingly inconsistent 17 - 14 this year.

I personally think the head coach is not a great tactician, the assistant head coach is not able to bridge the gap, we have some players who have not strived to improve year to year and there are personality problems in the locker room. I also think Sue is highly proven and our best bet, its her job as long as she wants it.

Like @semispear suggests we are a long way from the quality we enjoyed in 2014-2015 and I too see hope in the young players.

I just want to get better and will look forward to getting back to it in the Fall.

Reactions: semispear

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
FGCU upset Virginia Tech today in the 12-5 matchup. Miami beat USF and UF & UCF face off tomorrow.

Crazy to think we were the worst team in the state this year given the level of talent and experience we have.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Don't know why but Sue needs to fix it. Is her heart really back into this team? I have not seen it this year.
Teams typically play off the energy/identity of the coach. I watched UM play today and their coach is always fired up and wired. Her team plays just like that.

I didn’t see a lot of emotion from Sue this year as she just seemed very passive and mild on the sideline and even in her interviews. This team didn’t play with any sense of urgency and was very lackadaisical throughout the season. Ham doesn’t show any emotion lol but you always see CY on the sidelong bringing it. Sue doesn’t have that counterpart on her bench.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
UVA hired the coach from Missouri St who just beat us in the tourney. She is a strong coach, won’t be long before they are competitive in the ACC again.

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
For the long term success I hope it is complete and real search. Not saying it cannot be Brook but FSU should get the best HC available to FSU. So be it if after that Brooke is selected. Cannot afford a quick hire that is not the right one. More important to get the right coach then make a quick hire.

runningnole

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2003
Congratulations and best wishes to Coach Sue! Thank you for putting your heart and soul into building our women’s basketball program from the ground up. We love you and we will miss you. Enjoy your retirement! ❤️💛🙏🏀😍🎵

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Semrau is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of FSU WBB. She is the coach I would want my kid to play to prepare for life outside of bball because she truly cares for them as people which you see former players mention all the time.

Looking ahead, I’m hearing Brooke will be announced. While I would like to get the best person available, keeping Brooke gives current players and incoming recruit some stability. Players like Timpson, Puisis, Jones said Wyckoff was the reason they chose FSU, Timpson even wears her old number. Incoming AA Latson said her relationship with the coaches was why she chose FSU. If we went outside, I would think there would be a exodus of players leaving and the new coach would truly have to start over.

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
UVA hired the coach from Missouri St who just beat us in the tourney. She is a strong coach, won’t be long before they are competitive in the ACC again.
Surprised they haven't tried to poach Dawn Staley at some point.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
The article doesn’t mention anything about a national search so we can assume they have their successor (Brooke). If that’s the choice, what expectations should we have or changes would we like to see from Wyckoff as the HC?

Unlikely to happen but are there any outside candidates you would like to see on the sidelines?

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
The article doesn’t mention anything about a national search so we can assume they have their successor (Brooke). If that’s the choice, what expectations should we have or changes would we like to see from Wyckoff as the HC?

Unlikely to happen but are there any outside candidates you would like to see on the sidelines?
Carla Berube from Princeton.

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
Incidentally, if anyone's interested in viewing Coach Berube and her Lady Tigers in action, they face Indiana in the NCAAT's second round on ESPNU at 8 tonight. (11th-seeded Princeton knocked off sixth-seeded Kentucky in the first.)

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
My own perception is Brooke is a valuable member of the staff who ideally serves as a #3. I think she brings players together as a big sister and "good cop" but her prospects are not so good as a game manager, disciplination and organizational leader and all the dimensions that entails. That's harsh, I know, if she gets the job I'll rally behind her and hope I'm wrong.

Beyond that I have no real clue about who we can afford or who would best move the program forward. I do hope to keep Brooke and Morgan Toles.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Morgan Jones has decided to transfer elsewhere for her last year of eligibility.

Will be weird seeing her in anything other than an FSU uniform.

No update on the new coach and players starting to enter the portal. Not feeling to good about things now.

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
Morgan Jones has decided to transfer elsewhere for her last year of eligibility.

Will be weird seeing her in anything other than an FSU uniform.

No update on the new coach and players starting to enter the portal. Not feeling to good about things now.
There's no shortage of qualified promising mid-major candidates available. A little scary that we haven't yet heard if Alford is persuing any of those or is intending to stand pat wiith Brooke.

Time's a-wasting.

Reactions: semispear

Latest posts