ADVERTISEMENT

Another Tally recs thread...

CoralGablesNole!!

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 22, 2004
Heading up for the opener. Wanted to drive down to the coast to show the wife the scene around the ocean.

Poseys was always my spot, but didn't it burn down? Did they reopen? Is there another seafood joint on the water in the same area that is better nowadays?

Looking for oysters, grouper, water view and cold beer.

TIA

Heading up for the opener. Wanted to drive down to the coast to show the wife the scene around the ocean.

Poseys was always my spot, but didn't it burn down? Did they reopen? Is there another seafood joint on the water in the same area that is better nowadays?

TIA

Poseys is open but not on the water. Truthfully I'd drive over to Boss Oyster and grab some amazing seafood with your table literally built on a deck over the river. Amazing food, pretty cheap and great views.

But if you're not willing to go that far, I'd either eat at Poseys even though not on the water, eat at Angelos even though it's WAY overpriced for mediocre food at best (other than the octopus, it's got the best in Florida outside of Tarpon Springs), or if you just want cheap local raw oysters and steamed shrimp overlooking the water I'd go to Fathoms in Carrabelle (they don't even have fried seafood, so it's a total raw and steamed oyster dive bar).

Poseys is open but not on the water. Truthfully I'd drive over to Boss Oyster and grab some amazing seafood with your table literally built on a deck over the river. Amazing food, pretty cheap and great views.

But if you're not willing to go that far, I'd either eat at Poseys even though not on the water, eat at Angelos even though it's WAY overpriced for mediocre food at best (other than the octopus, it's got the best in Florida outside of Tarpon Springs), or if you just want cheap local raw oysters and steamed shrimp overlooking the water I'd go to Fathoms in Carrabelle (they don't even have fried seafood, so it's a total raw and steamed oyster dive bar).
Thanks. How far is boss oyster from tally?

Reactions: bruiser brody
One hour by the way I drive, 1.5 by Google maps. Only you know how long it would take you to do it with the Google estimate. Heck it might take my parents 2.5

Hour and 15 mins the way I drive, 2 by Google maps. Only you know how long it would take you to do it with the Google estimate. Heck it might take my parents 2.5
Thx. So Posey's river front location closed and they reopened off the water? That kinda sucks.

Thx. So Posey's river front location closed and they reopened off the water? That kinda sucks.

Yep. Still really great fried food and decent raw oysters but not on the water. Also note I revised my estimate from where I live in Tally (opposite side of town) to downtown. Boss is 76 miles from downtown Tally.

Thanks. How far is boss oyster from tally?

Plus from Apalachicola you're maybe only another 30 mins from St Joseph and St George which are both infinitely better than the man made beaches in South Florida (I'm making assumptions based on your name).

Basically if Boss is a 10/10 for raw oysters and 9/10 for fried and other seafood and a 9.5/10 for the view and ambience

then Poseys is a 8.5/10 for raw oysters, a 10/10 for fried seafood and a 2/10 for view and ambiance

Angelos is a 5/10 for raw oysters (usually ok quality but they don't clean and shuck them well it's often muddy on the outside which can get in the opened oysters and there's always she'll fragments in the meat), 8/10 for fried and other seafood and a 7/10 for view.

Fathoms is 9/10 for raw oysters and steamed shrimp, a big fat zero for fried or interesting other seafood as they don't do that and 8 or 9/10 for the view

Angelos sucks. Beyond overpriced and the food really isn't good.

Seinyard at Summer Camp Beach is a favorite of ours and not far from Angelos.

Coastal is owned by angelos and is where people actually go because you get better food at a lower cost about a block away from there.

I never liked posey's red neck leave the skin on the fish method of cooking myself. The place next door down there, riverfront, has better fish IMO and it's actually on the water and you can't use one hand to count the waitresses' teeth. I haven't had the oysters from there so take it FWIW.

Boss oyster made the top 21 list in America. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-21-best-oyster-bars-in-america

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Seinyard at Summer Camp Beach is a favorite of ours and not far from Angelos.

Coastal is owned by angelos and is where people actually go because you get better food at a lower cost about a block away from there.

I never liked posey's red neck leave the skin on the fish method of cooking myself. The place next door down there, riverfront, has better fish IMO and it's actually on the water and you can't use one hand to count the waitresses' teeth. I haven't had the oysters from there so take it FWIW.

Boss oyster made the top 21 list in America. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/the-21-best-oyster-bars-in-america

Great list, especially since I've been to 9 out of 15. Boss is my third favorite in the country. Runner up is Grand Central because even though they're expensive they have HUGE selection of oysters flown in daily and it's the only place I know of where you can get finest flat oysters from Belon France, Virginicus from Apalachicola to Wellfleet and even up into Canada, a couple of species of Pacific oysters from Washington and British Columbia and Antarctic oysters from New Zealand fishing fleets. But my favorite is Taylor farm in Washington. They not only farm the best super sweet Pacific oysters, but also farm their own geoduck and a abalone both of which are even better than the finest oysters when raw and sliced thin then dipped in a mignonette sauce.

Boss meanwhile only has the local Virginicus oyster but it is the best possible version of that species very briney and minerally and slightly sweeter than most Atlantic varieties of the Virginicus (not sweeter than most Pacific eating species though). But in addition to the best Atlantic Virginicus oysters they have really great preps. It's rare that I like a prep other than straight raw that I add pickled horseradish, Crystal or mignonette to, but they have several. Especially the Japanoise which you MUST get at least on the sampler. Southern living says its the best oyster prep anywhere (which I would agree but for their now unfortunately deceased sashimi prep which had seaweed salad, wasabi, sriracha and a tablespoon of flying fish roe. Unfortunately they no longer do that and sashimi is something else on their menu but Japanoise is close.

TIA
Here's a great local Oyster Restaurant in my opinion has the best oysters in Tallahassee. Awesome place just south of the Capitol. Cash only though.
https://m.facebook.com/ShellOysterBar

Here's a great local Oyster Restaurant in my opinion has the best oysters in Tallahassee. Awesome place just south of the Capitol. Cash only though.
https://m.facebook.com/ShellOysterBar

Shell is definitely the best oyster bar in Tallahassee by far although to me that would be a 7/10 equivalent to Outzes Too in St Marks for oysters. It's fried food and smoked mullet is even better probably a 9/10. But its got no view, is only open for lunch really (it is open until 6 which boggles my mind, who other than retirement and nursing home residents eats dinner before 5?), is cash only and has a horrible ambiance. Really good sides with their three bean salad, good sweet milk style coleslaw and above decent cheese grits, so I'm not knocking the food (yes the oysters aren't as good as Carrabelle, Panama City, Cedar Key, St George Island and especially Apalachicola, but it's better than any place I've been to on the Atlantic side of Florida and Tallahassee, but the other stuff is really good.). It just didn't sound like what the OP painted as his desired location. I definitely go there relatively frequently, maybe six times a year meeting former coworkers and/or my wife for lunch.

Reactions: CoralGablesNole!!
Blue Parrot on St. George Island is hard to beat for being on the water. Oysters are usually good, regular menu is average. It's right on the beach but a little farther from Tally than Panacea.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Plus from Apalachicola you're maybe only another 30 mins from St Joseph and St George which are both infinitely better than the man made beaches in South Florida (I'm making assumptions based on your name).
Really? Taking a shot at South Florida huh? Yeah, Apalachicola is so much nicer than South Beach.

Sorry bud, but you're way off on this. It's a little pricey, but every time I've been there, the food has kicked azz. Fried shrimp, heads on grilled shrimp, fried flounder, blackened grouper, blackened wahoo have been cooked to perfection. Homemade pies damn! No clue about the oysters, I don't eat em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT