ADVERTISEMENT

Any recommendations for a private school in Tallahassee for Middle School?

Personal recs in order:

1. Maclay
2. Trinity (biased b/c I went there)
3. FSUS
4. NFC
5. Holy Comforter

Unknowns:
Any of the Charter Schools, FAMU DRS

I'd stay away from any kind of Charter School or FAMU DRS.
Maclay and NFC are both solid.
Florida High used to be a very good, but not sure if it has changed recently.

Thanks in advance.
Maclay is considered the top school in Tallahassee from an academic standpoint. However it is extremely expensive and just not feasible for most.
NFC is solid but has some of its own issues. Pretty good folks at NFC though and athletic programs are very solid...esp. football and baseball.
Fla. High has declined from what I understand as I think it was a "C" school last year. Athletics have slipped some.
Don't really have any experience or knowledge of Trinity or Holy Comforter at the middle school level. I do know some folks that have kids in the elementary of both and seem to think they are good schools.

I have three kids at Maclay (including an eighth grader) and my Dad ran the high school for 37 years so you know who I recommend:)

There are several good public school middle schools depending on your school zone. I have always heard good things about Trinity and Holy Comforter's "new" school is beautiful.

NFC has a terrible academic reputation. I would steer clear of there.

Always hear great things about Holy Comforter but I have no personal experience to go on.

Maclay - expensive but excellent reputation.

NFC has a terrible academic reputation. I would steer clear of there.

Always hear great things about Holy Comforter but I have no personal experience to go on.

Maclay - expensive but excellent reputation.

The feedback that I am getting away from this board is that Maclay and Holy Comforter are tops as far as academic reputation is concerned. Trinity seems to come in somewhere after that (and it is probably the top choice for Catholics). Oddly enough, I haven't had one person recommend NFC. It's always negative.

It looks like Holy Comforter and Maclay are about the same cost.

Trinity. My daughter loved 6th grade there and did well last year. School started last Friday........

I have a 10th grader and Maclay and 4th grader at Holy Comforter. A majority of the Holy Comforter kids seem to head to Maclay for high school. I've been very happy.

Maclay is considered the top school in Tallahassee from an academic standpoint. However it is extremely expensive and just not feasible for most.
NFC is solid but has some of its own issues. Pretty good folks at NFC though and athletic programs are very solid...esp. football and baseball.
Fla. High has declined from what I understand as I think it was a "C" school last year. Athletics have slipped some.
Don't really have any experience or knowledge of Trinity or Holy Comforter at the middle school level. I do know some folks that have kids in the elementary of both and seem to think they are good schools.

Florida High is an "A" school. Has been for years

FYI for high school. There is no advantage of private over public academically in Tally

Last edited:
Florida High is an "A" school. Has been for years
Yeah & it's not really private either. Enrollment comes from an area wide lottery based on demographics & I think now that it's located on St. Joe property (Southwood) kids from that area get in too.
It's not a county school but it's not private either. State funded research school. My oldest daughter is a proud member of the 13 year club. Kindergarden through high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT