ADVERTISEMENT

Any William Faulkner fans?

billyfsu76

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Orlando, FL
I'm on this mission to read all of Faulkner's novels. I'm about halfway home, read all the biggies and now on to the others. Read quite a few of the short stories as well.

Anyone here read Faulkner? If so, what's your preferred book(s) by him?

I'm on this mission to read all of Faulkner's novels. I'm about halfway home, read all the biggies and now on to the others. Read quite a few of the short stories as well.

Anyone here read Faulkner? If so, what's your preferred book(s) by him?

We weren't forced to read him in school and the plot synopsis sound terrible so I've never read anything by him. I realize the plot synopsis doesn't truthfully mean anything and I've read books and seen movies that in a quick blurb sound uninteresting yet were great (Kings Speech in particular comes to mind) but I've never tried to read them. That is different than a lot of other "classics" I've either read and enjoyed later in life (like Moby Dick which I finished only last year) or attempted only to give up (War & Peace for example which I started this year to prep for the miniseries and never made it further than a tenth of the way in as I was bored to tears).

I love Faulkner. As I Lay Dying is my favorite of his novels.

Only have read a few short stories, but really like his stuff. I have meant to pick up,and read his works as you are. The stream of consciousness is a style that my thought process can relate to...as a matter of fact The Tradition used to refer to my threads as being written in that fashion.

I love Faulkner. As I Lay Dying is my favorite of his novels.

I am torn between As I Lay Dying and Absalom, Absalom! so far. It seems in the literary and critical world, The Sound and the Fury usually is considered his best, but I prefer those two. I don't know but, for me, I also thought that parts of Go Down, Moses are right up there with his best work, especially the segment entitled "The Bear."

Light in August was a fantastic book... started another one of his... and halfway through it changed from a realistic setting to a dream sequence ... the dream sequence seemed to go on and on... so... I bailed...

Didn't love Faulkner but was forced to read him in both undergrad and grad school. Perhaps my professors picked the wrong books to force upon us.
As I Lay Dying - the shifting points of view were a clever gimmick.
Sanctuary - creepy and totally different feel - a young socialite is essentially abducted and raped by proxy, .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT