ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the series, "The Man in the High Castle"?

tolkien1

All-ACC
Gold Member
Mar 3, 2003
Is anyone watching the series that just dropped on Amazon Prime: The Man in the High Castle? The show is a TV series version of the Phillip K. Dick book about the US in 1962, ten years after Germany and Japan defeated the US in WWII. Basically, the Nazi empire controls the Eastern and Midwestern U.S. while Japan controls the West Coast. The Mountain West is essentially a lawless neutral territory. I've enjoyed it so far.

I will start watching eventually. I read a similar book years ago, same topic but subject matter definitely in my wheel house.

I watched the first two episodes. Not sure how I feel yet. I agree that it is a bit slow.

I'm almost through it. 2 episodes left. They're very good about leaving cliffhangers at the end of an episode. Makes you want to binge watch

A little slow, but worth the payoff at the end, you have to buy into the premise and hope to hell it does not derail like "Lost". It will be interesting to see how next season goes and how they explain what is happening. Being vague so not to spoil

So what is the premise upon which lil' Germany conquers? Or is it just kept murky?
The premise is the assassination attempt on FDR in 1933 in Miami is successful and US is an isolationist country who eventually is drawn into the War and loses in 1947 as Germany has the A-Bomb and other advanced weaponry. Japan has the West Coast, Germany the East Coast to it looks like Chicago and there is a neutral zone.

Been meaning to check it out. Kind of drifting in shows to binge right now, haven't found one that totally hooked me for a while.

I really liked Mr Robot at first, but it kind of lost my interest with the direction it went in. I think I've only got a couple left I just need to power through.

Started Jessica Jones, first few episodes are fine, but I don't know if I care.

I go back to Rectify from time to time, but it's pretty damn slow. I'm pretty sure it's great, but I just don't go to it much. It's weird, it's usually a last resort go to if I'm in a particular mood, but it's the show I'm mostly likely to watch three hours of in a sitting. Once I'm in it hypnotizes me, but I'm never like "I've got to see what happens next."

I'm kind of tough...a show can be good, but if I just find myself not caring about the characters much or what happens next, I'm out.

Been meaning to check it out. Kind of drifting in shows to binge right now, haven't found one that totally hooked me for a while.

I really liked Mr Robot at first, but it kind of lost my interest with the direction it went in. I think I've only got a couple left I just need to power through.

Started Jessica Jones, first few episodes are fine, but I don't know if I care.

I go back to Rectify from time to time, but it's pretty damn slow. I'm pretty sure it's great, but I just don't go to it much. It's weird, it's usually a last resort go to if I'm in a particular mood, but it's the show I'm mostly likely to watch three hours of in a sitting. Once I'm in it hypnotizes me, but I'm never like "I've got to see what happens next."

I'm kind of tough...a show can be good, but if I just find myself not caring about the characters much or what happens next, I'm out.

I'm also a couple of episodes in to Jessica Jones and so far it's definitely not as good as Daredevil. Of course it could turn around once the main villain starts coming to the forefront so I haven't given up on it. But it's definitely starting much slower than Daredevil which was fantastic from beginning to end.

I'm also a couple of episodes in to Jessica Jones and so far it's definitely not as good as Daredevil. Of course it could turn around once the main villain starts coming to the forefront so I haven't given up on it. But it's definitely starting much slower than Daredevil which was fantastic from beginning to end.

I'll have to try Daredevil. I literally gave it like 10 minutes, which isn't really a fair assessment.

I'll have to try Daredevil. I literally gave it like 10 minutes, which isn't really a fair assessment.

No. It's hands down the best superhero show that's ever been made and some of the action sequences rival the bigger blockbuster superhero movies.

Here, I found an exemplar action sequence that doesn't give away any of the plot. It's a scene that could be on Banshee because it shows amazing fighting that COULD be realistic. In other words he's not superman and impervious to everything. He might land ten punches to your one, but that one is going to hurt him. And he will get tired and he will get hurt. It Ramps up the drama by having a superhuman but still actual human character.

No. It's hands down the best superhero show that's ever been made and some of the action sequences rival the bigger blockbuster superhero movies.

I'll try it, but if that's ALL it is it still might not do it for me, since I've never had a superhero show I was into. Well, that's not true, I really loved the Adam West Batman show when I was ten. Since, then, not so much. I guess I liked the first season of Heroes ok.

I'm even getting a little burned out on the superhero movies, which I've always been a HUGE fan of. I found myself during Age of Ultron sadly realizing that after all the time spent in this series, virtually all of the movies which I like or loved....I was just about done. Don't really care any more. It's not them, it's me.

Felt the same way watching the Hunger Games finale, not that it's superheros exactly. I really enjoyed the first two. Had the gnawing suspicion during the third one that I was losing interest, confirmed in the fourth. Not that it didn't taste good, but I am just full.

It's a great thing for cinema how legitimate good writing, acting and film making has made it's way to the mass-market popcorn movie in the last decade or two. It's perhaps the best development in film since I grew up in the 80s, when there were good movies or popular movies, and very few of the popular movies were even average let alone great. But the downside is that with these things running into the 10s of hours over years and years, for me fatigue just sets in after a while.

Just finished all the Man in the High Castle episodes. Thought it was a great show.

Anyone have a theory how the Japanese guy was able to get to the real timeline at the end? Thought it was interesting that Hitler was obviously in a high castle, and he had a lot of movies. Is the resistance unknowingly working for Hitler?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT