ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Thread

What's the name of the place?

Big Shanty BBQ in Kennesaw. I check out their daily specials online and they usually post a day or two before letting people know about the smoked corned beef brisket. I love Fox Bros BBQ and Heirloom Market BBQ here too but the smoked corned beef brisket is something unique and delicious.

cornedbeef1_zps4xpervhn.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Big Shanty BBQ in Kennesaw. I check out their daily specials online and they usually post a day or two before letting people know about the smoked corned beef brisket. I love Fox Bros BBQ and Heirloom Market BBQ here too but the smoked corned beef brisket is something unique and delicious.

cornedbeef1_zps4xpervhn.jpg
I know little about barbecue, but since we're talking Atlanta I can vouch for Fox Brothers. Their smoked wings are like crack. Ribs are a bit inconsistent though. Community Que in Decatur is good too. Can't vouch for the other places mentioned as I don't venture OTP often, but they sure sound good.

I don't know how the BBQ thread moved to Pastrami as they are completely different animals. That said, I do love some Katz's pastrami. Seeing those pictures almost made me book a flight to NYC for this weekend!!!!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Didn't there used to be a BBQ joint in South Atlanta near a prison that was supposed to be jam up? I can't remember the name, but remembered I wanted to get by there but never could.

If you are ever east of Atlanta you should try this place. It's a bit of a hike from Atlanta, but it's amazing and really reasonably priced........ enough so that I'll make the trip once a month. The pulled pork and brisket are excellent. They make a grilled cheese on texas toast with pulled pork that is outstanding. Best BBQ I've had in the State (just ahead of Smoakies in Cordele). http://www.yelp.com/biz/mad-dogs-bbq-conyers

I usually get a pork sandwich and a brisket sandwich. It comes in around $10.

Interesting that you mentioned Smoakies. I stopped there once just because it was on the way from Tally to Atlanta and that's when I was hungry. We came away pretty impressed! The homemade pork rinds were great and the bbq was definitely the best I've had in Georgia, at least until I tried Fresh Air. Smoakies definitely has more choices as Fresh Air gives you no choice besides a quasi-Western Carolina style pulled pork sammy (I say quasi because while the meat and sauce are definitely Western Carolina style, it doesn't use red slaw as a topper for the sammy). So I'll just declare it a tie as you get more choices at Smoakies but the one individual item at Fresh Air was great.

First Choice BBQ in Tampa was the first place I had smoked corned beef and it was amazing! So I replicated it and won a amateur BBQ contest.

DSC_3555_zps94d04964.jpg

Last edited:
Cob Nole gave me the recipe for his spicy mustard bbq sauce. I mixed up a small amount and it's perfect, just got a big shipment of all the ingredients and have 22 bottles. That will hold me awhile. It's my absolute favorite sauce anywhere

This is the cure recipe that I use. I have tweaked it over the years with more garlic, etc. smoked on a blend of hickory and post oak (as an aside, avoid getting the Surface, it's keyboard is horrible, I have had to retype this three times because my fingers hit the "mouse pad" which moves the cursor) After I smoke it, you can put it in a slower cooker/Ninja on a rack (to keep it out of water) for the steam roast or sealed tight on put on your grill if you want to stay outside.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pastrami-breakfast-biscuit

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT