ADVERTISEMENT

Braveheart 20 years later.............

best movie I've ever seen.

As a proud Scot and a student of history ... I hate this movie. It is so historically incorrect in so many ways that it makes me sick. What I hate about it the most is that so many others likely think that it is historically correct.

I'm not going to go into everything but just let this one stick with you ... SCOTS DIDN'T WEAR KILTS IN WALLACE'S TIME!!!!!!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Braveheart-quotes-1.gif

As a proud Scot and a student of history ... I hate this movie. It is so historically incorrect in so many ways that it makes me sick. What I hate about it the most is that so many others likely think that it is historically correct.

I'm not going to go into everything but just let this one stick with you ... SCOTS DIDN'T WEAR KILTS IN WALLACE'S TIME!!!!!!
I understand your feelings.
I think thought the overall attention it brought to the character and more so the plight of the Scotts overshadows the clear historical inaccuracies.
For me it piqued my interest enough to actually research William Wallace and the actual events etc.

Reactions: ValdostaNole
I think thought the overall attention it brought to the character and more so the plight of the Scotts overshadows the clear historical inaccuracies.
For me it piqued my interest enough to actually research William Wallace and the actual events etc.

Good. I'm glad that you read up on Scotland and it's history.

But would you not have been interested had they kept more to this historical record?

How about have the Battle of Stirling Bridge include a bridge?!?!?!?!?! Wallace won because he divided the English forces as they were crossing the bridge!!!

Why are they wearing kilts? Scots didn't start wearing kilts until the 1700s.

What's up with the love interest in the French princess? She was a baby duruing Wallace's time.

I could go on and on and get into the actual political situation and such and get into what was actually going on with Robert the Bruce and all ... but we don't need to do that. The movie made a joke of actual history. And it didn't have to do so.

The writer/producer stated ... "never let history get in the way of a good story". Ugh.

But would you not have been interested had they kept more to this historical record?

How about have the Battle of Stirling Bridge include a bridge?!?!?!?!?! Wallace won because he divided the English forces as they were crossing the bridge!!!

What's up with the love interest in the French princess? She was a baby duruing Wallace's time.

I could go on and on and get into the actual political situation and such and get into what was actually going on with Robert the Bruce and all ... but we don't need to do that. The movie made a joke of actual history. And it didn't have to do so.

The writer/producer stated ... "never let history get in the way of a good story". Ugh.
Again I understand.
Think about the Titanic movie....a completely made up love story intermingled into a historic event...yet it too brought huge interest into that event.

I guess I can accept something good coming from these inaccurate films.

Reactions: bigmamanole

Ummmmmm....its a movie not a documentary......settle down there Scotty.....and have a bit of Glenmorangie if your of age.

If you have time/didn't mind, could you tell me the events that actually happened? It's been quite a while since I learned about it.. and I guess I'm kinda lazy, so I didn't look it up.

I show it every year in my European History class to teach about Scotland's Wars of Independence. Much better than having the kids read a book - the movie captures their attention like no other.

I was interested in that period for awhile as my umpteenth great grandfather was a Norman noble over Berwickshire and was selected to be the arbitrator of succession during the Great Cause when Edward I was not physically present. So while I suppose it was Edward I who chose the Baliol my umpteenth great grandfather did play a big part in that process as he was relatively neutral compared to the Scottish nobles being a Lord on the border of Scotland that was formerly part of Scotland.

I show it every year in my European History class to teach about Scotland's Wars of Independence. Much better than having the kids read a book - the movie captures their attention like no other.

Flesh and Blood is a better depiction of European warfare...and the many sex scenes would catch their attention.

;)

They didn't speak Australian scotch English, either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT