ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Bullet points, video: Brian Pensky previews start of preseason practice, discusses 2024 team

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
The preseason for soccer is very short. FSU opens practice Wednesday, plays an exhibition against TCU on Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. in Tallahassee. There will not be any TV or a streaming broadcast for the FSU-TCU match.

FSU's season begins Aug. 15 at South Florida with a home opener Aug. 18 against North Florida.

"I don’t know whether it is or not, but I’d be shocked if there’s a shorter preseason for a college sport – 16 days of practice," FSU coach Brian Pensky said. "The days of two a days are over. It’s about protecting them. Protecting them physically, protecting them mentally so they can go be great when they need to be great."

He's talked with the freshmen about having a sense of urgency as this team won't have as many seniors as in 2023.

"I think the biggest difference is just the collection of older players. We started 10 seniors and fifth years last year. You can’t put a price on maturity, experience, all of that. That’s what that team had. And it had talent and it had determination. ... I think we have a pretty mature team. They’re just younger than last year’s team."

As a result of Seminoles playing games overseas for their national teams, FSU could be pretty thin for a stretch of 3-6 weeks that would likely start in the middle of August.

More from Pensky in the video below:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT