ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Newton

goodnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2002
I'm not sure that I know what to make of Cam Newton. The guy is a great talent , there is no denying that.
What I have yet to decide is his penchant for excessive celebrations after each first down , each touchdown , and each win.

I wonder if , "Act like you've been there before" ever occurred to him?

It seems to be working for him. He is about to become the MVP.

Reactions: hpnole
I can't stand Cam but it has nothing to do with his celebrations.
Honestly, I wish more people in the NFL were out there having fun, though to be fair both TO and Chad Ochocinco were far more adept at creative celebrations than Cam is.

I dislike him because he made a mockery of the college game by getting paid and getting away with it - along with the fact that he's an sec player, makes it tough to root for him. But I will because I dislike Manning (both of them) even more.

Reactions: llnole
Only problem I have with Cam is the serious issue of being a gata.

Once I actually look past that serious character flaw, I think it's pretty cool how he gives kids touchdown balls. Talk about a dream come true for young fans.

The nfl and American should allow for more celebrations. Football is a game of broken bones, torn ligaments, and concussions....but don't dance for 5 seconds. That's poor sportsmanship. It's ridiculous.

I've never liked Cam Newton. Stealing a laptop. Getting kicked out of urban Meyers crime infested program. His preacher dad shopping him to the sec for 200k. Auburn getting away with it. His whole college career was kinda vile which makes it hard for me to like him.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I can see the celebration after a touchdown but after each first down is excessive.

It's the combination of gate/awbern/$EC, thief and dishonesty in college that bugs me about him.

To be fair he seems to have stayed out of trouble since college and the gift of a football to a child-well that's hard not to like, regardless of his motives.

I don't really care for him but not because of his celebrations. I'm surprised how well he's done in the NFL because most spread/ read option QBs don't read defenses as well as he does or pick up the pro game as well as he has. I applaud him for that and don't begrudge his celebrations because to me he just seems to be expressing his love and passion for the game. I don't think he is showing anybody up. What I never liked was he and his family bidding out his services and getting away with it due to the cozy business arrangement between TV, the $EC, NCAA and the watchdog media who just turned their heads to protect their investments. He got away with cheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Psherm
I don't really care for him but not because of his celebrations. I'm surprised how well he's done in the NFL because most spread/ read option QBs don't read defenses as well as he does or pick up the pro game as well as he has. I applaud him for that and don't begrudge his celebrations because to me he just seems to be expressing his love and passion for the game. I don't think he is showing anybody up. What I never liked was he and his family bidding out his services and getting away with it due to the cozy business arrangement between TV, the $EC, NCAA and the watchdog media who just turned their heads to protect their investments. He got away with cheating.
To be fair, and this is partly me playing devils advocate as I reflect on my own thoughts/dislike for Cam...

Given your qualm with Cam (which is similar to mine - cheating), should our beef / gripe be with the corporate suits and cronyism that allowed the perpetrators of the act (the admin, coaches, bagmen, boosters, etc...) to get away with cheating? Not saying Cam and his fam were innocent in it, but I've realized maybe I played way too much blame on him, a college kid, and not nearly enough on the adults wearing suits, collecting state paychecks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CJRN
Poster above mentioned his class. You mean like not shaking Matt Ryan's hand after the Falcons ended their dream of an undefeated season? Or like when his team was up by a ton and went for 2 to rub their noses in it yesterday? Yeah. Class. Low class.

There are an abundance of reasons to dislike Newton.

*He started out playing for the goiters.
*He had enough indiscretions to get kicked off of a stunningly corrupt team at uf, where they turned a blind eye towards virtually everything.
*There's very strong reason to believe that his family received significant payola in choosing where he'd go to school after his JUCO stint

In my case, I dislike him for the above reasons. Add to that the fact that he's the QB for a division rival of the NFL team that I like, and it's quite easy to hate him.

Of course, if the Bucs had been the team who'd drafted Newton when he came out of college, I'd quite likely be a big fan of his. It appears that my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Last edited:
Poster above mentioned his class. You mean like not shaking Matt Ryan's hand after the Falcons ended their dream of an undefeated season? Or like when his team was up by a ton and went for 2 to rub their noses in it yesterday? Yeah. Class. Low class.
Not sure abt the first bc I hadn't heard about it till now. So I'll withhold judgement.

As for #2, isn't it the coach that makes that decision? Your comment should be directed at him. Frankly I didn't think much of it either way. I'm a proponent of running up the score.

We are far too easily offended by when a hand goes unshaken or a batter stares down a pitcher. Like these are grown men, I could careless and if nothing else it adds to the theatrics of the GAME.

Reactions: Psherm
This, have a friend whose kid went to Westlake High, apparently he was a prima donna before leaving high school. Sadly, the idolatry we have for football creates some of these players, let's face it, they all have big heads, you would too if you had smoke blown up your ass most of your iconic life. Some players can keep it below the surface in a tactful way, others can't.

To be fair, and this is partly me playing devils advocate as I reflect on my own thoughts/dislike for Cam...

Given your qualm with Cam (which is similar to mine - cheating), should our beef / gripe be with the corporate suits and cronyism that allowed the perpetrators of the act (the admin, coaches, bagmen, boosters, etc...) to get away with cheating? Not saying Cam and his fam were innocent in it, but I've realized maybe I played way too much blame on him, a college kid, and not nearly enough on the adults wearing suits, collecting state paychecks.
You are absolutely right about the suits and adults, they are to blame for allowing, he'll even encouraging him to get away with it. Still, his father and he at around 21 years of age should have known what they were doing is wrong. Granted, if you don't lock your house you are somewhat to blame if it gets robbed but those taking your furniture are the ones that are supposed to go to jail.

Let the man live. He's not taunting or demoralizing, or inciting violence. He has a smile on his face and competes with class. Let him do his thing.

First time I've ever seen someone say Newton has class. He is the polar opposite of having class.

It's just a game

You all are giving Urban Meyer and the Gators way, way, way too much credit.

Cam was never dismissed from UF. He was suspended for the 2009 season, coincidentally Tebow's senior season. Urban had every intention of starting him in 2010.

Can said screw this and transferred. Played at JUCO in 2009. Played at Auburn in 2010, after receiving a huge payment from Auburn boosters, allegedly of course.

I want to like him, I really do. Seems like a solid guy off the field, now at least. Does a lot for the kids. He's good...

but the constant showboating and celebrating is almost robotic. He does that crap when they're losing. If you want to celebrate after a TD, okay, but that stupid little first down thing? Act like you've been there, especially when you get a 3 yard gain after the pocket collapses or something.

Just compare him to Jameis. Hands the ball to the ref. High fives and hugs teammates.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just a Panther hater and if he played for the Bucs I'd be singing a different tune, but he doesn't, so I will hate on.

Reactions: seminoleed
Just watched an interview of Cam and he came across pretty well. Peyton Manning was quoted as saying that he plays the game with a smile on his face and has fun with it. I'm OK with that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT