ADVERTISEMENT

Car question for the LR

Funk#49

Starter
Nov 25, 2008
My wife and I went to Tennessee over the weekend and I had to get back to Lexington before 7:00 pm last night for a meeting ,so I had to haul ass after getting stuck in road construction.

I averaged around 80 mph on I-40 and I-75. At times, I was driving over 90 and just under 100 mph. There's quite a few large mountains to get through 75 N through Tennessee near the Kentucky border. Almost straight up hills at times.

Here's what happened........once in Kentucky, I noticed in the rear view mirror that when I punched the accelerator, a small cloud of smoke seemed to come from the exhaust. The engine never overheated. I didn't smell anything "hot", or "sweet" like it was coolant; I didn't have smoke coming from under the hood once I stopped; I didn't notice the small burst of smoke when not pushing down to quickly accelerate past someone. The smoke was gray/white. It definitely was not under performing or running rough, nor did it make any odd pings/noises.

Total drive time of driving that fast, and up mountains, was around 3 hours. The car was driven pretty hard. Once we got home, the car wasn't hot at all. I changed quickly and got to my meeting and had no issues with the vehicle and didn't notice the smoke clouds again even though I purposely tried to recreate it.

Was this smoke simply from carbon deposits being burnt off while driving that hard?

the grade around Jellico is relatively steep so you are taxing your engine, especially at already high rpms.

guessing its oil you were burning.

btw, that area is notorious for speed traps so you were lucky to not get a ticket going over 80.

If it was cold with a high dew point maybe a reaction to the superheated exhaust. Might also be a leaky head gasket if it was white smoke{coolant}, blue smoke is usually oil.

Check oil. Not only to see if you burnt any, but also to see if it just looks like dirty oil on the dipstick, and not a mixture. If coolant has gotten into your oil, it will look like chocolate milk kinda. Also, you can have a mechanic test your radiator for exhaust gases.

It would concern me too. Might just be worn rings. Any residue around your tailpipe (your car's that is).

The old Police Interceptor Crown Vics will do that...

So I when I got home last night after work, I smelled oil burning. I had my oil changed last Wednesday before our trip.

I called my mechanic and explained what was going on and also told him about the oil change. He said he'd start there and that they may have left something loose. I pop the hood and sure enough, Larry, Darryl, and Darryl didn't put the dipstick back in the hole. They had wedged it next to where the dipstick should have gone.

I took it to a different Instant Valvoline Oil Change and had them check everything. They ended up adding three quarts of oil. The oil had been coming out onto the engine block because it wasn't plugged with the dipstick and every time I was accelerating, it was burning off and giving the smoke I was seeing.

I'm also taking it by the mechanic this afternoon to get it looked at and to make sure nothing was damaged. I really don't think it was but I'm just making sure.

You took your car to a Jiffy Lube type place and didn't check the level before you left? Tisk tisk. Not sure if running three quarts low would hurt anything or not though...

You took your car to a Jiffy Lube type place and didn't check the level before you left? Tisk tisk. Not sure if running three quarts low would hurt anything or not though...
Probably not under normal conditions, but at 100mph it very well could.

Before leaving a trip, I always check my oil, water, tire pressure, etc.
I do my own oil changes and most minor repairs, but it never hurts to check
on a regular basis.

Reactions: cmanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT