ADVERTISEMENT

EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoleWhereMan

Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
We have looked at several things recently and we have found over 80% of all the complaints and warnings for insulting other posters or inappropriate content are political or have political innuendos. Going forward to eliminate those issues, we are enacting a zero-tolerance policy for political posts or any posts with political undertones.

Any post that is political or has any political inferences or even mentions a political figure, party or policy will be deleted. If necessary, this may include the deletion of an entire thread. Any poster who repeatedly violates this policy will be issued a warning.

If you cannot find a post you made there is no reason to ask why, and please do not use the message boards to voice any questions about a post or this policy.

We invite and encourage open conversations, however in our society today it is impossible to have civil conversations that have political inference. We want everyone to have a pleasant experience here and we hope eliminating these posts will create a friendlier and less hostile environments.

We have looked at several things recently and we have found over 80% of all the complaints and warnings for insulting other posters or inappropriate content are political or have political innuendos. Going forward to eliminate those issues, we are enacting a zero-tolerance policy for political posts or any posts with political undertones.

Any post that is political or has any political inferences or even mentions a political figure, party or policy will be deleted. If necessary, this may include the deletion of an entire thread. Any poster who repeatedly violates this policy will be issued a warning.

If you cannot find a post you made there is no reason to ask why, and please do not use the message boards to voice any questions about a post or this policy.

We invite and encourage open conversations, however in our society today it is impossible to have civil conversations that have political inference. We want everyone to have a pleasant experience here and we hope eliminating these posts will create a friendlier and less hostile environments.

Then let’s just do away with the forum Everytbing But Sports

We should be able to discuss current events. And sometimes politics comes into play.

I agree keeping the insults down but it is a message board.. this isn’t real life and it’s not that serious.

But do what you want. Just my .02

Then let’s just do away with the forum Everytbing But Sports

We should be able to discuss current events. And sometimes politics comes into play.

I agree keeping the insults down but it is a message board.. this isn’t real life and it’s not that serious.

But do what you want. Just my .02

We have all heard the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We know, with 100% certainty that when politics are introduced into a conversation, there are going to be insults and the threads are going to go south quickly.

We are not going to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", many people here enjoy having a forum and the opportunity to discuss topics other than sports and many of those same people do not want politics to spoil otherwise healthy conversations. (I get the reports and DMs to prove it)

It should not be a big change; we have always had a limitation on political discussions. The description for the forum is, "Movies, music, television or anything not related to sports or politics is fair game here."
That has been there since the forum's inception.

We have all heard the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We know, with 100% certainty that when politics are introduced into a conversation, there are going to be insults and the threads are going to go south quickly.

We are not going to "throw the baby out with the bathwater", many people here enjoy having a forum and the opportunity to discuss topics other than sports and many of those same people do not want politics to spoil otherwise healthy conversations. (I get the reports and DMs to prove it)

It should not be a big change; we have always had a limitation on political discussions. The description for the forum is, "Movies, music, television or anything not related to sports or politics is fair game here."
That has been there since the forum's inception.
As Deion would say, you "have the receipts"? 😄

Nor am I; you could see it coming a long time ago. Too many people here who also frequent the Iowa board think that's how it is every where.

Reactions: F4Gary
I wish you the best in your "zero-tolerance policy for political posts or any posts with political undertones," and any with "political inferences." Would you like me to help you identify all the posts with "undertones" and "inferences?" There will be a lot of them, despite the policy.

Oh, look! There's one right under my post: "Why do so many corporate leaders accept the false premises of global warming castostrophism?" It's been posted for over a month (Aug 19), has 957 views, and 58 replies! Despite the "zero-tolerance" policy.

Mind you, I have no trouble with the post I cited. I think it's perfectly appropriate. I hope you leave it up. You should leave it up.

Just sayin'.

The policy was enacted September 10, I am not going to go back and retroactively delete posts or warn posters. In the thread you mention, there have been no posts since August 30. Going forward the policy has been posted and will be enforced if necessary.

I will say I am very glad to see that no posts have been made that challenge the policy, for that I thank all of the posters here and especially DFS for being a steady hand here.

The policy was enacted September 10, I am not going to go back and retroactively delete posts or warn posters. In the thread you mention, there have been no posts since August 30. Going forward the policy has been posted and will be enforced if necessary.

I will say I am very glad to see that no posts have been made that challenge the policy, for that I thank all of the posters here and especially DFS for being a steady hand here.
I think you confused me when you posted this:
It should not be a big change; we have always had a limitation on political discussions. The description for the forum is, "Movies, music, television or anything not related to sports or politics is fair game here." That has been there since the forum's inception.

As noted, I don't think you should delete past posts. I favor free speech on most forums unless people are being insulted personally for their beliefs or opinions.

The very first response to your thread was someone who disagreed with the policy. I also disagree. Like Ohio1Nole, I agree you can "do what you want." Website owners always "do what they want." How could it be any different? They run the site.

I think you confused me when you posted this:
It should not be a big change; we have always had a limitation on political discussions. The description for the forum is, "Movies, music, television or anything not related to sports or politics is fair game here." That has been there since the forum's inception.

As noted, I don't think you should delete past posts. I favor free speech on most forums unless people are being insulted personally for their beliefs or opinions.

The very first response to your thread was someone who disagreed with the policy. I also disagree. Like Ohio1Nole, I agree you can "do what you want." Website owners always "do what they want." How could it be any different? They run the site.

The "owner" of this site is 100% behind this decision. Jerry and I met when he took over this site and we discussed which forums we would keep and which ones we would close. I have always thought there was a need for posters to have a place to discuss issues outside of FSU Sports, hence the birth of EBS. We also decided on one main "rule" that we would use to dictate how this site was operated. We wanted to create a site with a community atmosphere, where respect and civility would form the foundation. Acting civil and respectful should not be a challenge. Regardless acting civil and respectful are mandatory conditions for anyone who uses this site.

As you stated, "I favor free speech on most forums unless people are being insulted personally for their beliefs or opinions." The incredible number of insults and personal attacks were the reason for the zero tolerance policy. We originally permitted a modicum of political posts, and after one year we concluded it was impossible to allow political posts and remain loyal to our prime directive of civility, respect and community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT