ADVERTISEMENT

Evolution of Craft Beer

Grapefruit Sculpin from Ballast Point is money.

Maybe my taste buds are damaged from too many IPAs and Porters but the Grapefruit taste in the Sculpin didn't last all the way through the beer to me (and I had 2). It is good though.

Reactions: CJRN
Been seeing this the last few years across the northeast as that crappy bitter ipa trend is moving out, minus a few places. So glad micros are embracing the seasonals and higher alcohol belgians now. Next few years will be much higher quality than what US has produced to date. Great time to love micros

I've been craft brewing on and off (currently off and on to other hobbies) for 20+ years and I've always hated super hoppy aka bitter brews. What drew me in were Sours, Belgian abbey styles, various fruit beers, farmhouses, porters, stouts, etc... There's only two General kinds of beers I do not like, those that are superhoppy like most of the craft competition IPAs and those that are super sweet and/or malty like barleywines. Other than that, I'm happy with any style as long as it's done well (even real pilsners and American corn, rice, and/or wheat adjunct lagers masquerading as pilsners).

There was another article in Food & Wine that referenced a scientific journal article about the genetic history of lager yeast. It appears that lager yeast was developed through hybridization and there were two significant leaps/mutations that created the modern lager yeast -- which uses cooler fermentation temps than ale yeast. The article suggested that--with lager yeast only being 500 years old--there still be a lot more evolution to it and the taste it imparts.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Kathy-Ireland-homebrewer.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
As a craft beer fan, home brewer and future commercial brewer, I'm glad there's more variety in the craft beer world.

IPAs are still king, commanding 25% of the market. They started as craft beer's way of rebelling against the fizzy pale lagers and swung far to the other side. Thankfully they're more balanced now with less bitter but still full flavor.

The new big thing in craft beer (other than limited release stouts) are sour beers. Think tart wines

Yep, sours, ciders, goses, and barleywines seem to be the rage right now.

Ciders done right can have just as much variety as beers and wines and don't have to be alcoholic "Apple juice". One of the best was a rare bottled only for the local market Woodchuck (yes I know, big producer so Boo) where they left the granny smith and Braeburn juice on Pinot noir grape skins and it turned into something that tasted like fresh amazing strawberry juice even though there were no strawberries in it (and yeah, you can't get it here in the US but the pink pinots from Central Otago taste very similar...like perfect strawberry wine that is MUCH better than the "wine" made from real strawberries or strawberry infused White wines.)

My favorite style inThe Summer are Berliner Weisses which are a Florida Brewers Invention...they are low alcohol and very refreshing...had one last week at 7th Sun that had Quince and Passion Fruit....the guy at Cycle Brewing in St Pete does some amazing ones as well...never seen a Berliner Weiss canned or bottled yet so you have to be at a Brewery to get one.....another low alcohol style that good brewers are starting to brew is a salty/tart German Beer called a Gose....Westbrook and Rapp have the best "Base" ones and now some are starting to add Fruit to them as well...Anderson Valley did an excellent one with Blood Orange and the guys at Proof just recently did outstanding Raspberry One and an even better Blackberry One

My favorite style inThe Summer are Berliner Weisses which are a Florida Brewers Invention...they are low alcohol and very refreshing...had one last week at 7th Sun that had Quince and Passion Fruit....the guy at Cycle Brewing in St Pete does some amazing ones as well...never seen a Berliner Weiss canned or bottled yet so you have to be at a Brewery to get one.....another low alcohol style that good brewers are starting to brew is a salty/tart German Beer called a Gose....Westbrook and Rapp have the best "Base" ones and now some are starting to add Fruit to them as well...Anderson Valley did an excellent one with Blood Orange and the guys at Proof just recently did outstanding Raspberry One and an even better Blackberry One

There are lots and lots of canned or bottled Berliner Weiss offerings. The best I've come across is Athena from Creature Comforts.

There are lots and lots of canned or bottled Berliner Weiss offerings. The best I've come across is Athena from Creature Comforts.

Have heard great things about The Brewery but unfortunately they don't distribute in Florida yet...I keep hearing everyone raving about one of their IPA'S whose name currently escapes me...planning on going to The Brewery The Thursday before we play GT to try a bunch of their beer

IPA's are the best.

Having said that, Shiner makes a great Ruby Red Grapefruit beer. It's not that fruity. They also make a Prickly Pear which is another refreshing summer beer.

But the ales are the best.

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
I love the variety of beer and flavor that is coming out of all the choices that are coming to market. A great day is tasting a bunch of beers I don't like.

Have heard great things about The Brewery but unfortunately they don't distribute in Florida yet...I keep hearing everyone raving about one of their IPA'S whose name currently escapes me...planning on going to The Brewery The Thursday before we play GT to try a bunch of their beer

It's called Tropicalia and it's a pretty good beer.

Any beer with a fruit flavor is not beer...It's Zima.

For the most part, I'm not a fan of the fruity beers either. However, a couple of months ago I had Dunedin Brewery's Apricot Peach Ale, and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It's not easy to find (their distribution is very limited, despite being one of Florida's oldest microbrewers).

For the most part, I'm not a fan of the fruity beers either. However, a couple of months ago I had Dunedin Brewery's Apricot Peach Ale, and thought it was absolutely fantastic. It's not easy to find (their distribution is very limited, despite being one of Florida's oldest microbrewers).

My favorite beer ever was the Apricot Ale by Melbourne Bros. They sold their rights to Sam Smith, and their version is pretty good, but not on the same scale as the original, IMHO. Plus the Apricot version apparently is hard to find in Florida now (they have cherry and raspberry, too).

My buddy just picked me up 9 (some of it's going to friends) four packs of white oak jai alai. Bring it up from Tampa in the next couple weeks... can't wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT