ADVERTISEMENT

Finally watched the game. Wow!!

FSUDrew8688

Star Player
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2020
Saturday I was away at a youth retreat and had no access to TV. So I did the next best thing and listened on my headphones to Gene Deckerhoff call the game. I tried to imagine how we looked as the game went on, including during Miami's 28-3 run, and of course that amazing final drive.

Now that I've watched it on TV, I am really impressed with the team and coaching on Saturday. We looked even better than what I had pictured in my mind. We looked prepared, fired up but under control. It was also clear the crowd played a big part in our early momentum and getting in Miami's heads.

I saw very few busts on defense, and much improved tackling (other than Brownlee's embarrassing bounce off Knighton) The scheme and execution on defense seemed efficient and well put together. Guys were playing excellent assignment defense, and really played together as a cohesive unit. Our DBs had their best game by far, pash rush was constant, our LBs were in the right places, and Jermaine Johnson just made himself some big time money.

Offensively, it obviously begins and ends with JT. What an incredible game he played. I've never seen him that poised and focused. He clearly had a lot of trust in the OL. Our RBs all contributed in significant ways. Ja'khai Douglas was a delightful surprise. Only a couple drops or bad routes by the receivers (yes, I'm looking at you, Andrew Parchment, but all is forgiven). Very few unforced penalties.

I also thought this was our special teams' best game. Nothing spectacular, but very solid. It was nice not to have the game come down to a final kick. Kudos to Fitzgerald and Mastramano for great kicking. Also glad to see we made decision to not return kickoffs.

I was also surprised at how lucky Miami was during their 2nd half run. It really sounded like they were kicking out butt, but then I saw the dropped QB/RB exchange deep in our own territory, running (pushed) into Miami's kicker after he missed a FG attempt to keep their drive alive, and that ridiculous ricochet touchdown pass. Take away any one of those three and we win without final drama. Take away all 3 and we win convincingly.

Bottom line for me, we looked like a mature, well coached, hungry football team out there. It has been 5 years since I've felt that way watching a game (ND this year was close). To win at the expense of the canes, and watch this game become an instant classic in our series with scUM made is SO incredibly sweet!

Hats off to our players, coaches, and fans. THAT looked and sounded like FSU football! Go Noles!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News