ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Florida State loses a celebrity alum, fitness guru Richard Simmons

JerryKutz

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 3, 2022
Simmons passed away at home at the age of 76. The cause of death has not yet been released, if determined.

The New Orleans native transferred into FSU after attending the University of Louisianna. I have been unable to find the years he attended FSU but I assume he graduated in 1969 or 70 based on his age. If any of you know, please share.

He wrote the following about his time at FSU on his Facebook account.

Richard Simmons

Part 2
I liked USL. But, I wanted more. I called Uncle Milton and asked him to send me to a better college. We chose Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida.
Before you knew it, he sent me the money. What a massive campus! I decided to major in fashion illustration and graphic design.
I stayed in an experimental building called Cash Hall. Very appropriate. Two sides were for the men and the other two sides were for the women. There were separate elevators to take you to your floor.
One lady that I met was named Becky Slack. She became my best friend. I am still in contact with her with her and she has been a librarian for decades.
I went upstairs to my dorm room and said hello to my roommate then I went downstairs to have lunch. When I went back to my room, there was yellow caution tape across the door.
The policeman told me I could not go back in there. While at lunch, my roommate put a plastic bag over his head and put tape around his neck. He died.
I was so shaken, I asked to be moved to a different room. I had nightmares for weeks.
There was a lady who saved me. Her name was Gabrielle Dempsey. She was my art teacher and was married to a very smart man named Bruce.
Gabrielle told me that I had some talent and helped me put together a portfolio of my work. FSU had an exchange program. You could go to France, Germany, or Italy. I chose Italy.
The plane landed in Pisa. The Florence airport was not yet built. Then we took a bus to Florence. There were students from all over the country who stayed in an old mansion …Villa Fabbricotti.
There were about 30 of us. During meals, we had to speak Italian. You had to learn the language quickly or you would starve. What can I say about Florence, Italy…I sketched Michelangelo’s David.
I could not believe my eyes. There were so many piazzas. I would walk on the Pontiveccio…a bridge that was packed with shops. We only went to school 4 days a week and for the rest of the week we would hitchhike to different cities. Back then it was safe.
I hitchhiked with Mindy Goodfriend. She was almost six feet tall and had beautiful legs….and wore cut off jeans. We would walk to the Autostrada. We would put out our thumbs and I could not tell you how many cars stopped.
The drivers would all ask the same question, “Hai fame?” We would say yes. They would pull off to a restaurant and we would lunch on pizza and sandwiches. Then after our trips, we would return back to the Villa.
For an hour a day I sketched. I used a pen called a rapidograph. You would take it to the ink well and fill it up. Mine always got stuck and I would shake it.
One day when I was shaking it near my chest I stabbed myself. The other students heard me scream and came to my room. I still have the little red scar on my chest…
After my time was up, I went back to FSU. And with my portfolio in hand, I went back to New Orleans.
Love,
Richard

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News