ADVERTISEMENT

For Military "Brats"

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Friend of mine wrote this to WSJ editor. The original article was interesting. I moved around a bit as an "oil brat," but not nearly as much as my friends who had parents that worked for the embassy. None of the marines in Peru or Colombia had families.

11958328_10205769052758152_6539211978658926705_o.jpg

My old man was in the military from the time I was born until I was 14 or so. I think it's an accurate assessment...

My dad was in the military from the time I was born until I was about 15 or so. However, we didn't move with him. He was stationed in Norfolk and he would drive home to Jax every weekend. Other than that he was either out to sea or stationed in Jax. So I didn't move around and stayed in Jax the whole time.

Military brat here.
Thankful for getting to spend 3 years growing up in Germany and traveling Europe.
Also glad my dad got his final assignment at Eglin, AFB.
I think things went better than if I'd grown up my whole life in Missouri.

I thought being someplace for 3 years was pretty stable. I was usually ready for a new place/adventure after that. I wouldn't call it risky. Just more adaptable.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
Brat here, glad I grew up that way. Brothers and sister all turned out well. It can be tough on kids but it makes tough kids.

Brat here, glad I grew up that way. Brothers and sister all turned out well. It can be tough on kids but it makes tough kids.

I agree. I grew up an Army "brat" and find the experience taught me to be tough and adaptable. I hated leaving my friends and "home" every few years, but I learned how to deal with all different types of people from different backgrounds and places. I make friends and relate to people from different backgrounds much easier than most people do because I learned to out of necessity. That study seems to rephrase open-minded, adventurous and outgoing behavior as risky and aggressive. If my experience and actions are categorized as risky and aggressive, count me among those who think that is a positive.

Btw, my risky behavior led me to suicide apply to FSU without ever having visited, because I was up for an adventure and it felt right. Awesome decision on my part to take that risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: F4Gary
I was a military brat until I was almost 10. I never went to any school more than 2 years.

I've mostly been fairly cautious, but that's because I landed in a bad neighborhood when I was 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT