ADVERTISEMENT

FSU 57 SMU 68 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
FSU 57 SMU 68 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

I will make this brief. Because after this loss I am guessing not a lot of people want to read a lengthy diatribe on the travails of a team that is really struggling.

I did not get to see the game and could only follow along while playing the job via the game tracker feed and the box score. That was probably a good thing given how the team had difficulty scoring. I am not sure if I will get a chance to watch my recording of it. But if I do, I'll add to this list of observations.

Primo Spears finally played!!! 25 minutes on the floor. Took that fricking NCAA long enough to clear him. He scored 10 points tying Darin Green for the only two Seminoles in double digits.

Jalen Warley played just 15 minutes. Given his inability to score consistently that is probably a good thing no matter how well he distributes the ball. His lack of scoring just allows a defense to play off him and crowd other FSU scorers i.e. Darin. In this game, Warley contributed just two FTs and had no assists.

Hey!!! FT shooting was very good, 15-19 (79%).

The Bad

The 'Noles record now falls to 4-5 and is on a four game losing streak. Without Cam'Ron Fletcher and Cameron Corhen, the team's direction has taken a big downward turn.

Out rebounded again. By a wide margin 43-33. When comparing the two team's starters, SMU's starters demolished FSU's starters when it came to going after the ball, 29-13. Either there were a lot of lucky bounces of the ball or their players made going to the boards a priority. The Mustangs even had a reserve player pull down 10 rebounds. After Justin Gainey's 6 rebounds, no one of FSU's roster had more than four. And when you go 19-61 from the floor, there were obviously a lot of rebounds to be had.

The final score. It wasn't that close as FSU scored seven points in the last 90 seconds while SMU managed one last FT.

The Ugly

Those of you who saw the game know exactly what the ugliest aspect to this game was. Shooting or the lack thereof. The first half was as ugly as you will ever see. 22% from the floor and 8%, yes, 8% (1-13) from the three point line. Oh, it got a bit better in the second half but not enough to overtake the Mustangs. The Seminoles finished 31% from the floor and 18% from the arc (4-22).

Primo played. But his shooting? OMG!!!! 2 for 13. I hope that is rust. Darin Green was not much better going 4 for 11.

Those 57 points ..... that is the lowest output by the Seminole offense so far this season. The word I heard last week to describe the Mustang defense was "stingy" And they certainly lived up to that reputation.

The Mustangs FT shooting. It is not often you see a team connect on just 43% of their freebies. Shoot a decent percentage and this game was a total blowout.

Up Next

Dec 19th, Tuesday the Seminoles host North Florida at 8:00 PM and aired on the ACCN. The Ospreys (7-5 overall, 1-3 road) are on a three game winning streak. However, the two power five teams North Florida played (LSU, Iowa) were both losses. I just can't see FSU losing this game. The team would be in a real tailspin should they lose.

I hate to say this, but I'm reminded of an old saying about Bear Bryant: "He can take his'n and beat yours'n, or take yours'n and beat hiz'n".

There was a good stretch when that could have been said about Leonard as well, but his good times may have passed him by.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I hesitate to bring this up, but a reversal of direction is needed quickly. Rack a few more losses and you can forget about the NCAA.

• Haha
Reactions: NoleLizards
I hesitate to bring this up, but a reversal of direction is needed quickly. Rack a few more losses and you can forget about the NCAA.
True, but I have not seen anything to make me think this team gets anywhere close to the tourney. Not even sure we go .500.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT