FSU 58 Michigan 76 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002

The Good

FSU will at least get to raise a Sweet 16 banner in the DLTCC finishing with an 18-7 overall record, 15-1 at home, and next season looking to break Duke's record of consecutive home wins against conference opponents (26).

The play of Anthony Polite (9 pts) and Malik Osbourne (12 pts, all from behind the arc) who provided a small spark in the second period that helped FSU close an eleven point gap to 5 points, 41-36. Polite added a team high 3 steals and Osbourne had a team leading 6 rebounds.

Notable plays: Polite's hustle stealing a Michigan pass and tapping it to teammate before going OB just after RayQuan Evans had turned it over. It prevented a fast break by the Wolverines. Evans' coast to coast drive and the layup to close the score to 19-12.

MJ Walker once again going down with an injury but able to return thank goodness. He finished with 10 points.

The Bad

It was certainly not the ending FSU had hoped for. Despite Leonard Hamilton before the game saying his team looked locked in on defense and offense in practice, they looked anything but. Too many turnovers by FSU, too many fouls by the 'Noles, and too few baskets by the garnet and gold. A 10-0 run put UM up 19-9 and the Wolverines never looked back.

FSU's record vs UM coming into the game was 1-3. Make that now 1-4.

The 21 points FSU scored in the first half was the fewest the Seminoles scored this season.

Something about that building, Banker's Life Fieldhouse, did not sit well with FSU three point shooting. After going 0-9 versus Colorado, the Seminoles were 0-7 from deep at the break. They did finish 5-20 from the arc, but in no way could keep up with the torrid shooting of the Wolverines.

And speaking of torrid shooting, Florida State did pick it up offensively in the second period shooting 50%. Unfortunately Michigan could not miss in the second period shooting at one point 85% from the floor missing just four shots. Defensively the Seminoles could not stop UM as they dominated the paint 50-28. Nothing out there resembled the Junkyard Dog defense Hamilton expects from his team. Rotations were particularly slow.

As was mentioned earlier, turnovers. FSU had 5 in the first seven minutes and 10 by intermission (14 for the game). Every time the 'Noles would make a mini run, momentum was destroyed by yet another turnover. Michigan dominated in that area as well capitalizing off the Seminoles' mistakes with 24 points to just 6 for FSU. Of course when you turn the ball over just 9 times, you are not going to score a lot of points. And with that being a big part of FSU's game, offense off of defense, not a whole lot went the Seminoles' way in this game.

Whether he stays or goes pro, RaiQuan Gray is going have to learn one thing. When attempting to drive the ball in, quit pushing the defender off with your arm. He has been called for nearly every time he has done it this season.

The offense in the first half basically just stood around again showing they were definitely not locked in. Did not help when you had plays such as Sardaar Calhoun coming down the floor, dribbling into the left corner, and then just jack up a three. He missed btw.

Walker getting called for a charge on a play that looked very similar to a blocking call on Balsa Koprivica in the first half. Not exactly consistent.

The Ugly

At least it didn't come down to the last eleven seconds this time ala 2018 as the game was already decided with 1:10 remaining and Michigan up by 23.

Scottie Barnes had three total turnovers. Not that bad except that two were just atrocious as he telegraphed his cross court pass that was easily picked off and taken the other way for a basket. The second, turnover, #5 btw, was a case of I don't what the thinking there was as it looked like he was trying to lead Wyatt Wilkes. Unfortunately Wilkes was completely stationary as the ball sailed well over his head and OB.

Tanor Ngom missing, no not missing, clanging an alley oop slam dunk off the rim.

"That's nine turnovers in our last two possessions." OK, we all know what was meant by that. But really, didn't it feel like nine turnovers in two possessions? It sure did to me.

Up Next

Next Season. Hopefully In November. Hopefully without limited crowds. Hopefully without masks. Hopefully with not a lot of departures. No idea who the next opponent will be.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005

The Good

FSU will at least get to raise a Sweet 16 banner in the DLTCC finishing with an 18-7 overall record, 15-1 at home, and next season looking to break Duke's record of consecutive home wins against conference opponents (26).

The play of Anthony Polite (9 pts) and Malik Osbourne (12 pts, all from behind the arc) who provided a small spark in the second period that helped FSU close an eleven point gap to 5 points, 41-36. Polite added a team high 3 steals and Osbourne had a team leading 6 rebounds.

Notable plays: Polite's hustle stealing a Michigan pass and tapping it to teammate before going OB just after RayQuan Evans had turned it over. It prevented a fast break by the Wolverines. Evans' coast to coast drive and the layup to close the score to 19-12.

MJ Walker once again going down with an injury but able to return thank goodness. He finished with 10 points.

The Bad

It was certainly not the ending FSU had hoped for. Despite Leonard Hamilton before the game saying his team looked locked in on defense and offense in practice, they looked anything but. Too many turnovers by FSU, too many fouls by the 'Noles, and too few baskets by the garnet and gold. A 10-0 run put UM up 19-9 and the Wolverines never looked back.

FSU's record vs UM coming into the game was 1-3. Make that now 1-4.

The 21 points FSU scored in the first half was the fewest the Seminoles scored this season.

Something about that building, Banker's Life Fieldhouse, did not sit well with FSU three point shooting. After going 0-9 versus Colorado, the Seminoles were 0-7 from deep at the break. They did finish 5-20 from the arc, but in no way could keep up with the torrid shooting of the Wolverines.

And speaking of torrid shooting, Florida State did pick it up offensively in the second period shooting 50%. Unfortunately Michigan could not miss in the second period shooting at one point 85% from the floor missing just four shots. Defensively the Seminoles could not stop UM as they dominated the paint 50-28. Nothing out there resembled the Junkyard Dog defense Hamilton expects from his team. Rotations were particularly slow.

As was mentioned earlier, turnovers. FSU had 5 in the first seven minutes and 10 by intermission (14 for the game). Every time the 'Noles would make a mini run, momentum was destroyed by yet another turnover. Michigan dominated in that area as well capitalizing off the Seminoles' mistakes with 24 points to just 6 for FSU. Of course when you turn the ball over just 9 times, you are not going to score a lot of points. And with that being a big part of FSU's game, offense off of defense, not a whole lot went the Seminoles' way in this game.

Whether he stays or goes pro, RaiQuan Gray is going have to learn one thing. When attempting to drive the ball in, quit pushing the defender off with your arm. He has been called for nearly every time he has done it this season.

The offense in the first half basically just stood around again showing they were definitely not locked in. Did not help when you had plays such as Sardaar Calhoun coming down the floor, dribbling into the left corner, and then just jack up a three. He missed btw.

Walker getting called for a charge on a play that looked very similar to a blocking call on Balsa Koprivica in the first half. Not exactly consistent.

The Ugly

At least it didn't come down to the last eleven seconds this time ala 2018 as the game was already decided with 1:10 remaining and Michigan up by 23.

Scottie Barnes had three total turnovers. Not that bad except that two were just atrocious as he telegraphed his cross court pass that was easily picked off and taken the other way for a basket. The second, turnover, #5 btw, was a case of I don't what the thinking there was as it looked like he was trying to lead Wyatt Wilkes. Unfortunately Wilkes was completely stationary as the ball sailed well over his head and OB.

Tanor Ngom missing, no not missing, clanging an alley oop slam dunk off the rim.

"That's nine turnovers in our last two possessions." OK, we all know what was meant by that. But really, didn't it feel like nine turnovers in two possessions? It sure did to me.

Up Next

Next Season. Hopefully In November. Hopefully without limited crowds. Hopefully without masks. Hopefully with not a lot of departures. No idea who the next opponent will be.
Thanks as always for good stuff BFT. BTW, how frustrated is Mrs. BFT after this game.?
This team doesn’t just lose, they lose big...

Bill From Tampa

Veteran Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
Thanks as always for good stuff BFT. BTW, how frustrated is Mrs. BFT after this game.?
This team doesn’t just lose, they lose big...

She handled it well. Especially since she had a show to play right after the game. So that took her mind off of it.

Thanks everyone for reading the GBU.

62Nole

Seminole Insider
I realize it had no effect on the game score, but was I the only one that saw the CBS announcing crew waving maize pom-poms?
I don't understand how we could smother and shut down some teams with our defense one game and give up 50 paint points last night.
Bill, thanks for the terrific "reports" all season. And pass along our thanks to Mrs. BFT ( the brain in your organization).

NoleLizards

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 23, 2004
I don't understand how we could smother and shut down some teams with our defense one game and give up 50 paint points last night.

That's the problem with having a team that's inefficient offensively and therefore has to try to make up for it oftentimes with running bodies out and playing aggressive (A.K.A. "junkyard") defense. This strategy only works if both 1) you enjoy a clear athletic advantage over your opponent, and 2) if the officials don't overly penalize you for resorting to such a style.

Alas, neither 1 nor 2 applied yesterday.

Reactions: KDSTONE

KDSTONE

Freshman
Oct 15, 2004
Bill thank you for your posts this and previous seasons, they are a big hit and much anticipated.

It was difficult to watch this game, just like the UNC, ND, GT and many other games this year. When I play golf I often say I do not mind hitting a bad shot, but I hate hitting a stupid shot. This team lost several games this year literally handing the games to their opponents. Forcing the ball into the middle, bounce passes under the rim, one on one dribble exhibitions that end up horribly wrong, and too many other examples of what I call stupid basketball. Going cold and missing three point shots is going to happen, but the massive turnovers are inexcusable.
We return and add a lot of talent next year and I hope players like RaiQuan Grey realize they are not NBA or even European League caliber players. Hamilton has created a nice system here and many of these players who flourish within it are not suited to take their games elsewhere.
For many years I watched the football team shoot themselves in the foot, with NC caliber teams until they learned how to win a NC. I think our BB program is very close to learning how to play like a NC caliber team.
Poor coaching. You could go down to your local Rec center and see better offense. Even the announcers were perplexed. Hamilton good at recruiting building a culture but tonight was embarrassing. Corey Clark oh so quick to come in and say we lost to a better team. Really other than Wagner I think FSU had more talent

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Maybe one day we will find out what happened to this team after they demolished UVA. That team that played that game would or could have been Final Four. Don't know if it was the BB gods upset at FSU or lack of focus or what but that was the last game FSU played well against an average or better opponent. Lets just hope the ACC in the wisdom does not have FSU open the ACC at home against Duke in Dec 2021.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Maybe one day we will find out what happened to this team after they demolished UVA. That team that played that game would or could have been Final Four. Don't know if it was the BB gods upset at FSU or lack of focus or what but that was the last game FSU played well against an average or better opponent. Lets just hope the ACC in the wisdom does not have FSU open the ACC at home against Duke in Dec 2021.

They just seemed to wither after the second Covid break and the injuries started to pile up. But listen to us whine about a sweet 16 appearance from a rebuilding team!

Reactions: Seaker42