ADVERTISEMENT

Golf FSU men's golf falls 3-2 to Auburn in NCAA Championship Final

CurtWeiler

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
From FSU Sports Information:

No. 5 National Seed Florida State Men’s Golf fell to Auburn in Wednesday’s NCAA Golf National Championship, 3-2, at the Omni La Costa North Course in Carlsbad, Calif.

The match was about as close as it gets, with each team securing two wins apiece before coming down to the anchor match. In the end, Auburn’s J.M. Butler was able to put away the Seminoles on the 17th hole to defeat FSU’s Luke Clanton, 2&1.

Despite the loss, the 2024 Seminoles made program history by becoming the first FSU squad to reach the National Championship Match. It also marked their first time reaching Match Play in consecutive years.

“I’m just gutted for them right now,” FSU Head Coach Trey Jones said to the GOLF Channel afterward. “I know runner-up in a National Championship is something we’ll look back on as a good season – this team never finished out of the Top 5 all year along – but we came here to win. It’s disappointing.”

Freshman Tyler Weaver went 3-0 in NCAA Championship Match Play, getting a 2&1 win over Josiah Gilbert on Wednesday to put FSU’s first point on the scoreboard and tie the match officially at 1-1. After sitting out all four stroke play rounds, the ACC Freshman of the Year subbed in and got three impressive match-play wins over North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Auburn. A par on the 17th hole gave Weaver the win.

Graduate golfer Cole Anderson won his last match by taking down Carson Bacha, 1UP, as Anderson had to hang on during the 18th hole. Anderson led Bacha 3UP through 15 holes, but the Auburn Tiger came back to win holes No. 16 and 17 before Anderson held off the rally on 18 with a beautiful chip shot right by the hole. A missed par putt by Bacha secured the win.

Anderson, Frederik Kjettrup, Brett Roberts and Gray Albright leave as one of the most decorated senior classes in program history. Anderson, Kjettrup and Roberts each made their fourth NCAA Championships appearance, while Albright enjoyed a historic season capped by an All-ACC Team selection.

Sophomore Luke Clanton recorded one of the best single seasons in program history, and figures to enter next year as one of the most accomplished returning players.

Clanton Named Division I PING First-Team All-American

During Wednesday’s National Championship, Clanton was announced as a Division I PING First-Team All-American in partnership with the GOLF Channel.

Clanton joins Wenyi Ding of Arizona State, Mats Ege of East Tennessee State, Nick Gabrelcik of North Florida, Ben James of Virginia, Jackson Koivun of Auburn, Christo Lamprecht of Georgia Tech, Gordon Sargent of Vanderbilt, 2024 NCAA Division I Individual Champion Hiroshi Tai of Georgia Tech, Michael Thorbjornsen of Stanford, and Brendan Valdes of Auburn.

The Hialeah, Fla., native has enjoyed one of the most decorated single seasons in FSU history, becoming the first Seminole ever to win three consecutive tournaments.

Attachments

• 1717014002799.png
    1717014002799.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News