ADVERTISEMENT

FSU softball adds four signees

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Florida State softball and coach Lonni Alameda announced the signing of four athletes on Wednesday as part of their 2024 signing class, adding Addie DeLong, JasmineFrancik, Shelby McKenzie and Isabella Ruggiero.

"We are very excited as a staff to add the players and families of Tribe '24. They are an all-in group that has already shown their commitment to being the best for this program. Jasmine will be an instant contributor in the circle, Addie will add speed and depth to the team and Bella and Shelby bring power to the lineup. We are very grateful for those that want to be a Seminole, and we know Tallahassee is a special place that will welcome these four with open arms," Coach Alameda said.

Addie DeLong | INF | Mechanicsburg, Ohio | Mechanicsburg High School
DeLong is a back-to-back league champion and district champion from 2021 and 2022. She also earned several honors in three straight seasons, named the OHC Player of the Year, First Team All-Conference, First Team All-District, First Team All-Ohio all from 2021-2023, and also earning 2023 District Player of the Year. In travel ball she won championships at the IDT Softball Tournament and Easton-Rawlings Invitational while finishing runner-up at the PGF Nationals. In addition to softball, she played high school basketball with two straight OHC league championships in 2022 and 2023 and was named First Team All-Conference in those same seasons while this past season saw her earn Second Team All-District and All-Ohio Special Mention. Like most Seminoles, DeLong brings a well-rounded background that will add to the Seminole family atmosphere. DeLong was a member of the National Honor Society and Vice President in her class with a 4.0 GPA and high honor roll. Addie showed sheep competitively and held the reserve grand champion natural lamb at the Ohio State Fair and plans to major in Health Sciences.

"We are honored Addie chose FSU. She is a great teammate, a respected competitor and the pride of her community. She is going to do great things on and off the field in the Garnet and Gold," Alameda said.

"Addie brings tremendous speed and athleticism to Tallahassee. An absolute terror on the bases, Florida State fans will enjoy watching her as she fits the mold of a Seminole softball player. She can short game and drive balls in the gaps, as well as run down balls in the outfield. Watching Addie play brought back memories for me of the great Morgan Klaevemann. Scoring runs on offense and saving runs on defense will be her specialty," Assistant Coach Travis Wilson said.

Jasmine Francik | P | Rockledge, Fla. | Melbourne High School
Francik was part of the 2022 Class 6A State Championship team and earned a mantle full of honors including the 2022 Gatorade Player of the Year, 2022 Florida Dairy Farmers Miss Softball, 2022 & 2023 MaxPreps First Team All-American, 2022 MaxPreps National Sophomore of the Year, and three-time Florida Today Softball Player of the Year. In her junior season, she threw eight no-hitters which led all of Florida and finished second in the nation with strikeouts at 411. Francik bleeds Garnet and Gold on the field but is very creative off the field as well. Francik was an Honor AP Scholar, a National Honor Society member, and finished first in Florida Future Problem-Solving Scenario Performance.

"Jasmine is a student of the game in the circle and has already proven her ability to grow through challenging herself in many areas of pitching. She is going to jump in as a newcomer and get after every opportunity to compete. She is a quiet competitor, and I know she will be an instant impact on the pitching staff once she sets foot on campus in August," Alameda said.

Shelby McKenzie | INF | Pace, Fla. | Pace High School
McKenzie was named the 2022 & 2023 PNJ Hitter of the Year and was MaxPreps ninth-ranked player in the nation while also being part of the FHSAA 6A All-State Team and a PGF All-American. She was named to the FHSAA All-Academic Team and holds a 4.3 GPA. Shelby comes from a long line of Division 1 talent. Her mother, Amy McKenzie, was a softball player at Alabama, her brother, Jackson McKenzie, currently plays baseball at Mississippi State, her uncles, Andy and Matt Bernard, also played collegiate baseball at Alabama, and her grandfather, Terry Bernard, was a baseball player at Miami.

"Shelby has been consistently committed to being the best on the team for her teammates and for herself. She is driven and enjoys the challenges that the game provides. She loves watching the game and learning from others that will continue to make her better once she gets to campus and takes advantage of all her opportunities as a Nole," Alameda said.

"Raised in a baseball and softball family, it is clear to see Shelby's passion and knowledge for the game of softball. A true slugger in every sense of the word, Shelby will be bringing a power bat to Joanne Graf Field. She has left-handed power and great strike zone awareness, a good combination to be a major contributor for the Noles' offense for 4 years," Wilson said.

Isabella Ruggiero | C | West Palm Beach, Fla. | Oxbridge Academy of the Palm Beaches
Ruggiero was named to the 3A All-State First Team her freshman season before going on to be part of the SunSentinel All-County First Team throughout her high school career while also earning two USA TodayHSSA Player of the Year nominations. She was also named to the 2023 Colorado Sparkler/Firework 18U All-Tournament Team and selected to the 2024 Alliance All-Star Watchlist. Off the field, Ruggiero brings a bright personality as well as some great academic success. She was a member of the National Honor Society and the Science National Honor Society member and qualified for magna cum laude honors.

"Bella will swing the bat and anchor some time behind the plate, but her teammate-ability is second to none. She garners the characteristics that all great catchers have when it comes to the connection with her teammates and the ability to be one with her pitchers in the circle. That sense of selflessness is a big part of her success and is something we are very excited about coming to Tallahassee in 2024," Alameda said.

"Bella is a left-handed power hitter with the ability to hit to all fields. She has a future in the middle of the order for the Noles. She has developed behind the plate and will be a run producer for years to come in the Garnet and Gold. An infectious personality, coupled with a high softball IQ, leads me to believe Bella will be a leader for the Noles on and off the field," Wilson said.

It pretty difficult to find national team recruiting rankings for softball. I assume we landed an upper tier class, but how did we do comparatively to other schools?

Reactions: NoleLizards
Frankly I would not trade our top 2 for anyone else's top 2. The next two are very good too.
I was reading some of their accolades. . .they are certainly highly decorated. With Lonnie's ability to develop pitchers, I would imagine we would always have a good chance at landing the top pitcher in Florida every year. I love watching the softball teams ball.

I was reading some of their accolades. . .they are certainly highly decorated. With Lonnie's ability to develop pitchers, I would imagine we would always have a good chance at landing the top pitcher in Florida every year. I love watching the softball teams ball.
I think we could have had another one- but I was told we did not offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT