ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball FSU's Jamir Watkins to compete in Nike Basketball Academy

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State guard Jamir Watkins, one of the nation’s top players returning for the 2024-25 college basketball season, will participate in the 2024 Nike Basketball Academy at the Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., this week.

The four-day event brings together over 80 of the top college and high school prospects in the country and gives the players a memorable experience that features the appearances of notable coaches, professional players, and basketball legends.

“This is a great opportunity for me to continue growing into a complete basketball player,” said Watkins. “During the spring of 2024, I learned so much as I traveled to work out for five NBA teams during the draft process. I feel that participating in this camp will help me strengthen my learning curve and help me improve on the aspects of my game the NBA executives told me that I needed to work on.”

The academy began in 2015 and has grown each season since its inception 10 years ago.

Nike has invited 80 of the top players in the nation (high school and college players) to attend the Academy which is highlighted by instruction from current NBA and college players along with training and workout sessions. Former Seminole Baba Miller was among the participants in 2023.

Watkins was an All-ACC Honorable Mention selection as a junior during the 2023-24 season. He enters 24-25 season looking to build on a streak of 19 consecutive double-figure scoring games – a streak that began on January 19, 2024 against Wake Forest and continued throughout the remainder of the 2024 season. Watkins is the only player of six who ranked in the ACC’s top 20 for scoring and rebounding during the 2023-24 season who is returning to play in the ACC for the 2024-25 season. He is also the second leading returning ACC player for steals in the ACC for the 2024-25 season.

Watkins averaged a career-high 15.6 points (first on the team), a career-high 6.0 rebounds (first), 1.9 steals (first) and 2.8 assists (second) while playing in (and starting) all 33 games for the Seminoles during his redshirt junior season. He was the only player on the Seminoles’ roster who played in and started all 33 games for the Seminoles . He was named to the Oscar Robertson National Team of the Week by the USBWA (Nov. 28), named as the ACC Player of the Week (Co) with RJ Davis of North Carolina by the ACC Office (Nov. 27), and named the MVP of the 2023 Sunshine Slam.

Reactions: noleforever95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.