ADVERTISEMENT

Got diagnosed with Afib

TeacherNole

All-ACC
Sep 30, 2002
I had a routine Dr appt the other day (haven't had one in years), and after listening to my heart he asked if anyone ever td me that I had an irregular heartbeat. He hooked me up to an EKG, and sure enough the results came back that I have Afib. What's weird is that I have no symptoms - not dizzy, no shortness of breath, no pounding or racing heartbeat.

I got into a cardiologist on the same day and he confirmed the diagnosis. Now I'm on a beta blocker and blood thinner and have an echo, another EKG, stress test, and holter monitor scheduled all within the next 2 weeks.

Anyone ever have an experience with Afib before?

Yes, I've had A-fib about 10 years. Like you I have no symptoms I take warfarin, a generic of coumadin. I check my blood at home every 3 or 4 weeks to monitor dosage. No big deal. Arthritis is a much bigger nuisance to me.

Any time I have a surgery I have to get off the blood thinner for 5 days so it can thicken up. I'm sure they told you the blood has be be thin so it won't clot and cause a stroke. I'm thankful my Internist found it years ago in a routine check similar to yours. Best of luck Teach.

Reactions: TeacherNole
My mom was about 2 months ago. She's on a couple new Meds and so far so good.

Yes, I've had A-fib about 10 years. Like you I have no symptoms I take warfarin, a generic of coumadin. I check my blood at home every 3 or 4 weeks to monitor dosage. No big deal. Arthritis is a much bigger nuisance to me.

Any time I have a surgery I have to get off the blood thinner for 5 days so it can thicken up. I'm sure they told you the blood has be be thin so it won't clot and cause a stroke. I'm thankful my Internist found it years ago in a routine check similar to yours. Best of luck Teach.

Are there any complications (dietary or otherwise) with Warfarin? Also, are there physical limitations with what you can do with Afib? We were in the middle of some yard projects when this diagnosis happened, and now my wife doesn't want me to even mow the lawn (unless it's 1st thing in the am or later on in the day) let alone finish the yard projects.

Wife has been on Warfarin for several years now. The only real dietary restrictions are that you be consistent. Any high Vitamin K food will effect your INR. Its not that you can't eat those green leafy veggies, but do it with regularity. As for booze, same thing. You don't have to stop drinking, just be consistent with your intake. The routine tests will monitor your levels and they will adjust as needed. The biggest thing will be that you need to be honest about your diet with the regulators.

As for activity restrictions, IDK. My wife is taking it b/c she have aortic valve replacement. But we have a 5 y/o and 2 y/o, she teaches 1st grade, and she hasn't been held back by it.

Afib is an electrical issue and not something that should cause any problems with exercise or exertion. Alcohol can be a trigger so that is something you may want to watch. I was diagnosed with Afib in 1996 and spent three days in the Mayo Clinic. I was on Coumadin for six months and have not had another episode. I have not had any episode's since but I take 325mg of aspirin.

Vevois is right. The only thing that limits my physical activities like yard work is my arthritis. The leafy greens can affect INR numbers and I'm supposed to limit those high in iron. Red wine before dinner and Scotch Or Gentleman Jack after is routine for me. Thank goodness for that.

Afib is an electrical issue and not something that should cause any problems with exercise or exertion. Alcohol can be a trigger so that is something you may want to watch. I was diagnosed with Afib in 1996 and spent three days in the Mayo Clinic. I was on Coumadin for six months and have not had another episode. I have not had any episode's since but I take 325mg of aspirin.
So the blood thinners alone solved your afib? I'm being told that after the stress test the next step will be either a shock treatment if this is being caused by an electrical issue, or getting a heart cath if this is being caused by a blockage issue.

I thought I was being overly optimistic thinking that medication alone would solve this.

Some people are diagnosed with Afib and after a few months, they convert back to a regular rhythm on their own. It really does not happen that often, but it can. If your heart remains in sinus rhythm, you may be able to come off the blood thinners.

There are other procedures to attempt to convert you back into sinus rhythm. They can do an electro cardioversion, that is, they shock your heart (just like they do if your heart stops, just with a lower dose of electricity) in hopes it will convert. There are also medications they may try to get you back into a regular rhythm.

2 main things with Afib. First, you need your blood thin to prevent a clot from forming in your heart chambers and causing a stroke. Warfarin (coumadin) is the cheapest and most common drug used, but you must regulate your INR regularly. Like others have said, eat and drink like you normally do. It is much easier for me to regulate your INR when you are eating normal. What usually happens, people will be good with their diet for a week or so, then go back to their old habits. Once that happens, your INR will change and it can put you at risk. There are new medications that might be used such as Pradaxa, Xarallto or Eliquis. These are taken once or twice daily and you do not need your plasma levels checked.

The second issue is that your heart rate remains controlled. Rapid afib can cause all the symptoms discussed above--dizziness, shortness of breath, fatigue. Medications help control this such as digoxin and metoprolol or other beta blockers.

Atrial fibrillation should not keep you from doing normal activities. You will have to give up race car driving, like Brian Vickers, playing in the NBA like Chris Bosh, or juggling knives due to the bleeding risk. Basically anything that can increase your risk of trauma or bleeding. Just remember if you cut yourself, it will take longer for the bleeding to stop. If you can't stop the bleeding or see blood in your urine or stool, get to a health care provider!

So the blood thinners alone solved your afib? I'm being told that after the stress test the next step will be either a shock treatment if this is being caused by an electrical issue, or getting a heart cath if this is being caused by a blockage issue.

I thought I was being overly optimistic thinking that medication alone would solve this.

No. My heart went back to normal rhythm while I was in the hospital. I had many follows and EKG's, most recently on May 25th and my has not been out. I knew immediately I had an irregular heartbeat. The thumping felt like I pulled next to a car with a loud bass stereo and the music was vibrating through. I spent three days in Mayo as I was one of the youngest patients they had seen with AFib. At my age most would be in due to what they call the "party heart", too much drinking. At that time I hadn't had a drink in over three weeks, I had a normal thyroid and they were unable to find a cause.

Most people don't know they are out of rhythm and can die of a stroke and the AFib goes undetected. I am extremely conscious of my heart and rhythm.

What Nolefan wrote is very on point and one other possible option is ablation but that depends on whether your AFib is isolated to one area. The ablation which is done through a catheter and is minimally invasive.

Reactions: 62Nole
had afib along with blood clots in lungs (2nd episode). hospitalized for 5 days and now on coumadin and a beta blocker for rest of my life. also use a cpap which I did not wear for 5 days and doc thinks that triggered the last episode. am ok now but meds and cpap are a must in my life. bottom line is afib must be controlled because consequences can be serious.

What is 'INR?' I've seen that posted a few times, but I don't know what it is. Again, this is all very new to me.

from my medication reference:

"Due to variability of thromboplastin and analyzers, it has been difficult to establish agreeable prothrombin levels between laboratories. To arrive at a consensus on adequate coagulation, the International Normalized Ratio (INR) calculation was developed. This calculation helps to standardize PT values so that test results obtained using different thromboplastins and coagulation analyzers are equivalent."

So basically INR was developed to help standardize your lab results if you use multiple labs, hospitals, etc

It's a number that your prescriber will use a gauge as to how effective your current dose is - depending on your condition they will establish a goal range for your PT/INR score (usually 2.0 - 3.0)

I had a heart event in March, 2015 and had to have a pacemaker. I go into afib periodically, but without any symptoms. I take Eliquis. My hemoglobin was always around 14 and a month ago dropped to 9. I was put on iron pills and had a colonoscopy & endscopy with no evidence of bleeding; thus, the doctor thinks the bleeding is caused by the Eliquis. He reduced the dosage.

from my medication reference:

"Due to variability of thromboplastin and analyzers, it has been difficult to establish agreeable prothrombin levels between laboratories. To arrive at a consensus on adequate coagulation, the International Normalized Ratio (INR) calculation was developed. This calculation helps to standardize PT values so that test results obtained using different thromboplastins and coagulation analyzers are equivalent."

So basically INR was developed to help standardize your lab results if you use multiple labs, hospitals, etc

It's a number that your prescriber will use a gauge as to how effective your current dose is - depending on your condition they will establish a goal range for your PT/INR score (usually 2.0 - 3.0)

Nailed it. Also the range will vary based on your age. The older you get the wider it will get. My wife is only 33 and her range is .5 (2.0-2.5), while her grandmother has a range of 2.0-3.5, iirc

It's been a while since I started this thread, but I just had a cardioversion the other day and it returned me to normal sinus rhythm. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm certainly relieved that this is behind me (for now, anyway).

Reactions: vevois23
Don't want to put anymore coin on the Doak bricks, but hey good luck buddy!

But seriously, good luck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT