ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Veterans Day

ponchfrog

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2003
To Doc aka Mr. President and all on the Warchant who have served, thank you. I want to especially thank the families of Veterans who courageously kissed their love ones bye as they deployed over and over again. Truly amazing what a military family deals with back home and for that I say thank you as well.

Roll Call- Navy 30 years and going strong!

My deepest thanks to all those who have served and continue to serve. Forever grateful for your bravery.

CTiqXKlVAAE4EQb.jpg:large

To Doc aka Mr. President and all on the Warchant who have served, thank you. I want to especially thank the families of Veterans who courageously kissed their love ones bye as they deployed over and over again. Truly amazing what a military family deals with back home and for that I say thank you as well.

Roll Call- Navy 30 years and going strong!
22 years Army and retired. Ponch you are a true warrior. To all veterans past, present and future. Thank you for providing the blanket of freedom for this great country.

RLTW
SGM

To one of my closest friends growing up who was severely wounded in Iraq in 2004. Found out later that he was actually coded on the operating table. I'll never forget the moment I got the call my Freshman year at College finding out about it.

Today he's ridden in the local MS150 bike ride and is one of the top BBQ chefs in the Houston area. Amazing how miracles work.

I always feel like a jackass on Veterans day. I was in the nasty guard and never fought anything other than fat girls off my friends. But I got a free hair cut out of it today.

Either way, for the real warriors, thanks a ton for your service. Except you Hurner, you flipping swab jockey.

I always feel like a jackass on Veterans day. I was in the nasty guard and never fought anything other than fat girls off my friends. But I got a free hair cut out of it today.

Either way, for the real warriors, thanks a ton for your service. Except you Hurner, you flipping swab jockey.
Hey, you made yourself available and could have been activated at any time. Nothing wrong with serving in the Guard or Reserves. Thanks.

serious question, what is the definition of veteran?

is anyone who was in the military considered a veteran? or do you have to be in during war time? or is it war time plus you got shipped overseas?

originally, november 11th was armistice day to celebrate the end of the Great War, and then we had VE day and VJ day.

serious question, what is the definition of veteran?

is anyone who was in the military considered a veteran? or do you have to be in during war time? or is it war time plus you got shipped overseas?

originally, november 11th was armistice day to celebrate the end of the Great War, and then we had VE day and VJ day.

As someone not in it I would say you should have to actually be "in the %*%" to claim to be a Veteran and make a big deal of it. My dad was in the Air Force for quite some time designing, building and maintaining SAM guidance systems so he never makes a big deal of it and I'd guess most people didn't even know he'd been in the service as even my wife just found out recently. It just wasn't that important to him as he spent all of his time in Arkansas and other places in Mericuh that are boring. So he doesn't partake in military veteran events or make any sort of big deal about it.

Ditto my dad's youngest brother who flew F-15s but was perfectly sandwiched between Vietnam and the Gulf War (he was out literally six months or so before Saddam invaded) so he never fired a single shot during wartime. Yes there were some minor incidents in between and he was in "hot" areas like Germany and Okinawa/Korea during the Cold War, but again none of his buddies died except during accidents and no one ever shot at him so he doesn't make a big deal of it. He makes a big deal about his time in Saudi Arabia after the fact when he went to work as a mercenary pilot for SA right after the Gulf War but no action during the immediate aftermath and was retired before the troubles started back up. He was very lucky in that he was with the American military in between wars and when he was a mercenary it was also between wars and the one war he probably should have been in...it was over before he was retrained and certified on the Saudi planes. So again he doesn't care about Veteran events or participate in any type of Veteran organization that I'm aware of.

My two uncles that were in the army during Vietnam and were actually over there (one as a standard bullet catcher in the infantry and the other as telecommunications and electrical engineer which was a relatively dangerous job since he would have to go to hot spots and the jungle to maintain electricity and phone lines and hubs) during the war of course make a big deal of it, participate in parades, and do all of the typical small town Veteran stuff.

That's how my family does it anyways.

Last edited:
yeah, my dad served in WWII and was part of a VFW post. so to him a vet was always a VFW. He also got hit by shrapnel from a grenade in training, but it was stateside so he didn't receive the purple heart (rightly so). BTW, it wasn't his grenade, but a fluke accident from another training area. hence the FW in VFW.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You do not have to have been in combat to have been a veteran. The long deployments, training trips and countless hours at work are just as important. Those of you who know what I do in the Military know that I say this with the utmost respect for all who have served Honorably, not just those who have experience combat.

Hey....... Hey! Flock chu meng! I kept Bermuda safe from......uh.... lonely girls. Did cruise the world the hard way and steered the guys who dropped bombs to retaliate for the marine barracks bombing in Lebanon so there's that.

Do agree that there are serious degrees of valor. Ponch,jamie,ranger,gary and the guys who had bombs and bullets flying at them really put it on the line but I thank all of you fine men and women. Even that deviant disguised as a med rep/respectable husband and father. I dedicate Billy Joel's "I go to extremes" to Free,Ponch and you other hard cores.

Reactions: jaimeguarino
Hey....... Hey! Flock chu meng! I kept Bermuda safe from......uh.... lonely girls. Did cruise the world the hard way and steered the guys who dropped bombs to retaliate for the marine barracks bombing in Lebanon so there's that.

Do agree that there are serious degrees of valor. Ponch,jamie,ranger,gary and the guys who had bombs and bullets flying at them really put it on the line but I thank all of you fine men and women. Even that deviant disguised as a med rep/respectable husband and father. I dedicate Billy Joel's "I go to extremes" to Free,Ponch and you other hard cores.
Heh, I fought the Cold War. Nobody shot at me......that I know of.

You do not have to have been in combat to have been a veteran. The long deployments, training trips and countless hours at work are just as important. Those of you who know what I do in the Military know that I say this with the utmost respect for all who have served Honorably, not just those who have experience combat.

are people who are discharged dis-honorably considered veterans?

are people who are discharged dis-honorably considered veterans?

Yes and no. If they are dishonorably discharged they may not be entitled to certain benefits(VA, VFW, Job assistance, etc) but they can declare themselves Veterans to the general public.

However, if they are around other Veterans who served with honor than they may not receive the same amount of respect from those Veterans.

Yes and no. If they are dishonorably discharged they may not be entitled to certain benefits(VA, VFW, Job assistance, etc) but they can declare themselves Veterans to the general public.

However, if they are around other Veterans who served with honor than they may not receive the same amount of respect from those Veterans.

I'm happy to thank vets who performed a service for their country. I think most people who get "thanked" really don't deserve it. I hope you don't think my trying to reserve respect to those who deserve it is disrespectful; in my mind, its actually more respectful to those who deserve it to distinguish them from those who don't.

Reactions: ponchfrog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT