ADVERTISEMENT

Heat Pump Blower Dying

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
On the coldest night of the year, perfect timing. We heard this high pitched, rattling noise for the last couple days in our family room- kitchen area, thought it was the china vibrating. Finally pinned it down to the blower in the crawl space. Was hoping it would hold out until tomorrow, but we could smell something burning not long after I discovered it so shut it down. We have an upstairs unit which services the 2nd floor, which includes two vents high on our family room wall{ceiling goes to 2nd floor roof}, plus we have a propane fireplace in there, so we'll be alright for the night. I've changed out some components on our ac units{compressor fans, thermostats, etc.} before but never a blower motor. Is this an easy change out?

Just paid $500 for single speed motor installed. They wanted $1182 for variable speed to replace what I had. Seemed like it was a fairly easy thing for the professionals.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

As far as scope of work goes, it's probably a few screws and a module plug. Should be minimal, if any, wiring involved.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

On the coldest night of the year, perfect timing. We heard this high pitched, rattling noise for the last couple days in our family room- kitchen area, thought it was the china vibrating. Finally pinned it down to the blower in the crawl space. Was hoping it would hold out until tomorrow, but we could smell something burning not long after I discovered it so shut it down. We have an upstairs unit which services the 2nd floor, which includes two vents high on our family room wall{ceiling goes to 2nd floor roof}, plus we have a propane fireplace in there, so we'll be alright for the night. I've changed out some components on our ac units{compressor fans, thermostats, etc.} before but never a blower motor. Is this an easy change out?

Well, OP, the suspense has been killing me....was it actually the blower motor and was it 'easy'?

It all depends if blower wheel is seized to the shaft of the motor.Take a pic of the wiring before you unhook any wires.2 or 4 screws (1/4,5/16 ) hold the housing in place.Than loosen up the set screw inside the center of the blower wheel.I like to use wd40 or rust breaker oil on the shaft so it ain't as hard to take apart.Blower motor will have 3 or 4 bolt/screw 7/16 or 1/2 remove them and your done.If yours has a brackett make sure you put the bracket back on the new one at the same depth on the motor you took it off of.

picnic_table_bear.jpg

Reactions: bigmamanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT