ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical Winston trade

Rishi

Contributor
Mar 31, 2002
If you were Tampa, would be keep the pick and draft Winston or trade the pick to eg. NY Giants for Eli? I'm sure the Giants would want more than just #1 for Eli so say add 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick or a future #1 (in say 2017).

Interested to hear opinions.

I personally think it's time for the Giants to move on from Eli (and Coughlin - although I could be convinced to keep Coughlin) and start fresh. Have a decent start with Beckham Jr and Cruz at WR and Donnel at TE for skill guys but very little outside of that. Need virtually an entire new line, all the RBs suck (I think I'm being kind to say that they just suck by NFL standards). The D is virtually non-existent other than Hankins.

I don't see the Giants being in the position of power in this situation especially with how Eli has played the last two seasons. Tampa Bay would be the one asking for additional picks IMO.

Agree w DFS. No way in hell would Tampa give up the #1 AND a couple of future, high picks for a QB who's at the age where his skills are declining. If they give up something like that, it better be to the Colts for Luck.

Originally posted by SeaPA:

Agree w DFS. No way in hell would Tampa give up the #1 AND a couple of future, high picks for a QB who's at the age where his skills are declining. If they give up something like that, it better be to the Colts for Luck.
The chance of the Colts giving up Luck is zero to none. If there is a trade, it is going to be for picks, just like almost every draft day trade.

If you trade Winston for ELi then you're a moron. Tampa doesn't have a good enough defense to cover up ELi turnovers and 3 lackluster quarters of play.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Cubs79:

Originally posted by SeaPA:

The chance of the Colts giving up Luck is zero to none. If there is a trade, it is going to be for picks, just like almost every draft day trade.
laugh.r191677.gif
Yeah, I know Indy isn't going to trade Luck. My intent was to point out that the Bucs giving up the #1 pick AND additional, high future picks for Eli would be absurd - similar to the absurdity of suggesting Indy might trade their future.

The Bucs are the worst team in the league; they aren't going to improve by giving up multiple picks to get one decent QB who's on the decline.

Originally posted by Rishi:
If you were Tampa, would be keep the pick and draft Winston or trade the pick to eg. NY Giants for Eli? I'm sure the Giants would want more than just #1 for Eli so say add 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick or a future #1 (in say 2017).

Interested to hear opinions.

I personally think it's time for the Giants to move on from Eli (and Coughlin - although I could be convinced to keep Coughlin) and start fresh. Have a decent start with Beckham Jr and Cruz at WR and Donnel at TE for skill guys but very little outside of that. Need virtually an entire new line, all the RBs suck (I think I'm being kind to say that they just suck by NFL standards). The D is virtually non-existent other than Hankins.
Eli is on the back 9 for sure. They have invested in o-line: Pugh and Richburg last 2 years. Now I'm not a huge fan of those picks but Reese is and I don't see them doing a total overhaul.

This trade won't happen but I guess fun to discuss.

Giants are the most likely team to sign Suh if he doesn't stay in Detroit. I disagree the D was non-existent. The secondary did okay - Rodgers-Cromartie started playing very well, Rolle and Brown are passable, Prince is getting better. LB's are a problem.

If the NYG called Tampa offering Eli for the #1 pick, Tampa would hang up laughing.

Tampa has done well with the overall #1 pick, excluding the Bo Jackson fiasco. Tampa has selected 1 HOF'er (Leroy Selmon), and 2nd HOF'er, IMO in Bo, and they have selected Ricky Bell and Vinny Testaverde, who had productive NFL careers and Tamps hasn't picked busts like Jamarcus Russell or Tim Couch.

If Tampa can continue to have success with the #1 pick, then IMO, they should just pick JW now and get him into camp. I like that fact that Winston could end up with FSU South.

Winston is a hell of a lot better and has a lot more upside than EJ Manuel, and I think EJ can have a long NFL career as a back up or 3rd string QB. Trading the #1 and not selecting JW could be a bigger mistake than Portland picking Sam Bowie over MJ.

Unless Tampa gets 2-3 king's ransoms for the #1, picking Winston is a no brainer, and no one is going to be willing to to pay a ransom for the baggage that JW has piled up. Heck, being a Raiders fan, I would be bullshit if they dealt David Carr for Winston.

Originally posted by Manch.:
Tampa has done well with the overall #1 pick, excluding the Bo Jackson fiasco. Tampa has selected 1 HOF'er (Leroy Selmon), and 2nd HOF'er, IMO in Bo, and they have selected Ricky Bell and Vinny Testaverde, who had productive NFL careers and Tamps hasn't picked busts like Jamarcus Russell or Tim Couch.

If Tampa can continue to have success with the #1 pick, then IMO, they should just pick JW now and get him into camp. I like that fact that Winston could end up with FSU South.

Winston is a hell of a lot better and has a lot more upside than EJ Manuel, and I think EJ can have a long NFL career as a back up or 3rd string QB. Trading the #1 and not selecting JW could be a bigger mistake than Portland picking Sam Bowie over MJ.

Unless Tampa gets 2-3 king's ransoms for the #1, picking Winston is a no brainer, and no one is going to be willing to to pay a ransom for the baggage that JW has piled up. Heck, being a Raiders fan, I would be bullshit if they dealt David Carr for Winston.
I doubt there is more than 1 GM in the league that wouldn't jump at the chance to trade Carr for JW
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT