ADVERTISEMENT

I actually found fried chicken

NolegirlY2K

Freshman
Jan 31, 2003
That I liked!! We are in NOLA, and we ate at Willie May's scotch house. It was so good and I don't like many fried foods! That is all.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by NolegirlY2K:
That I liked!! We are in NOLA, and we ate at Willie May's scotch house. It was so good and I don't like many fried foods! That is all.
Willie Mae's is amazing, but I like the fried chicken at Yoders in Sarasota just as much maybe more. Next time you're there try the fried chicken and some peanut butter pie.

Originally posted by NolegirlY2K:
Willie May's is one of THE best fried chicken restaurants there is. Only my own fried chicken is significantly better.

Lived in Bradenton/Sarasota three years and go back quite often for weekend getaways and have never been to Yoders...

Originally posted by cmanole:
Lived in Bradenton/Sarasota three years and go back quite often for weekend getaways and have never been to Yoders...
They were highlighted on a Food Network show for both their chicken and their pies.

This post was edited on 2/7 7:03 AM by noleit

Originally posted by PoopandBoogers:

Is that the amish joint?
Yes. There is a local place there called Basil's that is off the chain cray cray good...

google thomas keller ad hoc buttermilk fried chicken. do the brine, it's essential. best fried chicken ever.

if you're ever in Jax, try Beach Road Chicken Dinners. It's actually not located on Beach Blvd, but on parallel Atlantic. It was build before Beach Blvd was.

I do love some Popeye and Bojangles both, too.

Jam- they dont serve honey chicken at the table anymore!? I thought they still had it on Sundays after a win or something like that.

If I have any leftover fried chicken from Publix, I usually add a little crystals hot sauce and slather with honey and throw it in the oven. Man, I might be having fried chicken today.

Popeyes has good fried chicken when it's fresh...same with Publix, they are to hit or miss for me though.

One of the keys to good fried chicken is getting a 9 piece cut as opposed to an 8. And you want a bird that weighs around 2.5 to 3 lbs.

The skin to meat to breading ratio is spot on this way!

Is that the amish joint?
Yep, that's the best Amish restaurant in Florida and truthfully I like it better than the places I went to in Intercourse and other parts of PA.

Originally posted by skramer100:
google thomas keller ad hoc buttermilk fried chicken. do the brine, it's essential. best fried chicken ever.
I had the chicken at his restaurant in Yountville,CA, (Napa Valley), the best I've ever had, next to my own

I usually hate and I mean HATE fried chicken. It always smells so good and then I eat 2 bites and my stomach starts to turn. I ate 2 pieces of this, unheard of for me. I can't stand publix fried chicken of that gives you a baseline lol. It was so good!

Jam- they dont serve honey chicken at the table anymore!? I thought they still had it on Sundays after a win or something like that.

If I have any leftover fried chicken from Publix, I usually add a little crystals hot sauce and slather with honey and throw it in the oven. Man, I might be having fried chicken today.

I think fried foods are out. I never see the chicken any more Monday through Friday, I have no idea about weekends or nights.

Originally posted by noleit:

I had the chicken at his restaurant in Yountville,CA, (Napa Valley), the best I've ever had, next to my own
Was closed when I went. Wife and I had to settle for French Laundry instead. It really is the best fried chicken. We make it all the time. The creamed corn in that cook book is off the charts as well.

Originally posted by DanC78:
Popeyes has good fried chicken when it's fresh...same with Publix, they are to hit or miss for me though.

One of the keys to good fried chicken is getting a 9 piece cut as opposed to an 8. And you want a bird that weighs around 2.5 to 3 lbs.

The skin to meat to breading ratio is spot on this way!

Also, gotta get a good scald on it.

Originally posted by Bartdog:

if you're ever in Jax, try Beach Road Chicken Dinners. It's actually not located on Beach Blvd, but on parallel Atlantic. It was build before Beach Blvd was.

Beach Road is amazing. My family has been going there for 70 years. Southern Living has named them best fried chicken in the South several times, but it can be hit or miss these days.

Was closed when I went. Wife and I had to settle for French Laundry instead. It really is the best fried chicken. We make it all the time. The creamed corn in that cook book is off the charts as well.
Frech Laundry is a GREAT "settle-on" restaurant. They're the restaurant that had the big 300K wine heist not too long ago.

Originally posted by TexasGooner:

Originally posted by fsunole025:

Gus's hot chicken in Memphis or Lucy's in Austin is the best I've had.

I've had Hattie B's Hot Chicken in Nashville. Is Gus' better?

They are comparable. Hattie B's has better sides and you can select the level of heat you want. Gus's isn't as hot and has slightly better flavor but their sides are basic. Most people just order the chicken by the bucket and don't worry with sides filing them up.

Frech Laundry is a GREAT "settle-on" restaurant. They're the restaurant that had the big 300K wine heist not too long ago.
Yea, kinda joking with that comment. You see how they found the wine? Romanee Conti puts an RFDI chip in every cork for fraud purposes. That is just crazy. Guy just should of had a raging party and drank all that.

Buckners family restaurant in Ga. Right off the Jackson/ Barnesville exit on I-75 . They cook chicken breast only in peanut oil. Lazy susan turn tables .Great veggies as well

Didn't realize there are some many fried chicken connoisseurs on this board.

I have never met a fried chicken that I didn't like.....

Originally posted by VirginiaNole:
Didn't realize there are some many fried chicken connoisseurs on this board.

I have never met a fried chicken that I didn't like.....
Let me introduce you to the Winn-Dixie deli....

Used to be the part-time fry cook at Publix. They had some pretty good fried chicken. Our manager claimed that it was the original KFC recipe. The trick to crispy skin is use buttermilk and let the coating rest/sit in the refrigerator for one hour to set.

Originally posted by tbdnole_70_08:
Originally posted by Bartdog:

Beach Road is amazing. My family has been going there for 70 years. Southern Living has named them best fried chicken in the South several times, but it can be hit or miss these days.
I've yet to go when it is 'hit,' but I haven't gone many times. But it has never even crossed my mind to think 'this might be the best fried chicken joint in the South...' I find that assertion completely laughable.

If it were still in business, I would prefer Jimmy's, but even that wasn't elite fried chicken.

Have had Willie Mae's Scotch House on my list of places to try for years and always end up going to other restaurants. I definitely need to try it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT