ADVERTISEMENT

I finally got that new bigscreen...

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
I kept putting it off and putting it off - I'm THAT person that won't buy new stuff until the stuff I have really, truly gives its last breath. For example, the button on my garage remote cracked and broke, so what do I do? I have a pencil that I use to poke up into the remote and it hits the activator. Don't ask me why I don't spend $39.99 for a new universal remote and just program it in. I'm a tightwad.

At any rate, my 2007 Samsung 46" gave it up, so I run out at 8 PM and hit H.H. Gregg. I had a $100 gift card and have been watching their ads.

I brought home an open box (TV still in plastic wrap along with the accessories, etc. so never used) 60" LG 4K
with all the bells and whistles. Person had bought it, taken it home and brought it back for the 65". $1,300 out the door - regular price was $1,799. I'm a happy camper and of course the larger size picture is ridiculously awesome. My den is not big and any larger of a TV would have chased me out of the room.

Now I just need to hook it up to my WiFi and update my Netflix account.

congrats, there's a tremendous amount of pressure pulling the trigger on a new TV!

I kept putting it off and putting it off - I'm THAT person that won't buy new stuff until the stuff I have really, truly gives its last breath. For example, the button on my garage remote cracked and broke, so what do I do? I have a pencil that I use to poke up into the remote and it hits the activator. Don't ask me why I don't spend $39.99 for a new universal remote and just program it in. I'm a tightwad.

At any rate, my 2007 Samsung 46" gave it up, so I run out at 8 PM and hit H.H. Gregg. I had a $100 gift card and have been watching their ads.

I brought home an open box (TV still in plastic wrap along with the accessories, etc. so never used) 60" LG 4K
with all the bells and whistles. Person had bought it, taken it home and brought it back for the 65". $1,300 out the door - regular price was $1,799. I'm a happy camper and of course the larger size picture is ridiculously awesome. My den is not big and any larger of a TV would have chased me out of the room.

Congrats on the tv. As for your garage remote, can you program your vehicle to open the garage, or is it real old?

Gratz on the new TV it looks like a good one. I bought a Samsung a few years back and the sound does not come on half the time I turn it on. The fix is to turn it off and back on again which is not a big issue but still an annoyance.

Last edited:
I just did something similar. We have a 39" Magnavox that i got from Costco probably 7-8 years ago. It still works, just has this annoying black line down the middle. Just bought a refurbed 55" Vizio from woot for $500.

Congrats on the upgrade goldmom, if you don't have them, I would consider a surround sound/ blue ray player, it will blow your mind. Speaking of tv upgrades, I'm thinking of a bigger system for my man cave. I currently have a wall hung 52" Samsung with a decent surround/blue ray attached in the family room but anything larger is verboten to the wife due to decorating issues. I have nothing in the cave, which is 22x15, which you'd think would be a slam dunk. Problem is, it's over the garage, which has a pavilion roof{four sided}. That results in the inside walls angling INWARD {30 degrees}starting about four feet up. It's a decorating nightmare, I guess my options would be to attach a tv to an upper wall section, but I'm dealing with three windows and two doors. Do they make HD projection TVs, maybe I could drop a screen down from the ceiling?

I'm the same way. I'm always the last person to get stuff that everybody else has. I will say that I was in Walmart the other day and saw a 4K TV and wanted to buy it right then and there. Luckily I got a hold of my senses just in the nick of time and decided to wait till Black Friday...

congrats, there's a tremendous amount of pressure pulling the trigger on a new TV!

Really? Everybody has a huge brand new TV now, they are dirt cheap. I bought a 42 inch Sony Vega for $2500 back in the 90s, it was the best TV going at the time. You can buy a 70 inch 4K at Sams now for under $1500. I bought a 40 inch Vizio smart TV for our rental condo for $319 last week. If you wait until Christmas they will go down more, I don't see how they can get any cheaper.

Really? Everybody has a huge brand new TV now, they are dirt cheap. I bought a 42 inch Sony Vega for $2500 back in the 90s, it was the best TV going at the time. You can buy a 70 inch 4K at Sams now for under $1500. I bought a 40 inch Vizio smart TV for our rental condo for $319 last week. If you wait until Christmas they will go down more, I don't see how they can get any cheaper.

The 4K TVs are starting to come down in price. The 1080P sets are absolutely dirt cheap now.

DirecTV will be broadcasting the Masters in 4K this year. Can't wait to see that.

The 4K TVs are starting to come down in price. The 1080P sets are absolutely dirt cheap now.

DirecTV will be broadcasting the Masters in 4K this year. Can't wait to see that.

I have been thinking of a new one by Christmas. I saw my bussies 65 Vizio 4K the other day that he got for $999 at Best Buy and it looked awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT