ADVERTISEMENT

Interviews, updates following Tuesday practice (Norvell, Dugans, Rodemaker, Poitier)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
FSU is back at practice today, but it is closed to the media. We are interviewing Coach Norvell and players afterward, however.

So check back around 6:15 or 6:30 for updates and then videos.

See ya then!
====

Mike Norvell

Almost overemphasizing details so that they can run things faster -- thought looking at scrimmage they weren't operating as fast as he would like. Pleased with some of the efforts I'm seeing...the defensive front, guys like Fabien Lovett, he's pushing hard than he's ever pushed. Jermaine Johnson, Dennis Briggs flashing. Positive steps at LB, Dix showing himself as someone taking the next steps; mentions Rice, Gainer, Lundy and Deloach, too

Lovett: He started (at MSU) playing 0-nose, (a) 2 gap technique thought process. Last year had to learn a new system. I've seen him focus on fundamentals and technique, I think Odell has done a good job with him. In better physical shape than last year. I like his mindset

Goal line defense in scrimmage: we had a six play sequence, it was collectively a little bit from everybody. Fabien, Dennis, Derrick (McClendon), Jermaine -- when you come to that points, it's mindset plays. Today we put offense at the 10, they had 3 plays to score...2nd sequence, ball got on the 1 yard line and we had a big play created by defensive penetration upfront

DL: (need to see) continued development. You look inside, they were basically the guys in the second half of the season. They have experience. Robert Cooper taking that next steps, he's in better shape, moving better. Josh Farmer has a bright future, has gained 15-20 lbs, he's already working inside at 3-technique, he had some extraordinary plays, flash and toughness. Jermaine we think tje sky is the limit, we've seen the production at a high level. Keir Thomas is battling through some things but he's a guy who can bring in a great dynamic to our defensive upfront. We need guys like Quashon Fuller, Josh Griffis to step up

Farmer: body weight is something we'll talk about but we're not going to substitute explosive power, speed just for a body weight number. We want guys with an attack mindset and explosive movers. He's put on weight but he's moving as good as he did when he first got here. Dennis Briggs has moved from DE to 3-technique and has an ability to become a special player. We want aggressiveness and physical explosive type of player.

Players encouraging one another: One of the big points of emphasis has been there won't be anyone else there to support us (on the road), who's gonna help keep the energy. It takes one positive play to change momentum, it's about energy. But we don't need just cheerleaders, we also need inspirational leaders. I don't think we did a good job of that last year...we need to have each other's back and respond to whatever comes our way.

Scrimmage improvements: Things with our eyes. 2 plays where Milton didn't get see it right. Jordan did the same thing. I'm happy with the growth I'm seeing with Tate. I think he made guys better when he was out there. I'm excited about the QB position, if they get a clean pocket, they have the ability to locate and make throws....exciting to see what they do when things break down. I like the playmaking ability we're seeing, it's about becoming more efficient with some of the things we're seeing with our eyes

Status of Shrader, Tate, Warner III: They'll be out for a little bit of an extended period, we'll evaluate as we go and potentially update

Young WRs: They're talented, right mindset, approach. I really like the WR room...got guys who are older. Keyshawn, Ontaria...younger guys lie Darion, Ja'khi Douglas, they're young but hungry to get better. They're taking coaching. Competition is great, excited what they can become.

Ron Dugans now up...

Progress: You've seen progress in the offense, not just the guys running the concept but they're getting a better understanding of the details in the concept -- leverage, who's the high/low. Understanding that helps them play fast. We're seeing some of that but we're not where we want to be

Young WRs and evaluation: Within the recruiting process the things you see on film, within the conversations with the kid and the coaches, when they get in, first thing you look for what's inside of them. They're working out with Coach Storms looking good, you hope they'll look as good on the field. When you see them compete in board drills, the man against man drills, within a couple weeks it shows you (if they) have a bad case of the wants. Just want them to give me everything they got. McClain has been a bright spot, still have some work to do, showed up in the scrimmage. Burrell has come out and made some plays, understanding splits and alignments. Kentron has done a good job of growing, has to be consistent and play up to his potential of being a dog.

Kentron: Has caught the ball better. You see him going up making contested catches, competing for the ball when it's in the air. Early in the scrimmage he made some mistakes but I like the way he responded. We're just trying to get him to make some plays back to back.

WRs blocking DBs in practice, physical play: It's been an emphasis of all of our skill guys. Have to do a better job of blocking on perimeter and being physical. Keyshawn was one of the guys that stood out, Darion Williamson and Ja'Khi Douglas....you can go back to Malik. The perimeter drills are helping. Understanding if I don't block, I don't play.

Ja'Khi: Selfless young man. He wants to do anything to help the team win and that's what he's been doing. The transition has been really good. We were recruiting him at WR so for him it's been fine. Still has to adjust to tempo between plays, running back to the huddle after deep routes, etc. The kid has been awesome, really good in that room, no egos, it's been a bright spot, seeing them gel and challenge one another.

Transfer DBs, competition for the WRs and benefits: It's been really good. At first, going into 1-on-1's I was like woo, they got some veterans and I got some pups. I knew in shorts we had a chance but wasn't sure about pads. It helps the younger guys, those older DBs will tell you what they saw and what you should have done. It's help me and I'll help get you better, bringing each other along.

Bryan Robinson, Darion Williamson in 2nd spring: Darion has had some bright spots, not just blocking...his lower body is stronger, hands are stronger. He'll have a really good period but the come out and make a mistake but he still comes back and responds. I like the direction with him, I think he has a chance. Robinson just gotta work on the consistency, he's been up and down. This is the first time he's practiced in a really long time. We have to get his wind back. I do like B-Rob.

Coming up up Kentron Poitier and Tate Rodemaker

Tate on scrimmage: I was comfortable throughout. Ran some plays we hadn't run as much but got more comfortable.

What did he learn from last year: In practice I want to work on taking those in-game reps or team reps. I need as much experience as I can. Last year wasn't what I wanted

Kentron on growth: My route running, working on being physical and getting DBs off me

Tate on WRs: It's been a lot better. Before spring we did player run practices, all the WRs would show up, we built better chemistry, we'd run all the routes. They've come together as a group and talking to the QBS and communicating

Kentron on WR growth: A lot since last year. Freshman like Malik and Josh, they're gonna play a big role, they're not gonna come in and be regular freshman.

Tate on spring goals: Everything. In physical terms everything -- deep ball. We changed the ball we're using, it's more like our HS ball so I can throw it better. Talking to WRs after a rep

Tate on fun in the scrimmage when making plays: A lot of fun. Got more reps than I expected. When we score, the whole offense celebrated with us. Coach Dillingham wanted that

Back shoulder throws: Me and Tate connect, it's something I've been running since high school so it was a easy transition. Now I have to be more physical and give the QB more grass to make the throw

Kentron on the physical WRs, who's the strongest: Josh (Burrell) squats 500+. On bench probably Josh again.

On growing from 2020 for Tate: Last spring we got 3 practices but this year we can just fly thru the install because we know (the terminology?). I'm not learning a lot (of new stuff?), I'm building off what I already know

That's a wrap. We'll do it again Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.