ADVERTISEMENT

Is a DUI reason enough to “cancel” someone?

ChiefWB

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 30, 2014
Huntersville, NC
Let me preface this by say I am not a fan of the cancel culture. So today I am seeing that Bob Huggins, a college coach making millions of dollars a year. A few months ago he made some pretty serious anti-gay public statements. As a result he had his salary reduced by a million dollars but kept his job. Yesterday the guy gets a DUI and it’s getting more press than his previous indiscretion.
What do you think comes of this? As disgusted as I was by his words, who drinks and drives anymore? That stuff went away with the rotary phone or so I thought.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I would dare say anyone on this board who drank alcohol has driven intoxicated at least once

Including me!

With that being said I don’t condone driving intoxicated

But treat all who do the same equally no matter who you are

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: surfnole
I would dare say anyone on this board who drank alcohol has driven intoxicated at least once

Including me!

With that being said I don’t condone driving intoxicated

But treat all who do the same equally no matter who you are
I was bad in my younger years. There are a couple of occasions where I cringe when I think back on it. Met my wife in 1996 and stopped doing it. My motivation was the thought that if I ever did harm to her I couldn’t live with myself. Whatever works I guess. But with the resources available today I just don’t understand it.

Reactions: littleitch1
I suspect Mr Huggins knew exactly what his institutions policies were on both diversity and inclusion as well as DUI so - if by cancel, you mean accepting the consequences for his actions....yeah, cancel him. If using "cancel culture" as a beard to escape ridicule for bias, prejudice, deflection of responsibility, etc., ....dude should definately get a pass.

What do you mean by "cancel someone", in this case?

I could understand if the university fired him. He's clearly a liability.
I think being fired is certainly a form of cancellation. We have seen in recent situations where one’s actions have led to that result.

You can’t chalk this up to cancel culture. He put the school in a tough spot a couple of months ago with his comments. If he had been fired then, you could say he was cancelled. This time, while already on notice, he put lives in danger and got himself arrested. He’s lucky no one was hurt. It’s also not his first DUI arrest. You can’t tell me he’s unlucky and got caught the only two times he drove drunk. He’s likely done it many times through the years. It’s a bad look and I’m confident he took the chance to resign, or would have been fired. Actions have consequences.

Bigger story here than the most recent issues. I believe in the whole person concept when it comes to these things as opposed to the strike rule. I'm not a fan of cancelling people for what they say or their opinion but people have to learn that there is consequences for your words and actions. Given he has had other problems in the past its best he stepped down.

He used a slur in connection with a religious schools practice of throwing dildos.
"Catholics don't do that. ... I tell you what, any school that can throw rubber penises on the floor and then say they didn’t do it, by God they can get away with anything," Huggins said.

"It was the Crosstown Shootout. What it was, was all those f**s, those Catholic f**s, I think. ... They were envious they didn't have one."

If we’re not careful, everyone will be canceled!

They target who they want, when they want

I would guess All politicians should lay their heads on the chopping block, along with teachers, judges etc who voice slurs or opinions that hurt or found offensive to others!!

Bring on the guillotines!!

If we’re not careful, everyone will be canceled!

They target who they want, when they want

I would guess All politicians should lay their heads on the chopping block, along with teachers, judges etc who voice slurs or opinions that hurt or found offensive to others!!

Bring on the guillotines!!
Who is “they”?

"Catholics don't do that. ... I tell you what, any school that can throw rubber penises on the floor and then say they didn’t do it, by God they can get away with anything," Huggins said.

"It was the Crosstown Shootout. What it was, was all those f**s, those Catholic f**s, I think. ... They were envious they didn't have one."
In fact he insulted the Catholics too. But like I said he used a slur.

???? Not sure the inference here...
but do Xavier students really throw dildos and/or rubber dicks on the basketball court ?
I'm not sure what he's trying to insinuate either but I described what happened. Very accusatory if you ask me but I have thick skin. And yes I think they do throw them on the court.

Reactions: noletaire
If Huggins has to go, fine. I believe the Xavier students who attend the basketball games should be canceled and should publicly apologize. As someone who suffers from the Irishman's curse, I find the tradition of throwing rubber penises on basketball court offensive, degrading, and insulting. This is a ________g outrage!!

• Haha
Reactions: ChiefWB
I take it the slur was the word "fag". Doesn't really identify the slur in the article, had to listen to broadcast.
Now, if you're Catholic school and you have a tradition of throwing dildos and rubber dicks on a basketball court, you deserve to be mocked.

Reactions: seminoleed
You can’t chalk this up to cancel culture. He put the school in a tough spot a couple of months ago with his comments. If he had been fired then, you could say he was cancelled. This time, while already on notice, he put lives in danger and got himself arrested. He’s lucky no one was hurt. It’s also not his first DUI arrest. You can’t tell me he’s unlucky and got caught the only two times he drove drunk. He’s likely done it many times through the years. It’s a bad look and I’m confident he took the chance to resign, or would have been fired. Actions have consequences.
Let's be honest.............he could afford to have a driver and car hired whenever he wanted.............or he could Uber.............so this was his choice.............and he will suffer the consequences. Just makes me want to shake my head and laugh at how stupid people can be.

???? Not sure the inference here...
but do Xavier students really throw dildos and/or rubber dicks on the basketball court ? That's one of their traditions?
Apparently not a tradition. In a time where everything is photographed and recorded, there must be some evidence this actually occurred.

Reactions: noletaire
Haha. Now he says he never resigned and wants to be reinstated. I guess his direct deposits stopped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT