ADVERTISEMENT

Just ordered 8 dozen flies...

BelemNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Roseville, CA
Heading to Yellowstone in 2 weeks to fish with my brother for a couple days. Will only be on the water for 3 days...think I might have over-bought...:D

Heading to Yellowstone in 2 weeks to fish with my brother for a couple days. Will only be on the water for 3 days...think I might have over-bought...:D

Not a fisherman. I've heard the term "fly fishing" probably all my life and I swear until I read your post just now I envisioned it had something to do with a special kind of reel that spun or "flied" around in rotation. Last time I tried to fish was with some Cub Scouts over 40 years ago. The ladies from church in charge of the cubs took us to some little pond and gave us wooden rods and I think we had live worms to bait the hooks.

I'm guessing that flies are cheap (?). Does one use several during any single casting attempt?

Ah, no. The term comes from the lure, which tend to represent small flying insects. They are usually made from bits of feather and fur wrapped around a hook in a way in imitate a particular insect during a particular stage of it's development.
The "fly" weighs almost nothing so the fly line is what is used to make the cast. Long supple rods and heavy line toss the tiny fly out to fool unwary fish.
Typically one fly per cast if you're fishing the surface. One or more if you're fishing below the surface.

Ok, I had done a super fast google search after opening the thread and a site came up that was talking about the benefits of using "dried out flies", so of course I thought people were out there literally using flies.

I've been to Yosemite......never passed near Yellowstone.

Hopefully all those flies you bought closely resemble what ever insects are hatching durning the time you're there!

Hopefully all those flies you bought closely resemble what ever insects are hatching durning the time you're there!
It will be mostly terrestrials while we are there, ants, hoppers, crickets. Add in a few caddis as you can never have too many of those in Yellowstone. Couple different patterns and sizes and it adds up fast.

While in South Africa we visited the town of Dullstroom. They are known for their flys and as a fly fishing Mecca in South Africa for trout. I bought some awesome flys that in the states would cost close to a $100 and I paid less than 15$

I'm hoping to return in November and fish for a day. Truly an amazing area.

I was in Yellowstone last year in May and saw several fly fishermen using what they said were "Yellowstone flies".

Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Reactions: BelemNole
On a side note, the Big Blackfoot river was long polluted and has only recently started to hold fish again. Most of those fishing scenes in the movie were filmed along the Gallatin River along Yellowstone's western boarder instead.

On a side note, the Big Blackfoot river was long polluted and has only recently started to hold fish again. Most of those fishing scenes in the movie were filmed along the Gallatin River along Yellowstone's western boarder instead.

Awile back I caught the making of 'A River Runs Through It' and that was discussed.

Not to get political, but just imagine if we never had the EPA, Clean Water Act, etc. What a shame that would be.

Yellowstone is 500+ miles SE of there.

if you get bored fishing, drive on down into Jackson and raft the Snake River.

You should pack some canned vegetables to enjoy with your flies. If you're lucky, maybe your brother will catch some fish to supplement that protein.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT