ADVERTISEMENT

Keeping Football in Perspective

iamthesis

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2012
Keeping Football In Perspective​

Let’s assume I am not biased in favor of Florida State, though I am. Strongly so.

Let’s also assume I have no bone to pick with the University of Florida. which I don’t.

I’d prefer that UF won every game of their season except one, and I would want FSU to be the team that beat them. It’s a win-win for both teams in what otherwise is a zero-sum game. Someone’s got to lose on any given Saturday, and I prefer it not be FSU. Plus, it helps FSU to beat a great Florida team and not a weak one. The greatness of any team is measured by the greatness of its opponent. That observation should not be debatable. Beyond that, I don’t pull against any team. I only pull for my own.

Now to my point:

In 1996, undefeated UF lost to undefeated Nebraska 62-24 in the Fiesta Bowl.

In 2003, undefeated FSU lost to a one-loss Georgia team 63-3 in the Orange Bowl.

Which losing team got the worst of it that day, FSU or UF? I’d say, neither one. On any given night, things happen, some predictable, some not.

Consider the following:

In 1996, UF had a Heisman winning quarterback and a great passer. They had two of the country’s best wide receivers, each of whom was a consensus All-American. They had just won four consecutive SEC Championships, and the next year they won their first National Championship with a 52-20 rout of FSU in the Orange Bowl. Plus, they had an established coach of national renown. Many experts picked UF to win the game against Nebraska, if only for UF's great quarterback, Danny Wuerffel, their overall team speed, their high-scoring offense and their tenacious defense, along with a brilliant head coach.

Coming into the game, Nebraska was ranked #1 and Florida was ranked #2. I do not know of any consequential players on the UF team who transferred to another school prior to the game or by-passed the game to protect their NFL draft status. Nor did Nebraska. So let’s call it even in that regard. Yet, at game’s end, Nebraska had scored 62 points, and UF only 24. Both teams had their regular starting lineup on the field.

In 2023, FSU had to face an undefeated Georgia team with a pure freshman quarterback who had little college game experience, the first and second string QBs having gone down to injury late in the season. Regarding the various opt-outs for the game, either to the transfer portal or the NFL draft, both teams had similar numbers, but that’s where the comparisons end. Georgia won easily, 63 to 3. To my knowledge, Georgia didn’t lose any of its first team players on either side of the ball. They stayed because they wanted the “W” and their improved draft status. Kudos to them. From their point of view, they were still in the game. I understand that.

Unfortunately, FSU lost its most valuable starters, including its #1 and #2 wide receivers, its #1 defensive end and several other defensive starters, plus key backups. FSU still had what appears to be a potentially great head coach, but he now was coaching raw talent. And Georgia had a treasure-trove of proven talent and depth that FSU lacked. Kudos again to Georgia. They waited decades for such a roster. Alternatively, FSU’s all-stars saw nothing to be gained by risking their future on a pointless game. So they acted in their own self-interest, as most of us do on a daily basis. After the opt-out smoke cleared, the gulf between Georgia and FSU only widened in Georgia’s favor. All the experts could see it. So could Georgia and FSU fans.

Some of you readers may want to add to this comparison, or else correct any misrepresentations I might have made, but I will return to my original question:

Which team suffered the greater loss, FSU in 2023 or UF in 1996?

I would only say, “Who cares?” The facts are what they are. Both losing teams played their best, as most teams do, but maybe “it just ain’t your day,” for whatever reasons.

Just remember to keep the game in perspective and ignore the ignorant.

FSU is on the rise. Doubt it if you will, but you will be mistaken. Norvelle, his staff and his team will prove you wrong. They are Seminoles, the only unconquered tribe. Bobby Bowden taught us that much. He ate big gators for lunch.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News