ADVERTISEMENT

La Bombonera (Boca Jrs futbol in Buenos Aires) vs. Doak Campbell Stadium

caseminole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
Went to my first ever Boca Futbol match last night at La Bombonera, the home stadium of Boca Juniors.

The home team did me proud (I am now an adopted Boca fan, as my host is now a huge converted Nole!), winning 3-1 against Newell's Old Boys (odd name, but ok)

Here are some interesting observations

1. the stadium capacity is 49,000, so you would think perhaps it wouldnt be as loud as Doak. Wrong. the place is (next to the Rio de la Plata) and , acoustically, makes up the difference. not a bad seat in the house. We were about half way up nearer to an "end zone" and you could tell the noise on the field was loud. I initially thought i'd spend the entire match standing up, but, by design, the seats (at least in my area) are designed so that if you stand up, the person behind can still see, even if they are sitting.

2. the Boca songs vs the Warchant: The crowd definitely has several main songs they sing. What surprised me is that even when a shot doesnt score , the crowd ROARS of appreciation. My host said its because they want to cheer the team on and are happy they did something so good , even if didnt result in a score.
meanwhile, The "12th Man" is a group of maybe 4 thousand "semi-dangerous" locals with seats handed down by generations. They were the most vocal and didnt shut up the entire match. My host told me he thinks the ticket prices dont change with ownership or year, so that explains how some folks can still go inside for a match. They are the ones you see on TV when they show the stadium

The WARCHANT cant be beat in my biased opinion; however, only when its in full force. This crowd was simply amped the entire game, and the "12th man" folks didnt shut up.

3. When the opposing team scored a goal, the crowd ALSO went wild with ROARS and chants - this is to let the home team know NOT to get down about a goal

I dont like boos at Doak esp when aimed at my players!!!!!!!!!!!

4. It POURED last night. When the rain comes, the crowd begins to sing a song about the rain being the tears from the fallen defeated team they are playing against

Would be cool to emulate

5. Half time - pretty damn quick, and we had VIP tix to some club in the museum of the stadium. We took 5 minutes to find it, went in for open bar and food for 10 minutes, people were dancing, lights going full blast. After the 10 minutes, the game (2T) started, the crowd immediately left and the place was shut down quicker than you can say "boo"

No lines , plenty of restrooms, definitely an edge over Doak!

6. the crowd - plenty of beautiful woman and men walking around - but dont hold a candle to what you see on a warm Saturday night at DCS!

all in all a GREAT experience - a high recommend however!

I will never forget !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.