ADVERTISEMENT

License Plate Reader

fsu1jreed

Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
Pensacola
I remember seeing a youtube a few years ago about this technology, well it seems as if it's already in use.

Virginia police charge husband of missing woman with assault after finding her

A police source told WTVR late Friday that the woman was found when a license plate reader captured her plate.

And the ACLU doesn't like it either.

YOU ARE BEING TRACKED

518d70a332514.preview-620.jpg
alpr-pagis_lg_us-en.jpg

Here's a video of the technology

License plate readers are second set of eyes for police

It's been in use for a while. Not only are the police using it, but private towing companies are as well.

I posted a bunch of links about it last time after some posters here argued with me about the feasability of tracking people with them.

They have been using them near me for a few years to track illegal tags on cars. Essentially, multiple cops setup on I85 and when a car without the proper tag, or an expired tag, drives by one of the cops pulls the driver over.

I am sure every car scanned goes into a database which can then be used to track where people are.

I remember seeing a youtube a few years ago about this technology, well it seems as if it's already in use.

Virginia police charge husband of missing woman with assault after finding her

A police source told WTVR late Friday that the woman was found when a license plate reader captured her plate.

And the ACLU doesn't like it either.

YOU ARE BEING TRACKED

518d70a332514.preview-620.jpg
alpr-pagis_lg_us-en.jpg

Here's a video of the technology

License plate readers are second set of eyes for police

That story about the Virginia woman you posted is bizarre. So she went missing, they go searching for her, find her and the husband is charged? Will have to see how that one turns out.

We had a company come in a year ago to demo a setup like this and the way that it worked was, the Deputy had to download a list of tag numbers, this had to be done at the start of every shift. These were usually stolen vehicles, expired tags or any other tags that we may have reason to look for. As the officer drives it had cameras scanning tags on cars he would pass or cars that passed him and they had cameras aimed sideways to scan tags of parked cars in parking lots. Once scanned it would compare the scanned tag against the uploaded list of tags they were looking for. When they got a hit it would alert the Deputy and at that time show a picture of the tag and several of the vehicle. The system we look at did no record retention except for the tags that received hits.

The system we look at did no record retention except for the tags that received hits.

Definitely not the way all of the systems work.
The kind of surveillance state we live under now is a Stasi wet dream.

Driving down to Mashes Island a few weeks ago and saw a 4th gen Firebird with a vanity tag: 8B8B8B8
With the green lettering and the orange leaves in the middle of the tag it is definitely difficult to distinguish, although I wouldn't expect it to be too much trouble to narrow down the Firebirds of that make that had a plate starting and ending with "8" or "B"...

You see them cruising parking lots down here - the Mall, Publix, the beach etc.

It's downright scary how granular a person can be tracked now if someone can access the databases storing info on them.

While there is a good bit of security, there is always a back door. I would say more, but I would be violating a few dozen confidentiality contracts I've signed.

I was going to post that they had been used in my town for a while now, but that's my town on that map...

Florida is getting rid of toll booths all the time in their effort to go to Toll By Plate. They have been tracking the plates since the late 90's. It used to be that the cameras and technology wasn't good enough so they only looked at violators. now it is so good they can do it all automated with no human interaction. It won't be long until we start getting tickets in the mail for speeding too. If they have you going from point A to B at a rate faster than the speed limit then you get ticketed.

Sarasota is now ticketing people in city lots (for instance, the lots by Marina Jack) who back their cars into parking spots. That way the police scanners don't miss your plates. . So, if some tourist misses the NO BACKING signs, wham, ticket. Nice little racket

Sarasota is now ticketing people in city lots (for instance, the lots by Marina Jack) who back their cars into parking spots. That way the police scanners don't miss your plates. . So, if some tourist misses the NO BACKING signs, wham, ticket. Nice little racket
I always thought that was dumb, since the parking passes hang in the from of the car

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT