ADVERTISEMENT

Live updates from Norvell press conference, w/ video (1:15 p.m.)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
What's up, folks?
We're live here at the Varsity Club in Doak Campbell Stadium for our annual luncheon with the FSU coaches.
Mike Norvell is going to speak at 11:30 a.m. and then we'll have lunch before we talk to the rest of the coaching staff.
So, stay here and stay updated throughout the day!
Thanks for being here.

-----------------------------------------

Starts out by praising Josh Storms and the rest of the staff and says the summer program has been great for the players. "I thought that group did a remarkable job." Brings up how they did in the weight room, the classroom and on the field throughout the summer. Talks about body composition of the players and all the work they've put in.
"So proud of the work they've put in. ... They knew it was going to be a challenge. A difficult summer. ... And I thought they answered the call every day. It was a remarkable summer."

"We have a lot of work to do. This fall camp will be one where we push hard, and really try to be aggressive in our installation and our approach." "I like the guys that we have. I like this team."

"It's going to be an exciting camp. I really like the way it's structured."

"When you look at our path, it was fun for me as a coach to see players coaching each other. Because they had a sense of the expectation. ... It's no longer this is because of what coach says. They've seen it ... it takes experience to develop the ownership."

"We've been one of the youngest teams in college football the last few years and we're bringing back that experience. ... that continuity and the consistent message and buy-in from the players I think you're seeing that on a daily basis just from all that experience."

He says he's seeing competition throughout the summer. In the weight room, the position room, everywhere else.

"The consistency has to show up. A flash play here or a flash play there is great, but doing that on a consistent basis is what has to show up with this team." He says the competition at every position helps that. "That competitiveness is there, but it also helps push that consistency."

Says Jordan has done a remarkable job of growing with all eyes on him. "I couldn't be more proud of the offseason that he's had, and just the work he's put in." Says he's really going into the finer details of the position.

Says the expectations are to be their best each and every day before kickoff.
"I'm excited about this team." Says he's excited about the depth, the experience, the competition. "Every day to see that improvement to get ultimately where they understand the standard."

"We have a foundation set. And that's the difference. ... Coach can give a message, talk about the importance, it sounds really good, and you see it play out and you get a better sense of the importance and what it mean to winning. ... I believe we are going to be a much better football team than we were a year ago. ... In all but one game we're sitting there with an opportunity to win the game there at the very end. ... Now, it's time to apply the lessons. And I think this team has really embraced that. ... They really care about each other and they care about how they represent this program."

"Now I think we have a firm foundation to build upon."

On the O-line: "What you have is opportunity. They (O-line transfers) started to earn that trust the day they got here. They're going to get every opportunity ... to showcase why they are the best fit to be a part of the first five. ... You have to have depth, and quality depth, to go in there. ... What I'm excited about is we're going into camp and i see 9, 10, 11 guys to have a realistic chance to put themselves in the rotation."

Says they'll try a lot of different combos up front. Says they have a very specific, detailed plan.

On the incoming summer freshmen: "I love our 22 class. It was great because we had so many newcomers come in and started early." Talks about Armella, Sapp, Early ... "Julian Armella came in the way you desire everyone .. to approach the work. ... We have the right guys. We have guys that love the opportunity to work. ... They're coming into the program and truly trying to be a sponge. ... When you see the talent level of the guys coming in and the potential they have, they're about the right things. ... Malik McClain, Kevin Knowles, Omarion Cooper (all started last year)."

Says he's excited about the class of 23 as well. "It's not just about winning on Signing Day." He says every part of recruiting is preparing to coach them. "The guys we've signed, they're going to be great contributors to this team. ... We started coaching them when we went through the recruiting process. ... You've got to be real. When you find the right ones, they're going to come in here and they're going to be productive. ... All of the championships, all of the teams, it's because you had guys that cared ... it mattered who they represented ... and this team, I can tell you, they absolutely care about Florida State. ... and when you have that, you're willing to put in a little bit more. Because it's not just about them."

Asked about Atkins: Says he's done a remarkable job since January and that the players "believe in the man. They believe in the leader." Says there are a lot of unknowns within the offense. He says there are talented guys at the skill positions, but who is going to emerge?

On Maurice Smith and Robert Scott: "I think those guys are great examples."

He says Robert Cooper had a phenomenal summer. "It's truly special." He also says D.J. Lundy looks different. "Wait until you see him tomorrow." The definition, the way his body is built, says Lundy did exactly what they wanted him to do.

On return issues: Says they've looked at all aspects. Says personnel has been enhanced, mentions Pittman. "He's a very explosive player with the ball in his hands." Says he's very excited about Deuce Spann and Trey Benson in the kick return game. Then rolls out Sam McCall and AZ Thomas as guys competing for return spots. "We're always as a coaching staff looking to grow and get better. ... That's something we looked really hard at."

"this program has experienced a lot of change. I talked about the foundation earlier, but that had to be established. We needed to see the carry over. ... There was not enough continuity and consistency in the message for so many years, so as the leadership grew they didn't have the advantage of understanding what the message was. ... Some of the greatest steps we're going to take as a program ... is you have the example of good and bad."

Says he likes hearing the players talk about the program. "You start to hear the players say things that are critically important. ... That's the process of it. I would love to come in and just flip the switch ... you look at the returning production, the guys that have been there, good and bad, they get to point to the lessons learned. ... It's not a blind shot. They know what they need to do. Now they just have to go do it."

On the WRs vs. DBs: Says the program is all about trying to find the one-on-one matchups. ... "I'm excited about our personnel. ... I'm excited about Pokey Wilson. He's coming into this fall camp, he's a different body. ... You see his leadership, his consistency. ... I'm excited to see him in those one on one opportunities." Mentions McClain, Portier ... it's going to come down to those one on one opportunities."

Says the one word he would use to describe this team: "Family."

"When you have people that truly care about each other, that care about the name, what it represents, what it looks like, we've seen some great strides when it comes to that. ... When it's a true challenge, they're embracing that work. ... What I'm excited about is the relationship and the work ... now we've got to put on display ... to showcase the identity of who we're going to be."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.