ADVERTISEMENT

Lol, look at this complete waste of government money

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
The government can't buy a cup of coffee without wasting tax payer dollars so this isn't too suprising.

Very true. But it's just such a shockingly huge waste and did you see those new logos? Laughable, I would have turned them down on Fiver.

Seriously, If I'd been tasked I'd just throw it up on 99designs with a $500 pricetag and you would literally get hundreds of designs within a couple of weeks and most quite decent. You could even alert the public and throw out a press release saying "here's a contest everyone can throw in a design even kiddies" to help with the rebranding. I would have told them how to do this...for free since I support the library system. Not charged 1.3 mil for the end result.

Reactions: dmm5157
Wow. That even trumps the State of Tennessee, which spent forty-six grand on this...

8083890_G.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
They should've had the local elementary schools participate in a logo contest - you involve the children and raise awareness among the target audience, and you'd get some really neat, original logos.

Agree, should have done it for free and had it be a contest. Complete and utter waste, I'd like to see what connection someone in that committee had with the company that provided those logos. Unbelievable.

I can make better logos using my iMac. It's what I do for my business.

On a side note, Seattle is a awesome city to visit.

The only real somewhat negative thing to Seattle is that it's so close to Vancouver which is one of the best cities in the world that it looks poorer in relation. Seattle is a 9 out of 10, but Vancouver is a 10.

I would/will move to Seattle in a heartbeat if my wife gets a job there. I would move instantaneously as I work from home outside of traveling anyways.

Agree, should have done it for free and had it be a contest. Complete and utter waste, I'd like to see what connection someone in that committee had with the company that provided those logos. Unbelievable.

Oh it 100% has to be a kickback. There's no way on Earth they should have planned on blowing $1.3 mil on a simple rebrand. I've got a little side company I own called Superpac Organizers where I work with a campaign manager to help setup Superpacs and the logo can be done for $500, you can get probably 80 hours of a dedicated phone bank with ten callers and a script $8-10k, and can have a tv and radio campaign for the city for about $40k. So realistically if I was doing this on the open market you're talking maybe $60-70k and thats with everyone getting paid and no volunteers. Since it's the library you could probably organize a volunteer phone bank for free and the local media buys would probably be reduced at least if not given for free as a tax write-off/charity.

This was a gargantuan waste of money.

The only real somewhat negative thing to Seattle is that it's so close to Vancouver which is one of the best cities in the world that it looks poorer in relation. Seattle is a 9 out of 10, but Vancouver is a 10.

I would/will move to Seattle in a heartbeat if my wife gets a job there. I would move instantaneously as I work from home outside of traveling anyways.

I definitely agree. Vancouver is amazing. I went to both last year back to back. We are planning on moving to Seattle in a few years depending on a few things. You can bet frequent trips to Vancouver will be made if that happens.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Let's not act like large companies are any less frivolous with their idiotic branding campaigns or use of consultants.

Let's not act like large companies are any less frivolous with their idiotic branding campaigns or use of consultants.
They aren't, plus that isn't tax payer money they are spending.

I've consulted plenty for both the public and private sector and the government jobs tended to have overall costs 5-6 times that of the private sector ones for the equivalent end product. I've actually spent five months on a government project that would have been have been completed in two weeks in the corporate world.

Reactions: TexSkills
Our city counsel / government is no different than other ineffective governments. Seattle is a great city. We do have our problems but the economy is booming and it's a great part of the country to raise a family. As others have mentioned, our close proximity to other great cities like Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR only make Seattle an even more attractive city to live. I was born and raised in Florida and I moved to Seattle for 2 years back in 2002.

Regulations, federal, state, county, city result directly to in increased acquisition costs for damn near everything.

"Nothing is easier than spending the public money. It does not appear to belong to anybody. The temptation is overwhelming to bestow it on somebody." -Calvin Coolidge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT