ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Lottie Woad begins play in Curtis Cup

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State’s Lottie Woad begins play Friday as a member of the Great Britain and Ireland team in the 2024 Curtis Cup Match (Aug. 30-Sept. 1) at the Sunningdale Golf Club in Sunningdale, England. As the World’s No. 1 ranked player in each of the last five weeks of the WAGR rankings, Woad headlines the eight European golfers who will play against the United States in the 43rd edition of the championship.

Woad is one of seven members of the GB&I team who will make their first appearance in the Curtis Cup.

Woad is quite familiar with the Sunningdale Golf Club as it is located just 25 minutes from her family home in Farnham. She has been victorious in two events at Sunningdale – the 2021 Critchley Salver and the 2022 Sunningdale Foursomes -- and considers Sunningdale the favorite course she has played in her junior career. The Sunningdale Foursomes (a nearly 100-year old event) features male and female, and well as professional and amateur golfers all competing for a single trophy.

"I'm very much looking forward to playing in the Curtis Cup,” said Woad. “We've got a strong team, we all get along great, and Sunningdale is a fantastic course, so it's going to be a fun week."

Woad is joined on the GB&I team by Seminole Hall of Famer Karen Stupples, who will serve as an Assistant Captain for the team. Stupples has not only played in the Curtis Cup, but she won the 2004 British Open at the Sunningdale Golf Club. She played for the GB&I team on the Curtis Cup winning team in 1996 in Killarney, Ireland, and the runner-up 1998 team in Minneapolis, Minn.

The Curtis Cup is the most prestigious team trophy for women amateur golfers and contested every two year by teams representing GB&I and the United States. The event was first played in 1932. The format includes three foursomes and three four-ball matches on each of the first two days, and eight singles matches on the final day.

The United States leads the all-time series by a 31-8 margin with three ties during the 42 contested events.

2024 Curtis Cup GB&I Team
Lottie Woad, Florida State University

Sara Byrne, University of Miami
Beth Coulter, Arizona State University
Hannah Darling, University of South Carolina
Aine Donegan, Louisiana State University
Lorna McClymont, University of Sterling
Euphemie Rhodes, Wake Forest University
Patience Rhodes, Arizona State University

2024 Curtis Cup United States Team
Zoe Campos, UCLA
Anna Davis, Auburn University