ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Lottie Woad is the low amateur at Chevron Championship

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State sophomore Lottie Woad is in a tie for 10th place, ranks as the low amateur, and will play over the weekend in her first career major championship as she continued her stellar play at the Chevron Championship at the Club at Carlton Woods. Woad has carded scores of 71-69 for a 36-hole total of 140 with 10 birdies. She is just one of 16 players in the field of 132 golfers at 4 under par or better in the LPGA’s first major championship of the year.

Woad is one of 73 players who made the cut and qualified for to play on Saturday and Sunday. She is one of just six amateur golfers who began play in the event and just one of two amateurs (Jasmine Koo who will attend Southern Cal in the fall of 2024) who made Friday’s cut.

“I’m feeling good,” said Woad after her round of 69 on Friday. “I’m playing well. I’d grade it pretty highly. I was just trying to make sure I made the weekend. That was my aim for this week. I didn’t know what position exactly, but I’m in a good position now so I’m going to keep trying to move up.”

Woad earned an exemption into the Chevron field by winning the 2024 Augusta National Amateur Championship on April 6.

“My goal wasn’t just to make the cut; I wanted to play the weekend,” Woad told the attending media at the Chevron. “I didn’t have a number in mind where I wanted to finish. I was trying to stick to my plan and shoot under par. But now, I’m only three back at the moment, I’m going to see how close I can get. I’m just trying to contend.”

The international field at the Chevron began play on Thursday with 34 major champions including Lydia Ko and Lilia Vu, 71 LPGA Tour winners and athletes from 26 different countries and regions. Woad is competing to lift the Dinah Shore Trophy, take a leap into the lake at The Club at Carlton Woods and solidify themselves as a major championship winner.

This year marks the 53rd official playing of The Chevron Championship. The tournament was first contested in 1972 and was elevated to major status in 1983.

“The last two weeks have definitely been a whirlwind,” said Woad. “I didn’t have a chance to let Augusta sink in, really. I obviously took a lot of confidence from Augusta so I’m just trying to use that for this week.”

Woad carded five birdies in her second round including two on her first six holes (and three on her first eight) to immediately go under par where she remained throughout the round. She closed with two birdies on her final eight holes and was a many as five strokes under during the round.

Woad, as the winner of the 2024 ANWA receives invitations to the next five ANWAs, the 2024 U.S. Women's Open, the 2024 Women’s Open, the 2024 Chevron Championship, the 2024 Evian Championship and any USGA, R&A and PGA of America amateur championships for which she is eligible for one year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT