ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Metraux shoots in 66, moves into first place at Olympics

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State's Morgane Metraux fired an 8-under par 66 in the second round and is in first place after two rounds of the Olympic Women's Golf Championship at Le Golf National. She holds a one-stroke lead over Yin Ruoning of the People's Republic of China with 36 holes remaining to be played in the tournament. The 27-year-old Seminole All-American, who is playing for her home country of Switzerland, carded two eagles and four birdies in a bogey-free front nine holes to reach 10 under par for the tournament in the first round. Metraux fired an 8-under 28 on the front nine to set a new Olympic record on Thursday

Metraux was one of the first six golfers to begin play in the round and is the clubhouse leader as of 9:15 am ET on Thursday.

Live scoring of the championship can be found here.

Metraux began Thursday in a tie for third place after carding a 2-under 70 in Round 1, and caught fire early in her second round with a birdie on the par-4 first hole to move to 3-under. She then eagled the par-5 third hole, and earned off three more birdies on holes No. 4, 5 and 6 to move to 8-under for the tournament and 6-under for the round.

Metraux totaled pars on holes seven and eight but closed out her incredible opening round with another eagle on the par-5 ninth hole, making a nearly 16-footer after once again finding the green in two.

“There wasn't a particular shot,” said Metraux. “I hit really good shots on one and two which I think are some of the hardest holes, especially with some of those pins. The pin on two was really difficult. To to be this close to the hole there on that hole was crucial for the confidence and for going into the round. But I didn't think there was one in particular (that gave me a notion that it could be a great day).”

Metraux’s front nine score of is the first 28 to be recorded on nine holes in both the men’s and women’s Olympic golf competitions this year. The score is also two shots lower than Metraux’s career-low nine-hole score on the LPGA Tour. She posted a front-nine 30 during Round 1 of the 2023 Walmart NW Arkansas Championship.

“There was barely any wind this morning,” said Metraux after her round. “Perfect conditions and the course is just perfect. If you hit a good putt, you know it's going to go in because the greens are rolling so well. I was really calm. I knew my game is in a good spot, and I was rolling it well. It was actually surprisingly very calm starting the round. The difference between yesterday and today at the beginning is just the putts that fell. It just brought me confidence going forward and I just tried to stay as present as I could and one shot at a time.”

The Florida State graduate and Seminole All-American is relishing her time in Paris.

“It's always fun to see Swiss flags and people shouting my name,” said Metraux. “When I make a birdie, they make a lot of noise. It's fun to know there's so many people supporting me. I don't take it as pressure. I'm just happy I can perform in front of them and you know have that much support. So it's really fun.”

Golf Channel will air the 2024 Women’s Olympic Golf event on TV.

Olympic Women’s Golf TV schedule
Friday, August 9: 3 a.m.-end of round (Golf Channel)
Saturday, August 10: 3 a.m.-end of round (Golf Channel)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT