ADVERTISEMENT

Mosquito Killer

GSUnole

Walk-on
Mar 29, 2002
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the mosquito's are terrible where we live (Georgia). Has anyone had any success with the electric zappers, or some other type of system. Reading the reviews on Home Depot and Lowes website, its hard to gauge what exactly to believe.

the zappers zap bugs, but i've been told they draw as many as they kill.

there is also some sort of device that runs on propane but is a few hundred bucks.

the best thing you can do is get some bats, not kidding. home depot sells bat houses, but you just have to hope some bats come and live there. there is a church near us that has an old schoolhouse with a chimney and litterally a few hunder bats live there and they never have any mosquitos.

They're pretty brutal here in Tallahassee, especially at the new house I just moved into. I've been considering spraying the hell out of everything but I doubt it will do much good. There's just too much vegetation. Part of me would love to have a zapper. If nothing else, just for the satisfaction of listening to them fry.

Reactions: gwgwi
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the mosquito's are terrible where we live (Georgia). Has anyone had any success with the electric zappers, or some other type of system. Reading the reviews on Home Depot and Lowes website, its hard to gauge what exactly to believe.

The Therma-cell things have worked for me (at least it seems that way), but they don't cover a very big area.

Therma-cells work well. They make a "personal' size (geared for hunting/fishing) that will keep them off the person who's wearing it. I also have a lantern style that keeps works pretty good, but you have to be fairly close to it. I sit it on an outdoor table at our lake place; if you're seated around the table it will keep them away from you. I'd guess it repels within 5 to 10 feet of where it's sitting.

• Northwest Florida – Researchers at the Florida A&M University entomology center tested several brands of traps over more than three weeks in a mosquito-infested area surrounded by salt marsh.The machines included the Mega-Catch Ultra, the Mosquito Magnet Liberty, the Dragonfly, the SonicWeb, and an earlier Lentek model. Each ran about 3.5 hours a day during the test. When it was over, the Mega-Catch trap had triumphed by killing nearly 3,000 mosquitoes compared to about 2,000 for the Mosquito Magnet. The Lentek trap got about 1,000. The rest were below 500 mosquitoes each, including the SonicWeb, which barely even registered.

I destroyed the mosquito population in my neighborhood a few years back. They were so brutal that even with a screened in porch enough would get through and even in to the house that my daughter was getting bit in her sleep.

I used the Mosquito power trap. Good freakin bye. It took 3 weeks running continuous (1 full tank of propane) then another tank of propane the rest of that season. That was 7 years ago and this summer it started getting bad again after not using it after that. It broke from being outside but I'll probably buy another next year. During it's use though I probably killed millions of the bastards. They shrivel up after they die and I was dumping them out by the fist full.

If you get one note that the Mosquito magnet has no option to run at dusk / dawn like the powertrap does. That means every 3 weeks you are out a full propane tank where the dawn/dusk cycle is all you really need after the first 3 weeks and the tank lasts months. With that said my brother had the top end mosquito magnet and it worked for his house in Pensacola area well and didn't have to plug it in which was a nice feature since I mowed over the cable a couple times and had to repair it.

Also key if you use one of these is follow the freakin' instructions. Proper placement goes a LONG way. I also happen to live in an area where the wind blows the same direction most of the time... that helps big time because if we lived in a place with confused winds they don't work nearly as well.

@GSUnole where at in South Georgia? I know a guy who owns a mosquito control business and the stuff absolutely is magic. Our shop is surrounded by dense woods and swamp and Mosquitos were so bad earlier this year you could open a truck door without the truck filling up with them. He does a treatment every 30-45 days and you will not see one

Check out themosquitoswat.com located out of Waycross. Not sure if they travel as far as Savannah but if they do, it's worth the investment, 2 times over. For what it's worth stuff also appears to take care of all kinds of bugs, gnats and all.

@GSUnole where at in South Georgia? I know a guy who owns a mosquito control business and the stuff absolutely is magic. Our shop is surrounded by dense woods and swamp and Mosquitos were so bad earlier this year you could open a truck door without the truck filling up with them. He does a treatment every 30-45 days and you will not see one

heard about this... one called mosquito joe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT