ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atarp1

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2012
As an FSU alumnus, former college football player, former Highschool Coach (who helped FSU coaches Amato and others evaluate kids), and being a 30+ year rabid FSU fan here's my thoughts and opinion on this mess of 0-3 record:

#1) Our baseline should NOT be Coach Taggart. Too many on here are being blinded about Coach Norvell because he's allegedly more organized than Taggart or because he's allegedly more disciplined than Taggart. Taggart was a horrible fit for FSU and should not have ever been our Headcoach to begin with and I was on record saying this too many times to count! Our baseline for our football coach now and in the future should be Championship coaches like Bowden, Jimbo (early years), and other proven Championship coaches in the college football market.

Example: I used to get asked to look at 3 Star and 4 Star kids from time to time by FSU coaches years ago for my thoughts (1st boots on the ground so to speak). I would say "Hey Jonny is a D1 player and he's good, but he's NOT FSU caliber good" OR "Billy will help you win against Duke or Troy, but you won't win with him against Miami or UF". My baseline was former FSU greats and former FSU All Americans.

#2) Coach Norvell is NOT the right fit for FSU. I have gone on record to say it and I will say it again for the record. My reasoning is (a) Lack of proven winning coaching history at this level (Power 5). Yes, I acknowledge he had some success at lower level Memphis in the AAC. But he did inherit a decent team that Fuentes built up which led to Fuentes having the opportunity to go to Va Tech. Heck, 2 or 3 years out of his 5 years Norvell couldn't get past UCF led Scott Frost teams; (b) His poor hires in Offensive Coordinators & Defensive Coordinators - The coaching and talent level up here in Power 5 ball (ACC) is way too good to bring in sub par Coordinators. Think about it when Coach Bowden hired a subpar OC (Jeffrey) we saw a steady decline, when Jimbo hired a subpar DC (guy after Pruitt) we saw a steady decline in performance, decline in development of players, and decline in wins, etc.; (c) Not properly addressing a major glaring need of the team at QB. McKenzie was not the answer after not playing for 2/3 years to take the job from Travis. Travis is a D1 QB, but not a FSU QB, He's a FSU "athlete" much like Anquan Boldin playing QB against Georgia. QB is not the best use of his skill set in my opinion. The 2 kids he signed either are not ready or wrongly evaluated (not FSU QB quality).....Honestly, I can go on here but you get my point, he's not the answer.

#3) Too many on here are sugar coating our record and being apologist for Norvell. Coach Bill Parcels was right "You are who your record says you are". We are 0-3 and not a good team right now and part of the blame is Coach Norvell and these coaches. His record here for the 2 years is NOT FSU worthy, just like Taggarts was NOT FSU worthy. Norvell gets NO passes, just like Taggart got No passes. Norvell has made some bone headed in game coaching decisions, and so has his Coordinators (both OC & DC) that have led to losses.

#4) Yes, I know we are in a financial pickle and stuck with Norvell but we need to (a) demand a change in both Coordinators after this year because they are not competent at this level; (b) Immediately go out and sign a All American JUCO QB AND a Grad Transfer QB (sign both); and (c) Put Travis in a slot/slash role much how New Orleans was using their QB who lost out to Jamesis. Travis is too dynamic of an athlete to be on the sidelines. You can not compete at this level without consistently Good QB play.

Example: Think about Coach Bowden dynasty years and Jimbo early years when we were dominant and the 2 constants were good to great QB play and good to great defensive play!

#5) We must recruit, sign, and develop ELITE talent. I have said this many times my friends Son was Broward County player of the Year and never considered FSU. He signed with Alabama over Ohio State. I have too many stories like this. I'm not talking about 3 star players or D1 players. I'm talking about signing elite talent that are program changers and game changers. When you have time go back and look at the recruiting classes of the Dynasty years and/or go back and look at Jimbos recruiting classes. Look at the Elite talent that changed the program

Example: Sammie, Deion, Charlie, Marvin Jones, Jamesis, Lamarucs Joyner, Dalvin Cook, etc. We are signing too many D1 players that are good enough to win against Duke and Troy but not good enough to win against UF, Clemson, and UM!

#6) I will continue to support financially my school and continue to look at the games BUT this product on the field is hard to stomach, let alone the freaking calls I get from the idiot UF and UM fans and SEC lovers. I do NOT want to continue to loose to UF and UM and have to live in Florida. I have found that a good portion of the UF fans are obnoxious and idiotic! and a good portion of the UM fans are just delusional!

#7) Go Noles - Nole for Life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News